HybridZ

280ZX subframe connectors?

Has anybody made subframe connectors for their 280ZX yet? If so how did you make them and with what kind of material?

I am finishing up my engine install and I am concerned that my 400HP(at the crank) will be too much for my 280ZX frame. I also have T-Tops so that makes it even worse. I have installed a rollbar (SCCA type) and I am going to make the triangular strutbraces for the front struts. Since I really dont want to install a complete rollcage I figure subframe connectors are the next best thing!

Also do you have any pictures?

Thanks,

Guy :D

Ok has anybody built subframe connectors for their 240,260,280Z?

I think I know how I am going to make them but I would like some ideas on how/where to connect them to the frame. Gimmie some ideas guys! :D

Guy

Guy,

I did them on my 240. Can't believe that it would be all that much different on the ZX. I'll crawl under the ZX and see.

On my 240, I needed to replace the floors too, so I welded the floors in, and then 1 x 3 x 0.86 rectangular tubing, fron to back. I also had the car on a rotisserie, which made it MUCH easier!!!

Tim

I just looked under mine 10 minutes ago. From what I can tell I think I could mount them right along the pinch weld. The only thing is I don't know where the best place to tie them into the framerails??? Here's what I am thinking...

subframe_connectors

You can't really see from the picture but for the rear I was thinking of some way connnecting it to the rear suspension mount some how. And for the front running more tubing straight over to the frame rail and bolting/welding it up there.

So what do you guys think?

I don't have a cage. That is what I am trying to avoid. I might go that route later though if I upgrade to a bigger cam/better heads/or even a supercharger!

For now I would like to keep the cage out if possible. I was looking at the 6 point bolt in cage that MSA sells for like $550.

I just want something to help keep the doors straight and still able to close! LOL :shock:

Guy

For now I would like to keep the cage out if possible.

Hey Tim what do you think? Where should I connect the subframe connectors to the frame? Also I was thinking of bolting the long part that runs along the pinch weld because I am affraid I will just burn through the sheet metal of the floor! how much of a difference will there be between bolting it up and welding it up?

Thanks,

Guy

• 5 weeks later...
I'll crawl under the ZX and see

Whatever happen Tim? Did you look under you ZX yet? LOL I need some input from you guys on where I should connect the subframes to the car? I'm just not sure and I really dont want to just throw some tubing under it and have it not really serve a purpose other than weighing my car down! LOL :lol:

So where should I connect the sub frame connectors?

Guy

Sounds good! I really appreciate the help. I just dont know where to connect these things. I figure since you made yours you would have a good idea on where I should connect mine.

Thanks a lot!

Guy :D

80 LT1 My thoughts go like this.

As I am going to convertable an 81 2+2.

Gut the interior cut open the chassis rails from the top and drop in two 40mm tubes welded together to create 40x80 rails noting that they need to remain parallell and not narrow behind the trans as the originals do. Stagger the angles on the ends to pick up the box section under the front of the back seat.

On the front bring them through to the pick up the front crossmember mounting holes.

Also make 2mm plate with returns front and back and along the bottom and weld these to the inside of the sills both left and right.

You might also look at bars or boxing the area under the front of the front seat depending on what you did for a rear trans mount.

For the convertable i was going to put a cross from where the new rails meet the rear box section up to the rear towers.

I am using Ford 1990 Capri ( Mercury US) inner body support and intend modifying and using softop from the same which with 2+2 body will fit in front of and below rear towers.

I am modifying Australian GTO body kit to cover it.

Sorry no pics yet.

Hope this gives you some ideas. You may get away with just strengthening the sills and boxing under front seat.

Hope the description isn't too brief. Neil

Sorry I haven't asnwered back in a while, but I was never notified that I received a response.

zxgts-4 I have no idea what you just said. :shock:

I have looked at petes site and I understand the concept of sub frame connectors, its just that I would like some more opinions on where to connect them to my car. The only pics I ever see are for 240Z's - 280Z's and as we all know they are not the same. Especially the rear suspension on the 280ZX's. I just what to know where on the 280ZX, should I tie the front to the rear? I'm just affraid of putting some big tubes under there that dont serve a purpose. That's why I want someone to say here's where you should connect it :lol:

Guy

Guys, I haven't done it yet but my plans sound a lot like ZXGTS-4. I don't want a cage in my street 240Z. I'm going to cut out the original framerails and slot the floorpans to run square tubing from the front TC area to the rear subframe with the tubing protruding thru the floor as needed to go straight to the underside of the rear subframe. Then weld the floorpans to the side of the rails. That should save my ground clearance and not stick up much between my feet, but will stick up slightly higher under the seat. I am going to tie these new square rails together laterally with a modified transmission mount simular to JTR. I'm installing a 5.0 Ford engine and have ansil's motor crossmember to tie the front frame rails together. And finally front and rear strut tower braces. Comments or suggestions appreciated....

Will Piatt