HybridZ

is 2.5" piping big enough?

KiD-ViD

I am helping a friend install a CA18DET engine in his '89 240sx and we went to the local muffler shop to see what they could do for us. The biggest pipe they can do is 2.5". I am thinking that should be fine for this turbo 4cyl engine. Any one think we should find another shop that will do 3"? thanks in advance.

the 2 1/2" system will be good for 300 hp and run well, but if you are going to go for 500 then I would use the 3" You really cant compare the V8 engines to the 6 and 4 cylinder engines. The V8 has two exhaust manifolds and they will flow well at 2 1/2" each side, but with the 6 and 4 cylinder engines you are building more power per cylinder and running through one exhaust pipe. Also you are going with a turbo so 3" is a better flowing exhaust for that application.

2.5" is large enough for 300, but if your goal is more I would go with the 3" now. You don't want or need any backpressure after the turbo. On a stock 4 cyl turbo @ 7 psi 3" might be overkill but if you are after every last hp and don't want anything it interfere with it spooling as quickly as it can then get 3".I would also find a shop that can mandrel bend the tube, or use pre bent mandrel tube.

2.5 will be fine, 3" usually is only mandrel bent and not every shop carries pipe that big, if youre worried that much about flow dont run a muffler.

i got my 3" system prefabbed as part of a trade, or i would have went 2.5" with a cutout.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Here are some numbers I copied from a website.....They didn't say how they got these numbers but they do seem a little large to me?

Exhaust Tubing Size Chart

HORSERPOWER DIAMETER

650-800 - 4" (duals).

550-650 - 3 1/2" (duals).

450-550 - 3 1/2" (duals).

375-450 - 3" (duals).

Scavenging and tuning aside, I would say it's a matter of CFM in getting that stuff out the back end, whether it be 4, 6, 8 , or 12. single or dual?