HybridZ

weatherstripping

jzd14

well, it's time for me to weather-proof my 240z, but first i need your guys help

i already know about the nissan weatherstripping (way to expensive), my questions are more for the aftermarket sources

i've been looking at the weatherstripping kits in MSA and Victory British and the other aftermarket places and have some questions for you guys who have purchased these

first of all, these aren't the Precision kit in disguise, right? I've heard a lot of bad stuff about them and wouldn't want to get stuck with their product

second, how did u like the kit? did any of the pieces leak? hard to install? did the pieces fit correctly? was the door weatherstriipping hard (so u'd have to slam the door) or soft? can u get the one piece left and right door weatherstripping through these kits (i've heard the one piece is better then the two piece?

i just need the general info please

your answers will extremely helpful

thx in advance!

I've heard of people breaking their windows cuz they had to slam their doors shut...I got this info from Zcar.com but you can use the door weather strip from a Hyundai something coupe. I did this and it fits well, still have to shut the door a little hard though.

I also tried a rear hatch weather strip from an old Celica Supra, didn't fit too nicely.

What I need are those rubber window squeeges on the outside of the window. They're mounted to the chrome thing at the bottom of the window.

Owen

Actually, the Precision kit is pretty good except for the door seals. I used the complete kit on my car and it worked out great. It's a huge bag of rubber! All the seals fit and work well EXCEPT the door seals!!! I ended up using the factory ones. Quite expensive but it's better than slamming (and I do mean SLAMMING) the doors all the time. A lot of other people have had the same problem.

Also, there are a few of the odd ball smaller seals missing from the kit. If you need them then just pick them up from MSA or a dealer.

You might want to try contacting the people at zbarn.com, I used to live near them and they had a couple of options at that time for different weatherstripping kits. Real helpful and friendly guys.

Hope this helps.

Just got my latest MSA flyer yesterday. It says this,"After years of engineering we now have a quality reproduction weatherstrip kit." What they don't tell you is that the "engineering" was done on their customers.

I just wonder if it is true and they have finally solved the door slammer problem. Has anyone talked to them lately about this? The price is right at $189.95 for the 18 piece kit. But if you still have to go to Nissan for the door seals then the deal breaks down pretty quick.

Some of you so-cal guys drop in and ask the hard questions and then fill in the rest of us.

I just purchased the MSA weatherstrip kit and everything looks really good but I tried the door weatherstrip and there is no way the door is going to close. I read where someone used the universal weatherstrip from JC Whitney so I purchased it and it works much better but I have to slam the door to get it to close. I've yet to investigate where the hangup is but it appears it's the area around the lower corner of the door facing the fender. Has anyone else solved this problem with trimming or something? I'd really like to avoid purchasing factory seals at this point seeing I already have enough invested in the weatherstipping I have now.

I remember talking with Yuichi a little while ago, and he mentioned that the 240Z and 280Z Precision kits were different. So much so that the 240Z doors could not shut. The 280Z kits are supposed to be fine, so I hear, for use on the 240Z and the doors should shut nicely. I believe the kits are now marketed as the same part number.

However, I'm not taking this as gospel because of what 2adz wrote above. Hrm. Makes me wonder.

Davy

I think if you keep your options open, and are not to particular about originality, there are a wide number of weatherstripping options available. For instance, I use the door seals off a 90-92 Hyundai Elantra. I just happened to be poking around one of the local wrecking yards one fine weekend, and the seals on these cars looked just like the stock Datsun ones. Believe me, I looked hard at them and couldn't detect a discernable difference between the two. So, I grabbed them for five bucks and stuck them on the Z. They work perfectly, with no leaks and the doors shut like it came from the factory. I run up to Carlisle, PA during the swap meets and pick weatherstripping up from some of the vendors. It's hit or miss, but usually a hit and the seals are much cheaper. I have a few Sof-Seal pieces that would work for a few areas.

Grog.

maybe i've just been living right, but I didn't have that much of a problem with the precision kit, after I adjusted the ... what the heck do you call it? The piece of metal that surrounds the door glass. The window channel, maybe? I moved it out just a bit and lubricated all the latches, and everything now seals well and closes easily. Before I adjusted it, it did take a bit of a slam, but now everything's happy.