HybridZ

Diping your car??

spunkula

I remember reading an article talking about dipping a car body in acid to remove all tar/rust/paint, etc from the frame. I don't remember the article very well but the problems with doing this are its expensive but the results were fantastic? Could some people shed some light on this and what I really want to know is if any of you have done this to your Z.

Cheers, Aaron

I think that the major drawback is then protecting the areas that are inaccessible from rusting again. The only way to be really sure would be to then dip the entire unibody in primer or some type of metal prep so that the areas that can't be painted will be protected again. Otherwise, apart fromt eh expense, it would be a great time saver!!

Tim

Another drawback to dipping is getting all traces of acid of of the car and out of the little cracks and crevices. If any residue is left it will cause the new paint to blister and peal, and it`s seldom a good thing when something blisters and peals. :shock:

The 280 I am working on is a prime example of what not to do. It was dipped and not all of the solution was removed and yep it's peeling in places you cant't get to. It really sucks. I was going to get it dipped again and done right but it's just too expensive!

Guest raystorm280z

any rough estimates on how much dipping/coating runs? i would expect that the dipping/coating procedure would be a good solution to the peeling, i think i remember the show "car and chrome" doing it to one of their project cars, it looked pretty clean

i am cleaning alot of my suspension and drivetrain parts with Hydrochloric Acid (and alot of knowledge, attention and equiptment) before getting them powdercoated and such. the biggest problem is how to rinse off all the acid and protect them before the rust starts, which is almost immediately. if i were going to dip my car i would most certanly request to see the process and make sure that they could coat all the hard to reach places. if i could be certain of the process i would definately get it done.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cowboy6280

If anyone is interested there is a facility in Atlanta called UnPaint. Not sure what type of chemical they use but I have had parts done. Not any body panels or a whole car but bracket type parts and they come out very clean. From what they told me after they are dipped to be cleaned the parts are then dipped in a nuetralizing solution. I am new to the 280z thing and just purchased a '77 280z project and was thinking of having it dipped.