HybridZ

Performance upgrades on my 350?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 1978 Datsun 280z w/ a '74 Chevy Nova 350 engine, auto 350turbo tranny, stock rear-end, and 4-barrel carb. Don't ask what other stuff there is, because I'm mechanically-challenged and am just aware of the common sense stuff. Anyhow, what sort of mods can I get for more torque? I'm looking to spend around $600 CDN.....i.e. what are the best-boost-for-the-buck?

Cam and lifters will set you back $80 US for a Crane Energizer, go with the 272 for a mostly stock motor. A Weiand 8004 or Edelbrock performer intake manifold is $100 US, a set of shorty headers will also be $100 US, and the rest I would spend on ignition. I like the ready-to-run MSD billet distributor for $250 US which will give you a magnetic pickup you can add a CDI to at a later date. Which all is a little more than you wanted to spend, but should be worth an easy 50hp.

"i.e. what are the best-boost-for-the-buck?"

1) Carb and timing tuned up if not already optimized (easy power in timing and mixture), both you can potentially play with yourself

2) Cam kit (assuming valve springs in good shape, if not they must be replaced as no cam will make up for them)

3)if above two go well or are done then an intake, should be able to find one used easily as chevy intakes are being swapped ALL the time

good luck

a carefully matched cam, lifters and full length headers will give you the most hp/torque for your money, but keep in mind that any cam that will give you a big boost in hp/tq numbers may also require that you get better valve springs and have extra clearances machined on your cylinder heads.a crane # 113841 solid lifter cam and headers can easily get you up to 80hp on a stock 350 chevy (depends on which cylinder heads you have) BUT YOU WILL NEED THE BETTER SPRINGS< AND CLEARANCES MACHINED ON MOST STOCK CYLINDER HEADS TO GET IT TO WORK.

Oh yeah,

I've experienced how well an empty bottle works. I tried out my LT1 dry system with an empty bottle (grabbed the wrong one from the garage).

"Hmmm... I thought there would be mnore of a kick than that."

Nitrous is cheap and easy, but it's also the biggest pain in the butt as far as power adders go. Refilling the bottle after a few runs is quite annoying. I guess I'm glad I only run the 125hp shot. I can get about 10 - 12 runs (depending on the bottle pressure) before the tank starts getting low.

-Andy