HybridZ

I pulled the heads off my motor and boy am I MAD

I was told the motor had flat tops when I bought it but buyer beware I found dished pistons with 4 valve reliefs. yuck!!! I have a set of 64cc heads will this bring my compression to a livable level. I'll cc the pistons tomorrow and see what I get. Now this will really change my cam choice. I hope I'm not screwed as I dont have the money for new pistons right now. Keith

I've never seen a true 'Dish' piston that also had valve reliefs. I've seen Solid Dome, Hollow Dome, and Flat Top Pistons that had piston reliefs...but never a real Dish Piston w/Valve Reliefs.

I would contact the previous owner & have him confirm what pistons your actually have; get a part# and ph# of the piston mfg so you can confirm what cc's your pistons are.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

I have a buret here so I will set it up and cc them in the morning you can see a photo of them here http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/rx7260z/vwp?.dir=/V-8+RX-7&.src=ph&.dnm=DSC01930.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/rx7260z/lst%3f%26.dir=/V-8%2bRX-7%26.src=ph%26.view=t I bought the motor at a swap meet it looked pretty well taken care of and was priced right and was complete oh well Keith

Guest Anonymous

those piston are considered flat top for a sbc, normal for a sbc, i have yet to see a true flat top for a sbc, with no valve reliefs, a dish will have a half moon shape with no valve reliefs, each valve relife is usually 2cc,

Yeah I'm going to have to agree with Shank on this one, those are considered flat tops. Atleast from what I have seen that are called flat tops. I dont think you can have a dished piston and valve relief? What would be the point of the valve relief if the piston is dished?

Guy

Guest the_dj

They don't look like my factory flattops :?: Aside from the little relief, mine are perfectly flat. His seems to have 2 levels, with the inner level deeper.

Well here is the bad news. with the piston at TDC I get a cylinder volume of 25.5cc my head gasket volume of 9.1cc and the heads I'm planning on using measure 64.5cc if my math is right (please feel free to double check me) my compression ratio is 8.21:1 Is there any way to make decent power with this ratio? or do I have to pop for new pistons? I can find a cheap set of cast pistons with rings on E-Bay for about $100 (sealed power w/ cast rings. The wife is getting PISSED if I spend any more money on this car she is going to kill me!!! what started as a simple cam swap is turning into a total rebuild. Keith

Those pistons do look like dish pistons w/VR's. Surely they are the factory low comp.pistons.

Dont look at what you dont have instead look at what you do have. You said yourself you want an engine that runs on 87 Octane: yes/no?

The only problem is that you cant make serious HP & still run on 87 Octane w/out serious mods to your engine. Serious Mods=MONEY.

So, in order live in the restraints of 87 Octane that you have placed on your project...you modifications must be slight.

Any Cyl.Head or Piston swap you make to take advantage of a cam swap cant to be to terribly radical, otherwise you will find yourself needing 92 or 93 Octane.

What I would suggest is you upgrade to a mild cam swap and then concentrate on decreasing the restrictions to your intake & exhaust systems. This way you'll get a little more punch w/out serious bucks and still remain w/in your 87 Octane requirements.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Kevin I just faxed crane cams an info sheet looking for a cam rec. I think that I can use my low comp pistons I'm just looking at all the options. I pulled the motor this morning so I could measure the CR for a cam swap. I was upset that the motor was not what I was led to believe it was. I changed the intake and carbed it for a higher compression motor. I hope there is a way to leave the pistons in the car. Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I am late with this but, Yep, like Jim Powers said, I think they picked off a blower or an EFI/nitrous setup. Would you buy again like that or would you insist on pulling a head first? Better get the little woman a job to fill in the gaps. Put some wrenches in her hand. Make like you doing all this so she can drive it. Get her opinion on paint color and upholstery. Spray inside with you aftershave (or her fu-fu) and have her sit in it and strap in so you can measure something or whatever. Keep things neat and clean as possible (including your clothes and don't track dirt into the house. Bag your filthy clothes out in the garage and do the laundromat with em' (showing your consideration and concern for her valued houshold labors). This is a critical item because if she insists on doing them herself then you got a hook on the whole situation. . Clean those fingernails. Poke around and find her weak spot. Threaten to Enlist in the Marines cuz' you are so discouraged and if that dont' work, do the opposite and threaten to quit your job and start working out of the house at something brash.

I love to tease the women. Because we spend so much time on these conversions/rebuilds, many women get jealous of "That Car"! But, if you can really shake her up then she will come over to your side carwise. Why? Because she loves her man and it's a woman's God given nature to follow him! If necessary, even keep her away from her mother as much as you can. Get her to read a few simple articles about the car for you because you are not sure what they mean. In other words, slyly suck her into the picture eh?

You're welcome and NO CHARGE!

Spiirit you should meet my wife. She can drive your ass off. I wish I could cut a light as well as she can. She used to run my RX-7 at the local auto-X and embarresed many a male driver. She has just given me the go ahead to build the 383 I have sitting here. And as for her getting a side job to "fill in the gaps" she makes considerably more money than I do. Keith