HybridZ

ebay 240z

Guest chip

What's do you guys think about this car? I know the price is steep but i'm looking for rust free. The shop says it has no rust but all the pictures he has are on ebay. Any thoughts?

Chip

What I don't get is why for such a low milage car that he had to repaint, and recover the seats?

Although it is a low milage car, it is still 30 years old. I personally can't see paying that much, but that's just me. If it is as perfect as they claim, might be worth it.

Good point Mike.

If it is as good as they claim I would buy it but i'm leary of buying from pic's and small ones at that. The guy was freindly on the phone but didnt seem like he wanted to go out of his way to take clearer pics and email them to me. The search goes on.

I don't know that the car isn't easily worth $5-$6K. For an all original, early 240 with the good carbs...even has the original ugly a$$ hubcaps.

A 30 year old car needing paint is not out of the question. Paint fades with time and exposure to the sun more than miles driven. What worries me is the quality of the paint job. If you look closely they might have painted over the door latch in the inner door jamb and the front strut bolts. Hard to tell from the small pics, but I would want to inspect the quality of the paint prep before buying. Not to mention the condition of the weatherstrip, dash, suspension etc. etc.

But even if the paint is less than perfect, paying 5 or 6 grand for a 72 Z with all the original equipment is not a bad price. However I wouldn't consider this a good candidate for a V8 swap. I would buy down and get a car with minor rust for half that or less.

My rules of buying cars ( sorry to say which I dont always observe and have always regretted)

Rule 1:never buy a car that you have not seen in person or driven

Rule 2: obey rule # 1

Rule 3: most of us do pretty much total rebuilds anyway so buy a good body without rust ( California or Texas ) cheap

Rule 4: Obey rule #2

Good luck

Ferd

I'm no personal fan of the stock, unmolested Z, but thta car is worth what he wants IF it is exactly as claimed. I've seen them go for much more. If I wanted an all stock Z, I would be getting on a plane to go see that one in person.

Damn, did I just say that?

Mike :wink:

If you can't see the car in person don't buy it. Period the end. Keep looking locally they are out there it just takes patience..ha that easy for me to say.

Mike