HybridZ

just how good are the volvo FMICs?

260ZRED

Ok, so today I went to the local pick-apart to look for some interior parts and I see this volvo with a giant "intercooled" badge on it so bascily I decided to grab the IC before someone else might....

anyway, just how good are these ICs? I got it for 50, did I get ripped off? I filled it with water and the sucker doesn't have a single tiny leak!! :D

Are there any known problems with this FMIC? How good is it compared to some other FMICs, (and I'm not talking about the $300-500 super-duper ones)

thanks for any tips.

I'm planning to get one too, mostly due to price, and man they are big! Even if they cost a little efficiency vs another, you could always save up for a better one in the future, and it is a pretty hefty savings over a $200-$400 setup, in the meanwhile.

looking nice! what airdam is that in the front? What paint did you use on it? Did you primer it? I'm aksing because my front lip's paint is going to hell from it bending at twisting so much. :roll:

the volvo ICs seem to go right about 50-60 ish on ebay, well at least i shouldnt be in the negative! :D

The Volvo IC is ok in my opinion. I was headed this route at one time because of $$$ issues...I waited for a while and put together enough money to do it right. My train of though was that I didn't want to go through all the trouble of "re-piping" when I do have the money to get a better one....and believe me, intercooling aint easy. Just wanted to do it once and be done with it...I'm lazy like that lol. The only problem I see you having (Scotty had this problem) is blowing the end tanks at high boost levels. He remedied the problem by using what looked like a larger version of turbo hose couplers. As far as I know, he hasn't had any more problems with it. But as a general rule of thumb, try to stay away from IC's made for 4 bangers. Anyway, I just finished installing my Isuzu NPR IC. It was not easy but mang that thing is schaweet. I have no pinging at 15psi and dipped it to 17psi while testing...it was crazy! Glad I waited a little. :D

yep i had one and you know what i'd gladly take a volvo ic over a starion($200) anyday.The only time my ic blew the end caps off was when i ran my t3/t4e hybrid turbo thru it and it then blew the end caps off.I epoxyed the end caps on then and it held til i actually seperated the metal part os the end cap from the tubes.But i have to say that i ran 18psi of boost from the stock turbo thru it no problem for a long time.I ran the starion one after i broke my volvo one and it sucked i could only run 10 psi tops thru it compared to my volvo at 15-18psi with the hybrid.So all in all for the stock turbo i say it's the only one i'd choose but for the hybrid nope it just won't handle it.But in my opinion to anyone that has one definately epoxy or jb weld the end tanks on so it won't leak for good measure.It was the best 40 bucks i spent,I managed a high 12 sec pass at 105mph. :D

Guest Aaron

What volvo are those intercoolers in. A buddy and I are building a car for the GRM $2004 challenge. We are putting an '84 vg30et in a Pinto, and it will be my buddy's driver once the challenge is over. We want to run about 10psi and add an intercooler. That one looks perfect for our use.

I still look at it as probably a nice interim cooler for the money, even if it costs some PSI it still allows more than no intercooler, and its cheap.

I know it's been said before, but the cost of the cooler is usually a fraction of the cost of the total install.

Routing pipes where there were none before, and the cost of the piping, cutting and welding, not to mention the time involved, is a good enough reason to get the best IC you can afford, and stay with it.

It always sucks having to do the piping again, I know, because I am current re-doing my intake; this time it's right. I'm glad I don't have to redo my IC piping too. :roll:

This is true, the silicon stuff is $. So if you put it all on paper it may just be false economy, but I also think it depends how much power someone would be looking for down the line. If you think your going to blow the end tanks, then maybe you should just do it right the first time.