HybridZ

My search for an IC is finaly over

ratedZ

i-2.JPG

The first deal with the silver Isuzu NPR's fell through so I had to find another one :( These NPR's are hard to come by but I was able to find the largest NPR. It's all black and it's the same one that ScottyGNZ used. It was actually kind of funny watching how much the silver polished NPR's were going for in Ebay while the lowly black NPR IC sold for less. Don't these people know that the black one is the largest one....oh I forgot, it won't have the "bling bling" factor lol. Anyway, it's a good thing that most people are worried more about the look of the IC otherwise I prolly still won't have one.

Anyway, I also got the 2-1/4" piping from Precision Engines and man those pipes are pretty thick compared to the 3" piping I have for the intake. Well, it looks like it's time to get busy with the IC. Just need to barrow a saws-all to do some "minor" cutting....yeah right. I'll be documenting the install to hopefully help others with 280zxt's. Should have it all done before Nationals.

Here's the link to the IC...forgot to mention that it's brand spanking new :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33602&item=2404932302

PS. Hey BobH...any luck in finding an NPR?

Yeah I saw that one....it didn't look familiar so I was kind of afraid to bid on it. So I just bought what was already tried and done by another Z'er. Infact, remembering all the NPR IC's I've looked at for the past month I don't recall seeing that style. Can anyone verify that this is infact an NPR IC?

i-1.JPG

that thing is huge, youre gonna have to gut the front of your car something fierce to get that sucker in there, but it will work extremely well. im lagging on putting mine in, i have a smaller npr, but it will be just fine for my goals with the car. are you gonna go up on the turbo as well?

keep us updated on your install.

Yep, I will be doing the hybrid turbo swap soon. I have an extra T3 laying in my garage waiting to be massaged :D For now I'm using a rebuild T3. I'm just doing things in steps as I don't have the money to do the whole shabang at once (15 month old baby is very expensive :shock:) Once the IC is set up, my next thing will be a T3/T4 turbo. I figured it will be a few months until this happens so I went with a 2-1/4" piping. Once I get the hybrid, I will be replacing the cool side of the IC piping with a 2.5" piping. All in time I guess...

PS. as for the spacing, there should be plenty of room for that IC. I only have an intake up front and I removed the grill also. I'll be removing the AC fan as well once the IC comes in. But yes it will be a tight fit :shock:

hey im getting flown to vegas on an art gig late march, end of my spring break-------------------i know you live there, but im coming to your town to eat buffet, drink, gamble, and talk like a pimp walk like a mack! love to check out your ride then, yeah?

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I found a NPR. BTW, what I got, is nearly identical to what you have, just not painted black. It is HUGE. The inlets/outlets are nearly 3 inches, 2.75. Same dimensions as the auction you showed except core height, and I will have to cut the lower support,(out to the lower front valance) to clear it. This is about as big of an intercooler you can put in front of a Z. I'm going to cut the inlet/outlets and angle them properly to fit the Z. Bottom line, the difference between the "large" and "medium" NPR type intercoolers is just over 2 inches taller on the core. 14 inches tall vs 16 5/8 tall. Mine measurement is rounded. I can get the exact dimension later. But everything else is the same. If I had the "black" intercooler as you do, I would struggle to get it to fit in the front of the Z. Mine is already nearly too tall.

EDIT: I counted the overall number of tubes. Yours has 20 tubes, mine has 23. Interesting.... That would suggest that the slightly smaller height is made up by more tubes. Possibly meaning it is more effective.. Hmm... Food for thought.../Edit

-Bob

(BTW, I paid 280 + $10 shipping) Here is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=2405408122

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi, Have any of you guys installed the intercooler?

Does it fit just right or are there major fabrication to it?

Do you have pics of it?

I'm really amazed on making this.

Thanks

nathan