HybridZ

MSD or Accel for my LT1???

Can you guys help me out here? I am going to get a new ignition system for my LT1 and I can't decide which one to get?

Can someone please tell how I can tell how I can tell what kind of connector I have on my wiring harness? I bough my harness from Darius but I can't get a hold of him to ask him! It does have 2 connects that go to the COIL! Does this mean I have the earlier model?

Accel-----(from summitracing)

The next generation of ignitions.

Chevrolet/Pontiac: 1993-95 5.7L LT1 Camaro/Firebird, digital ignition system

This is what happens when you combine the accuracy of computer technology and a highly efficient electronics design. You get the Accel 300+ digital ignition, which includes features that no other single ignition offers, such as:

* Multiple spark discharge

* 25 percent more spark current than the closest competitor

* Draws 1/3 the current of other ignitions

* "Intelligent" rev limiting lets you dial in top rpm without installing chips

* Smaller size for reduced weight

MSD 6AL--------(Thunder Racing)

MSD Ignition Systems produce hot multiple sparks that ensure complete combustion of air / fuel mixture, resulting in increased performance over stock.

Quicker throttle response

Smoothed out idle and starting

Reduced Spark plug fouling

Improved Fuel Economy

Helps Reduce Emissions

So which one sounds good?

Guy

A company called Electromotive makes a coil pack ignition that mates to the opticrap sensor. I think it can even be set up and controlled from the LT1 computer. For some reason I can't connect to external links but try this:

http://www.electromotive-inc.com

Multiple coil ignitions are the way to go (IMO). They give each coil more time to recover between firings. However, as someone pointed out in the past, it is the opticrap sensor that gives people all the problems.

Just another option.

BTW, On a near stock engine I would be suprised if either the accel or MSD ignition will offer any advantage over the the stock electronic ignition in good condition. Other opinions?

Guest Your Car is Slow

Accell/MSD/Jacobs...they all do roughly the same thing....and all have different "models" that have nifty little add on features for racing applications (timing retard, two step limiters, etc).

Ive heard good things and bad things about all of them....however ive always run an MSD on my LT1 cars....the only problem ive ever had was due to my own bonehead installation (one of the wires was pinched and eventually grounded out).

I wouldnt hesitate to get an accell over an MSD or vice versa if the price was right :)

Just get the model that does everything you need. (I believe the MSD Digital 6 plus had the timing retard and two step limiter built in)

Can someone please tell how I can tell how I can tell what kind of connector I have on my wiring harness? I bough my harness from Darius but I can't get a hold of him to ask him! It does have 2 connects that go to the COIL! Does this mean I have the earlier model?

Here is a schematic of the 1995 electrical system going to the optispark.

95_ign_system_schematic.jpg

In order to keep sequential fuel injection on the LT1 engine you must retain the Optispark distributor. The Optispark acts as both a crank wheel and cam sensor. You MUST have both of these sensors in place to run the injectors in a sequential mode. Everything else falls into a batch or bank FI mode, which I don't want. The Electromotive system (very expensive) uses it's own crank wheel but the LT1 engine has no provision for a cam sensor so you can't plug in Electromotive cam sensor cable - the fine print always gets ya! Again, you need both engine timings (crank and cam) for TRUE sequential fuel injection. The 5.7’s little brother engine – the 3.4 has the cam sensor (go figure) so one can use the Electromotive’s system without too much problem.

It is very difficult to eliminate the Optispark Distributor but it’s doable. I’ve been mulling this over for some time and here is one idea. I’ve know about the place that accurately drills out the stock LT1 intake to accept a distributor. This fellow takes stock LT1 intakes and adapts them for use on OLDER 350 engines. My idea would be to just reverse this thinking. (You loose your EGR valve so this could be an issue with emissions.) A person could take the Accel Gen 7 Duel Sync Distributor (has both the cam and crank timings built in: -D ) along with the Dual Sync Distributor adapter wire harness and attach this to a DFI Gen VII computer system. Drop this new duel sync distributor into that new distributor hole you had made and you just eliminated the OEM computer and the Optispark distributor entirely. Prices: To have the manifold drilled-out for the distributor is $100, the duel sync distributor and cable is $350 and the Gen VII computer system is ~ $1500. Grand total is around $2000. Not cheap, but now you can control your entire engine through the use of a laptop. Another way to look at this conversion is If you have to change out the Optispark just once the conversion just got $400 less expensive and then naturally ones time in the repair work.

