HybridZ

Locked diff question

Guest Simon

Guest Simon

HeyAll

I did a search and couldnt find anything

what is a locked diff like, i have a 260z and have thought about welding up the diff, what would it be like.....handling tyre ware etc...

its my daily driver..... but i love to throw it around a corner and burn a little rubber.

cheers

Sim

I have thought about it too, but postings on this board have talked me out of it for a daily driver. Apparantly the "chirp chirp chirp" of slow speed turns gets real annoying after awhile. One guy complained about needing a floor jack to ease positioning the car on a trailer. On the plus side, it is the spider gears that are first to blow on an R180, so I would think welding the gears would make the R180 as tough as the R200 without the weight.

I am suprised the search came up blank for you. There are some good threads on this subject with lots of different opinions.

The biggest issue I found with a locked differential (Detroit Locker in my experience) was wet weather issues. Rather than having one tire spinning, I had both tires spinning on the back, and the rear came around on me much easier. Not to say this is bad for someone experienced in this or knows it will happen, but it took me by surprise (much younger then and much less experienced with a good LSD). Once I adapted to the LSD, I enjoyed it immensely.

I researched this also, due to needing to decide what to do with the car.

The rear end will not last as long as it should, and your car will push, and you will have a little difficulty keeping it controlled on the street most especially in wet weather.

All in all its a ghetto way of getting out of finding an LSD, and for the cost of paying someone to weld it up, it just doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather wait and find a clutch pack LSD, but then there are issues with that too, they dont last forever.

If you search around Corner-Carvers.com message board, you will find articles on LSD stuff, and welded diffs, and I also asked some local racers, every single one of them said the same thing, which all pointed at dont do it.

Quaife for me, one time investment.

I really tight setup LSD will not "slip" in wet weather, effectively mimicking the welded rear. The biggest trouble with the welded diff is the front wants to push until throttle oversteer brings it around. Perfect in a road racer, but in a street car you will no longer be able to steer right into a parking space. Looks like you can, then you turn in, and the car winds up behind the car in the next spot! They also pop and chirp the tires in tight turns, and put extra load on halfshafts that they don't need. Quite simply, IMO, DON"T DO IT.

Well I can talk first hand about a welded diff. I have one in my car and absolutely loathe it. I really do not recommend welding your diff if you drive your car more than one per week.

With the welded diff, making a turn into a parking spot say you were going to the grocery or the movies, one wheel fights the other as they are physically welded together as the outside wheel wants to travel more than the inside wheel. Hence the "chirp....chirp..", more like a "chung...chung....chung...."

This destroys tires too guys. If you strictly drag race or road race your car go for it, cheap and effective. But if you look at it from a practical stand point - I strongly do no recommend it.

I have had no problem in the wet, but once it does rain, I drive like a grandma, as the last thing I want to do is loose the car getting off a highway exit and have a new Armco hood ornament.

Regards - Yasin

Guest Simon

Gees that was quick... thanks for all the information.

I wish i could just try it for a week...

I am a uni student and parking is bad.. 31,000 students and about 2,000 parking bays and there small...

but its still in the back of my mind