HybridZ

Did u remove the two brackets for the stock tranny

YES TH-350

I have been wondering who has removed the tranny mounts in the tunnel and who has not and what tranny was used. I removed mine on my 72 first thing so I am not sure it was necessary... I am pretty sure it was for my TH-350 but what about other transmissions :?:

SO.. everyone first state yes or no and what tranny then elaborate under that.

I was thinking the other day it would be cool if I could put the old L-24 back in temporarily while rebuilding the chevy 350... at least I could still drive it if the 350 took a dump... and would be much simpler if the tranny mounts in the tunnel were still there... bob

Guest Your Car is Slow

Ill be test fitting a TH400 in mine here in the next month or so....although I dunno what help that will be to you...Im pretty sure the TH400 is significantly larger than the 350.

Georgia Flash 75V8 there are if and butts...read the jtr manual on page 7-10...it states

"The two brackets for the stock Datsun transmission crossmember need to be removed to install an automatic transmission or Corvette 4+3 manual transmission"

I thought they had to come out "period" too...until I was reading the "bible" again for the third or forth time and began to wonder if it is always necessary...

YES!!!

World Class T-5

ds

BTW it is a pain in the rear, do it before the weather warms up or you'll be sweating you arse off!!! Air hammer, cold chisle, vise grips, 2 hours or so and some COLD BEER. So far this was the toughest part of the conversion. Go figure.

Guest Your Car is Slow
Air hammer, cold chisle, vise grips, 2 hours or so and some COLD BEER. So far this was the toughest part of the conversion. Go figure

WTF holds it on? Sounds like an excuse to buy a plasma cutter if Ive ever heard one :)

Check this out.. its from IanZ's album. Notice the mounts in the tunnel are still there. this is a T-5

http://www.netsnapshot.com/pcw/buildalbum-cgi?ACCOUNT=4581&KEY=0

Click on the one named "MSA Transmission Mount " to enlarge the pic and you can see the original datsun tranny mounts in the tunnel with a T-5 installed... No cutting needed apparently with a T-5

I did NOT remove them for my T5.

The JTR manual states that there should be at least 1/2" on either side and this was true for me. There's plenty of room in there for the T5. I did beat the cr*p out of the tunnel to fit the new crossmember though :shock:

Guest 73TPIZ

700R4

i drilled out the spot welds and moved the whole unit back ~2in. i made new ears that hung down ~2in more than orig on each side and then sectioned my crossmember ~1in to align the holes back up. sounds like a lot of work but wasn't that bad and it looks factory from underneath. very little massaging w/ the BFH (big f'n hammer). my motor mounts are homemade so can't say how would work w/ kits.

I removed them - fat ass T-56. No pounding of tunnel - I simply pried it away from the reverse light pigtail with a crowbar gently, no banging, no grinding. I use an air chisel on the mounts, took maybe 45mins MAX.

I used the JTR rear mount - it was too wide. Did a little measuring and then had it sectionedrewelded. It was still a tight fit so I pressed it into the tunnel with a floor jack - the floor deformed SLIGHTLY.

All in all I didn't have to hack up my tunnel badly and simple removed the mounts with the chisel....

Guest Mr. Big Business

T-56, heck yeah! I used an impact chisel, and it took 5 minutes, tops. I would say less than that, actually. :-D

The JTR transmission mount is VERY wide, and I had to liberally apply the BFH to my floor, and actually ended up splitting the metal a bit. :? If I wasn't so impatient, and/or had the resources to do it myself, I would have sectioned and narrowed it a bit.

Henry

Yes 700R

I used a air chisel and a grinder. I used the JTR Bracket with the recommended tail housing. I cut holes the the floor to make room for the exhaust humps that the bracket has. This allows more room for the exhaust to bend around the the trans pan.