Just a thought what do you think?

Dist_1.jpg

Dist%20Inst%20Adjust.jpg

Thans for the great info Dano. THat is a nice looking distributor, I had wondered why that solution had not been broached for older FI motors, and obviously it has! I have contemplated modifying somehting for the front of the motor as it is really nice that the LT1 drops into a Z so easily without modding the hood latch.

Mike C

You make a valid point about the distributor and the hood latch. But I would have to say 90% of the folks here have the distributor by the firewall and have to modify the latch so it's not a big deal. But you are correct.

Danno74Z

Guest Anonymous

Crane main thrust is cams. Crane makes ignitions to support their cams. Crane has the most to gain by producing a top notch ignition that makes their cams look real good. Go Crane!

Mudge,

Yes, you can edit the GM PCM program with Tunercat or the LT1 Edit programs, but the engine has to be off and then you "download" a new program to the Flash Memory - slow but very doable. You are still stuck with the GM ECM and more importantly your still dealing with the Optispark time bomb. When GM designed the LT1 computer back in the 90’s or for that matter even today’s PCM’s, flashing a new program to the computer is a gamble. They do have an Flash chip, but every time you flash that computer you run the risk (small) of frying it up. What I was trying to do here was come up with an alternative to both the GM ECM and the Optispark and have it be as cost effective as possible. Granted, $2000 bucks is expensive in anybody’s book, but again it is an alternative to the OEM “SYSTEM†if someone wanted to go to something else.

I have a quick question for you. Do you have a LT1 Z conversion?

Guest Your Car is Slow

There are a couple of alternatives for the opti...but its also insanely expensive. Some guy over on LS1.com I believe designed a coil pack setup (1 per plug) just like the LS1 variety thats used to replace the opti. It was also in the 1000 pricerange.

http://www.geocities.com/reilym/LTCC/LTLSDIS.jpg

another one is a different kind of opti....built better than the OEM ones...its called the Dynaspark...can read more about it here..its about 600 bucks.

http://www.dynotech-eng.com/dynaspark.htm

Personally...ive never had an opti related issue...now granted ive been using the unvented opti...and I installed a Mizere electric waterpump prior to my stocker failing and dumping coolant all over the opti (generally the cause of them to fail).....and while its annoying...it does work.

For those of you who wanna stick with the cheapest option...there is location to buy brand new Optis for about 180 bucks....certainly a better alternative than paying dealer cost...or buying a worthless rebuild kit.

I have flashed my LT1 well over 100 times, I almost screwed up twice, but PCM is still in tact. It can be repaired BTW via a couple methods, although of course I never wanted to be stuck.

Yep, to read or write takes 3 minutes, instead of real time editing which would be awesome, but I refused to pay for it and I didn't need it. I will splurge on one or two things to help make my life easier sometimes, and a different computer setup would have been nice, but too costly for no real gains other than faster lazier tuning.

As for the 95 Optispark setup, I think its damn near bulletproof, I refuse to pay $700 or so for these aftermarket Opti-fixes. At least a few though have taken the Opti guts and put them in traditional distributors on the back of the intake, but I dont want that either.

Look at how many race cars have run thier distritubors on the end of the cam, the issue with the early opti is mostly being under the water pump and having really crappy sealing and litterally none on the end of the cam. 95 fixed it near bulletproof IMO, I also pulled mine open a bit to put silicone around the seal for further insurance.

For those of you who wanna stick with the cheapest option...there is location to buy brand new Optis for about 180 bucks....certainly a better alternative than paying dealer cost...or buying a worthless rebuild kit.

Several, last I checked Jason Cromer is $187, however that is for a 95+ opti not the older version which is often $300, not worth it - upgrade! I have heard of people paying $900 for dealerships to swap them though, unbelievable.

Here's a pic of what I have for my harness and the curren coil that was on the 93 Set up. I did update the 95+ Optispark. I am going to go with the Accel I think. I just want a rev limiter.

coilstuff.jpg

So what do I have here?

Guy

Guest Your Car is Slow

The 96+ style only has one connector that I can remember.

Installing my MSD on my Impala SS required a single inline adapter that came with the MSD itself.