HybridZ

240SX TB conversion question

Tim240z

OK, I have my new 1inch adapter in hand now, so I am ready to bolt on the TB to my 83 ZXT. Are there any other adjustments that need to be made apart from just bolting up the TB? Will it make the engine run leaner (too lean!)?

I am going to run the car in OEM trim at the Irwindale 1/8 mile tomorrow (Thursday) night as a baseline. I will then add the TB, CAI, intercooler (GN), 3" downpipe, and increase boost to 8-10lbs for the next time out to see what happens.

Tim

Tim here are some pics for you, as I have been done this road. I have not seen any lean conditions surface after adding the 240SX. You will love the difference.

I first polished the 1" Spacer:

8194955.jpg

Then modified the J-pipe by cutting off the stock mouth and re-welding a new mouth to fit to the 60mm 240SX opening:

8195346.jpg

Here is my non-cruise control 240SX TB (polished of course!), with TPS pre-adjusted:

8194740.jpg

Linkage modified on the TB to receive the OE 280ZXT ball and socket linkage:

8194870.jpg

Ported Intake - using the 60mm gasket as a template:

8195350.jpg

Overall (kind of dark):

8194559.jpg

Hope that helps you out.

Regards - Yasin

Thanks guys. I'll do it this weekend.

BTW...My machinist can supply these adapters for the following $$$$:

Billet Aluminum: $45 plus shipping

Cast Aluminum: $20 plus shipping.

I got the cast one and will post a picture if you like.

Tim

Tim, Can you post a pic of either the billet or cast aluminum spacer? I'm kinda interested in purchasing one since I have a tb but no spacer yet. Figure I should start to get my parts ready for this summer's work. This might sound kinda dumb, but what's the difference between cast and billet aluminum? Thanks.

John

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

slownrusty,

I'm unclear about that part when you say re-weld the j pipe to fit the new 60mm TB.

You're cutting off the stock mouth and re-weld which part to the j pipe again?

Thanks. Please reply,

Nathan

Then modified the J-pipe by cutting off the stock mouth and re-welding a new mouth to fit to the 60mm 240SX opening:

8195346.jpg

I made a new mouth and welded that to the J-pipe, as the stock mouth will not fit over the larger 60mm opening. In the picture above, you can see the new mouth welded to the J-pipe - it has the semi-glossy black paint.

Hope that helps!

Regards - Yasin

Slap an intercooler in there and turn up the boost if you want to see a difference. I went from a NA ZX manifold to a turbo one and 60 mm TB and picked up 3 psi.

You really want fun, add a 3 inch mandrel exhaust picked up lots of boost there. I picked up 4 or 5 psi doing that. Be sure to use a good straight thru muffler.