HybridZ

How hard is it to.....

80LS1T

I have a SBC LT1 that is going in my car next weekend and I am wondering...

How hard would it be to make my own exhaust up to the rear axle? I am going to run 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" dual exhaust until the axle(unless I can get the dual exhaust over the axle, which i doubt it). I want to atleast get this much done by myself so that it doesn't cost and arm and a leg to have my exhaust made.

I might try going over the axle by myself but I think that part might be out of my league!

Also how much did it cost you guys to have an exhaust built for your car? I want my pipes to be rust proof too so no regular steel! Are you guys using stainless steel or is there something else?

I know there are a lot of questions here but gimmie some ideas!

Guy

It's pretty 'easy' to make your own system. It's easy, but VERY VERY time consuming. I got lucky and bought a system (from the header back) for $80 bucks or so (2.5 inch to 3 inch) with DynoMax Muffler. I built my own Tri-Y full length headers. PITA!!!

For corrosion resistance, you could have your system High temp coated, expensive, but WAYYYYY cheaper than stainless.

Tim

Do you mean jet hot coated?

So I am thinking maybe I will run dual/2.5" exhaust to the axle then go to sinlge/3" over the axle and into a muffler. What would be the best muffler for my LT1? I should be putting out around 400HP at the crank. I want something that quites it down but still has a slight rumble! :D

Guy

I paid about $400 to have my dual exhaust made. 2 1/2" mandrel bent head pipes off the block huggers. Then 2 1/4" the rest of the way back. H pipe, flanges to remove it in sections, dual Flowmasters, all aluminized pipe, crome tips. I think I got a bargain though.

Here's a pic. Sorry Alex's (Auxilary) head is in the way. That's a problem whenever he and a camera are in the same room. :D

20dcp_2717.jpg

Guest greimann

If I remember, I paid about $300 for a system where the shop provided the muffler and pipes, and I provided the cat convertors. It was made using aluminized pipe and it has held up very well after 9 years.

A dynomax Super Turbo is a great muffler for this application.

Here is another thread on this same subject:

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17143&highlight=

Hey Dan Juday...

I noticed that you ran your exhaust under the differental, are you having any ground clearance problems like that? I will not be running my

muffler(s) in the middle of the rear though, mine i will be over in the stock location.

Guy

"I see" said the blind man! Well that sucks! I thought I was going to get away with running it under the differental! But I am guess that my ground clearance will be greatly reduced then. Oh well :roll:

Ok heres the plan then...

2.5" all the way back with a X-Pipe behind the tranny mount, then into a Y-Pipe and into a 3" pipe over the axle and into a Muffler and out the back.

Now I could really use some suggestions on mufflers! I want a nice sound but not so loud that it makes it obvious that I have a SBC under the hood! :D So far Greimann is the only one to suggest anything!

What do you guys think of the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler?

Guest Anonymous

Altho I have searched dillingently online for all "Muffler sound" audio files and listned to them, I still have yet to find what I call a real cool one that has a big soft sound when accellerating and no cackle when decellerating. The two just don't seem to be under control in the muffler domain these days. Maby it's because there is so much power in there, or the recordings are poor, or current supposed preferences to certain sounds are being foisted upon us all.

I am pretty sure of one thing.....the longer the muffler the softer (mellow) the sound.

Guest greimann

I think it is important to understand that the entire exhaust system plays a large part in how the system sounds. The muffler is a big part of it, but the number of pipes, diameter, length, even tip shape have a lot to do with the timber of the note. I noticed a significant change when I went from a single tip to a dual tip.

A Dynomax Super Turbo is a very popular muffler for those of us who appreciate a mellow but powerful sound.

Flowmasters have a unique resonance that instantly identifies it as "that Flowmaster sound". It is almost a cult following for the Flowmaster people.

Straight through designs that don't have much muffling power sound great, for about 3 days, then it really starts getting on your nerves and you will be back at the muffler shop asking for a Super Turbo.

Guest Anonymous

When I first began searching for muffler sounds I fell upon dynomax superflow and I like it but the sound also has a horrendus and consistant hissing noise that I woukd not tolerate at all! I queried them about that but received no answer, Perhaps it was the recording?

Then I liked Flowmaster or so I thought but it also left a little to be desired and sO I pressed on.

Later I landed on Gibson and liked that one best (I thought).....LOL, but it too fell short because by this time I realized the value of a true recording and it had become quite obvious that each brand were placing their mikes arbitrarily and unrealistically close to the exaust opening itself. I think the industry needs to get in there and support some eager beaver who will take the time to get all these manufacturers together and establish a sound recording "Standard" for promoting their product.

Right offhand I would first suggest the frequency response of the equipment be controlled. Next, the mike be kept at ear level while a combination of a walk, from front to rear of the vehicle is made on the drivers side, a distamce of 6' (this gives the driver an idea od what to expect in his ear. Secondly, the car would make a 45mph pass on an ear level mike in a manner that would represent it's passing a pedestrian on the sidewalk (Between 15-30 ft.). Then a prospective buyer could actually get somewhere near a realistic comparitive selection, at least.

As mentioned, the sounds from an auto are quite unique in their formation considering the sound source and the pipe's involved. The whole thing is akin to a long horned musical instrument and it's associated fundamental resonating frequency (not to mention associated wavelengths of 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4. (Boy! This could get real technical).

All the custom mufflers available seem to fall short by emitting one aggrivating sound or another right along with their desireable traits. 2000 rpm droning inside the car being a biggie in many posts I have read. It must be the lack of research interest combined with funds that keep us from all being able to find the sound we want because, no doubt, there is money to be made once this ability is achieved!

Ya, I'm an old Hi-Fi buff, built cabinets, bass reflex, infinite baffe, exponential (1/4 wave size), hemholtz resonator and all that, so I know what the deal is and yet the total car sound is of a different class.

I think I am going to lean on this subject in a new post and see what comes out of the woodwork...Ha Ha! Not the formulas etc., but the general principles of the whole situation, so those who care can follow along.

Greimann makes an excellent point. A muffler is only a part of the whole system. My muffler man, who BTW is hosting the NorCal show this Saturday (sorry, cheap plug), says the way you bend the pipe after the muffler has a strong effect on the tone.

I had $600 in my exhaust including mufflers and stainless tips. It was all welded up with an H-pipe and bolted flanges so it could be removed. Guy spent lots of time on it. 2.5 inches all the way back. I'm gonna grab some rewarder headers and hope I can bolt the same system back up!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok I am was thinking about my exhaust system...

Now since I am going to run 2.5" all the way to the rear axle then into 3" into a muffler, will I need teh X-Pipe in there if I am going to use a Y-Pipe? Or should I just go 2.5" into X-Pipe into a Y-pipe into 3" pipe then over the axle and into a muffler? I just want to know if the Y-Pipe will equalize my back pressure or not?

Thanks,

Guy

Guest greimann

The y-pipe serves the same purpose as an x-pipe in your situation. You would use an x-pipe if you were maintaing a true dual exhaust all the way back, otherwise it is unnecessary in a 2 into one system.