HybridZ

Aftermarket console shifters

Grog

Has anyone successfully installed the console style B&M Megashifter or Hammer shifter in their Z, while retaining the stock console? The Hurst Quarterstick needs no introduction, but I thought that either B&M console shiftyer might be an attractive alternative. Thoughts/coments/recommendations?

Grog

I have a B&M ratchet shifter in my 240, but I have not integrated the console yet. The B&M shifter housing is much wider, and the whole mechanism is higher. I've haven't worked on solving that issue yet (upgraded brake project is current focus), I'm thinking a custom console is what it's going to take to look good.

Im using an old 4sp shifter with my auto. I welded the 3 linkage arms into one unit and had to remove alot on bothends to get all the gears. works great but no lock out yet. since the arm still moves side to side i want to make a gated plate for it. briefly messed around with an idea for a plate but went on to somthing else instead. if i mounted it back a little more the concole would work( at the time wasn`t planning on using a concole) right now im using the oval boot and silver painted bezel w/ a 4" shifter handle and white shifter ball, looks and works great!!!

mark

Guest De Schmaydee

....i put a pro-ripper in my zx w/a hammer on it.......used the original boot and console etc.......just gotta remember to take the knob off before putting on the boot.......(sorry....hehehehe)......s[/img]

I have the B&M Hammer shifter in my 71 Z. A friend of mine helped me fabricate a box that fits down in the trans tunnel just above tranny. This allowed me to drop shifter in and have it only stick up maybe 4 inches. I think we dropped it in the tunnel 3 to 4 inches total.

We just fabbed a aluminum box and cut out a hole in the tunnel and pop riveted it in place and then siliconed/sealed it in air tite.

Mike

Guest De Schmaydee

.....mine bolted right up.....in an 82zxt borg-warner t5......i'm not sure if were talking about the same shifter (or car).......mine's a pro-ripper w/a hammer knob on the end of it (you can put anything there)....its a short throw w/2 adjustments...i set mine lower for the shortest throw...but either will work on my car........s

Zfan, could you provide a reference picture of the Hammershifter install in your Z?I would appreciate seeing a finished look.

All, I think there has been some confusion based on a few of the replies I have seen based on my original post. The shifters I am refering to are automatics; the Hammershifter et al are similar to the popular Megashifter, albeit it is small to fit into late model 'Stangs and Camaros/Firebirds. If anyone has a automatic shifter they have used with good results AND retain the stock console, please weigh in. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

Grog

Guest Big Phil

I used a Lokar tailmount shifter on my 4l60e trans. It has a intergrated neutral safety switch and reverse lockout. I chose it because it looks like a stock datsun manual shifter, you can't even tell iI have an automatic shifter until you look very closely. I'm using the stock 280z console and shifter boot. The length of the shifter is 8 inches.

Here a link to thier website.

http://www.lokar.com/shifters.html

• 3 weeks later...

I mounted a BnM Camaro console style shifter in my 71 240. It stuck up WAY to high for the interior of the Z so i too flushed the whole shifter down into the trans tunnel. I used thick steel straps (think oversized plummers tape..) to form FandR brackets that form-fitted to the trans tunnel. This dropped the whole setup about 3-4" down into the tunnel. I plan on using a rubber cutout of an old truck inner tube to seal the shift hole off. The end result is a very sturdy mounting base for the shifter that sits just about right imho. Sorry dont have any pics of this...but I could snap some if needed.

RJ