HybridZ

Ever seen what happens when you overboost.....

auxilary

Guest bang847

Where are the rings at?? :D

this is probably the first time i have seen a rotor so I actually have nothing to compare it to.

But definetly those gouges dont look normal at all..

Guest livewire23
They can't afford breakage during a race' date=' it sure does happen though, but you will hardly ever see it during a Sebring/Le Mans type race.[/quote']

Hehe, they don't break because they are non-existant in a rotary ;)

haha, mudge, you awake yet?

LoL, I'm glad you could laugh at my expense. I dont know much about rotaries, I do know a local guy racing one in a spec series, and they are damn tiny engines! I think you could stuff about 3 bodies in the front end and still not block the engines air flow ;)

I didn't even know they don't have valves, no bearings? Are they direct injection?

I still stand by my statement though, they can't afford breakage :D You wont see many Le Mans cars go down, although they do have thier string of problems sometimes but it almost always seems to be one car in a particular batch that has a bad season.

The 1.3 liter 2rotor wankel motor has 3 basic moving parts: 2 rotors that rotate around an eccentric shaft (crank shaft for comparison, if you will). There are no pistons, valves, connecting rods, camshafts or cams. The block consists of 5 slices, so to speak, called intermediate, rotor, and side housings. it looks like this:

side housing|rotor|intermediate|rotor|side housing|

Check out the detailed explanation here:

http://travel.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm

basically, it has a weight/less moving parts advantage over a piston motor. downside is initial lack of torque, and the motor cannot sustain as much abuse due to smaller margin of error. ie. you can overboost a piston motor and it'll survive. on a rotary, it can be a deadly result for the block