HybridZ

calling all audiophiles

David K

Took all the good stereo parts from my old black Z and started fresh today. Ive been driving without a stereo for a month and a half now. I went down to Wal Mart and picked up a Scosche (sp) 1100w installation kit, 50ft of 16g speaker wire, a nice set of $20 tweeters with swivel mounts, and a pair of 6x9 offbrand 200w Roadmaster speakers, the best $20 i have ever spent, they are better than top of the line speakers!.

I made an amp box for both my amps. Im running a Pioneer 4 channel 700w amp for my highs and mids with the low cut off. Im running an Interfire 1000w amp for my sub. My sub is a 10" JL.

the 280zx has a pad in the rear hatch area under the carpet. I cut out a rectangle in the pad and mounted my amp box in it. It sits almost level with the pad and when the carpet is dropped back down you cant even tell the box is under there. So i ran the 4 gauge cable to the dist block and then branched off the power to both the amps.

I mounted my subwoofer in the spare tire wheel well cover pointing inwards towards the cabin.

The tweeters are mounted on the plastic pillar covers.

My entire system is low key, but it is LOUD, CLEAR, and very inexpensive. EVERY wire is soldered/clipped on and solid from the speaker all the way back to the amps. None of that cut, twist, or tape shit.

Pics tommorow. You all will like what i have done to the 280zx, the "impossible" audiophile car.

Now, i want to run a 2 channel head unit and split it in to 4 channels. Is this possible by way of aftermarket additions, like a splitter box or something? I want to be able to still tune the stereo front/rear, left/right. As of now, im running a 2 channel head unit branched off in to 4 channels by rca splits. When i tune to the front speakers, i cant hear anything, and then when i tune to the rear, all 4, rear and front, speakers play. Left is right and right is left. Do you know what i am saying? Let me know.

Hmmmm, sounds like your RCA cables are a mess down there, or your speaker wires are misrouted. Anytime I get really mixed up, (rarely happens when it come to the audio on a car :D ) I'll pull all the wires and start over paying close attention to where the wires will be going. The best way that I've seen to split your signal to more channels is to run a seperate equalizer. I had a Kenwood equalizer some years ago that took a 2 channel input and had 3 outputs. I'm sure the newr ones are better and you could possibley find one that splits into 4 channels.

Why do you need 4 channels? With 3 you'll still get all the seperation that you need (front/rear/sub). There's really no reason to run 4.

Why do you need 4 channels? With 3 you'll still get all the seperation that you need (front/rear/sub). There's really no reason to run 4.

I have this test cd that has a jet flying back and forth, front to back. With 2 channel, it just flys around on all speakers and i dont get that surround effect. My buddies 4 channel system in his tiburon has that surround sound effect, and he is hooked up very similar to me. I didnt hook the rca's up wrong though. i just took 2 channel and split into 4. Still sounds good, but i want more out of it.

if you want the true suround your gonna need either a new source unit of a very expensive signal processor, I recogmend looking at JVC units for the price you can't beet them, also you will be getting more and cleaner signal to your amps, havn't been into big booming systems for a coupla years, I found out they do not make my car any faster :)

Well i agree that i should get another head unit. i was into fast z's and all that but since i got this one, ive been focusing on the interior and making it look good because the driveline is stock perfect. It is so quiet and smooth, and i havent driven a nice quiet ride for soooo long. Im enjoying it now. I have more z's, so all is not lost. This one is for sure a looker though. Im just looking into changing the engine with a stock turbo l28.

Here are some pics.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

daveswheels.jpg

daveswheels2.jpg

daveswheels3.jpg

Guest greimann

Hey Dave-o,

Now that you have all that high powered audio gear, what kind of music are you going to entertain your fellow motorists with? Might I suggest some Frank Sinatra, Maynard Ferguson, Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66, or George Clinton and Parliment Funkadelic?

P.S. Nice wheels!

Hey Dave-o' date='

Now that you have all that high powered audio gear, what kind of music are you going to entertain your fellow motorists with? Might I suggest some Frank Sinatra, Maynard Ferguson, Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66, or George Clinton and Parliment Funkadelic?

P.S. Nice wheels![/quote']

Yes, my music taste is somewhere along those lines including Santana, stuff you would find on KROQ, country (girlfriend i swear), ok ill stop before i dig myself a hole.

Blues, rock, etc.

Wheels are nice, they are kinda satiny :D

If you guys like some good rock, you may want to check out Dredg or Dredge. Cool, cool band. Anyways, the line driver is about the only way to deal with the surround effect. Other than that, DSPs come to mind or a new head unit with provisions for what you are looking to do.

My system in my Honda cranks pretty good. Well, it did until I blew one of the channels on my Hifonics amp for the front speakers. It has Hifonics components (ebay special) to Hifonics 2 way amp (which I blew out) and two CDT Audio 10" subs in sealed boxes to a mono 300W RMS amp. I just overnighted a US Acoustics 2 way for my trip to MSA. Can't take the Cobra (Z won't make it, so don't ask), so it leaves the Honda that has no power. Only way to make up for power is good stereo. It sounds really good though.

Well, if you need more wiring, I suggest going to

http://www.knukonceptz.com. Better than Monster Cable and cheaper than Radio Shack.

Guest Anonymous

hey, cool setup you got there. its good to see some Z people doin stereo stuff as well. my buddy has an interfire amp, very nice. anyway, it seems like a lot of heat can get trapped down there.. i would suggest mounting them in a way where heat can't build up so much. down here in texas, that extra heat can shut down my friends amp real quick. then again, he is pushing 2 10"Rockford HX2's.

in my 280z plan on building custom kickpanels to house my Focal 136k components. I have an a/d/s p440 amp for it. in my daily driver, i got dynaudio system 240 gt components with two Xtant 2200ix's. the other is for a 12" JL12W3.

BAlford, that system is amazing!!!!!!!

hey' date=' cool setup you got there. its good to see some Z people doin stereo stuff as well. my buddy has an interfire amp, very nice. anyway, it seems like a lot of heat can get trapped down there.. i would suggest mounting them in a way where heat can't build up so much. down here in texas, that extra heat can shut down my friends amp real quick. then again, he is pushing 2 10"Rockford HX2's.

in my 280z plan on building custom kickpanels to house my Focal 136k components. I have an a/d/s p440 amp for it. in my daily driver, i got dynaudio system 240 gt components with two Xtant 2200ix's. the other is for a 12" JL12W3.[/quote']

Im debating on going with top mount puller fans on the top of the box once i get the lid on. Ill provide vents on the side of the box, and the fans will bring in cool air from the hatch area straight down on the amps, and then out the side of the box.