HybridZ

best motor for 240z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Your Car is Slow
I was pretty convinced I was going to do an LT1 swap... but have since picked up a turbo car

Why not a Turbo LT1 :D

Guest Thurem

This is the only question that CANNOT be answered by the members on this board, HA HA. Good luck. Oh, and go and buy that JTR book.

Thure

Why not a Turbo LT1 :D

Ha, it could be done, but to be done right a full rebuild would be in order. The engine was never built with boost in mind, and it wont take more than about 550 HP reliably, even if you dont detonate the rods will go. The PCM has to be tricked to run past 520gm/s past the MAF, and to run injectors bigger than 50# I'd need a seperate injector box for low impedance stuff. Basically hassle, expense, and fabrication.

If I ran a V8 it would have been an NA car, somewhere between 500-650 HP would have been nice, but in a 2200 pound car that I am trying to road race, it would be so damn fast I dont know if I'd make one lap alive. A second Z car for a V8 may be a consideration, and maybe LS1 stuff will come down in price by then, but rest assured it will either be street only or it will need serious meats to stick to the track.

When you get to bang the gears it can actually be fun, in a fast car you never much do that without risking serious jail time. For someone who really wants to learn the ropes, a slow car will also teach you better (skill wise). You are forced to optimize every corner and every braking point, and every entry and exit in a slower car, or it shows in your times. I could do 60 in first in the Camaro, and I could toss it in second and be near 90 within a couple seconds of that. I think when you hit mid-low 11 second car or thereabouts, its just too fast to make much use of without IMO being scary, in terms of forementioned jail time if nothing else. A car can very easily be faster than the driver, and in my case, it was faster than me by far on a track.

I also looked at a turbo as an "easy" way to turn up the HP later on, make good low end torque (so will a V8 obviously), get 'good' MPG, plugs right in "on the cheap," and it would be a change of pace and something new to play with compared to a heads/cam V8. I can also tell people that ask how I'm so fast, that I just have an itty bitty 21-year old 2.8L 6 cylinder :D - priceless

Guest Your Car is Slow

The smiley was for sarcasm.....T88/SP74 powered LT1 on the way :)

Tis the whole reason I bought the car in the first place :D

Oh well, thats how I feel about 12 second cars or slower, but there has to be a point of practicality and I prefer to road race vs just something fast for several seconds at a time on the street. I'd still like to have a bike someday, just dont have the dough right now.

Guest Your Car is Slow

Road courses are fun..I used to play on some back when I had my impala SS (yea..not exactly a juggernaut of handling..but it was fun).

Im just addicted to pure accelleration....its like a drug :D

I understand that, but honestly even a low 11 second car would scare me within a matter of seconds on the freeway, for short bursts in second gear it was a blast though. I wouldn't mind having that again, just need to be carefull with it on the twisties, very carefull.

There is an Impy SS that does road course stuff, I think he turned a 2:15 at Thill, when a Z06 will hit 2:08-2:10 depending on the driver, so 2:15 is pretty good.