HybridZ

cylinder head molding prossess

Guest Anonymous

The what sorry? I don't understand.

I'll have a look at pulling the cam gears and cover off tomorrow, I can't be bothered doing it tonight.

As for the oil galleries etc its pretty easy to tell, the rusty coloured ones are water and the others are either oil or head bolt holes :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another vaible alternative to a 24 valve head would be to get an old LY series crossflow head. I beleive the head alone was worth something like 18%hp gain. compy that, uses all stock valve train and timing components. even tho it is still only SOHC, youd still have people lined up around the block to buy the damn thing.

OR.......

If you are good at CAD, use the RB series head as a starting point nd just design the thing with the coolant passages and oil passages to meet the ones on the L block. and since the RB and L bore spacing is the exact same, you can use RB series cams and valve train parts, which opens up the whole damn JDM aftermarket to us. oh yeah, to have a prototype made, I beleive the process is called Laser Lithography? they have a vat of plastic that turns solid if you burn it with a laser and the laser is computer controlled, it runs off of a 3D cad program, it builds the prototype one 1mm layer at a time.

I would but I am too lazy and I lack resources.

McAdam

Hey Mack I looked into that and even if I make them a design they'll still change it around a little for casting and then it still cost about 15000 for the first. So I figure that i can relocate some passages on an RB20 for less and make the head work and will be easily justified.

tbs

Guest benjlv

has anyone consdiered those japanese 2 liter DOHC L6 motors that they made for 240z cop cars and i guess some other cars?

I have a pic of it in a book, but dont have the book on me now, but it exists...i just dont know what block, head...etc. nissan used for the cars

First I asked around to some Engeerres and I was told that the diffaculty of welding two KA24E's together would not be avised and they had the same worry that I orignialy had that they would crack. It could be done but it would be to difficult and risky to do. Also the RB20 was the better one to use on this application because of pricing the RB26 I was quoted a price of 2400USD shipped while a RB20 cost about250AUD+shipping, thats partly where I'm trying to split some cost down. But even to make a chain work with that head looks to be a trip on it's own Because of where the last cam holder is. So for now I'm going to have to find out more infomation on this and maybe I can machine out two halfs and have a good shop weld them togther at less curitcial point like the sides and top. I really did want to use the RB20 if anyone has any suggestions on how to make a chain or a belt work in our motors and set up an oil pump it would be a big help.

tbs

I'm talking about just dropping in an RB26 engine. You can get them for ~$5000 or so in the US. Timewise and costwise, I just don't see any justification for trying to make a DOHC 4-valve head for the L engine. Also, it seems to me that valve area might be a limiting factor for an RB20 cylinder head on a 2.8+ liter L engine. And you wouldn't be able to go very much bigger, certainly not enough to take full advantage of the L motors larger bores.

I guess I still just don't get it.

• 2 weeks later...

cost doesn't bother me, an exsample of this would be jeffp for what he has into that car and motor he could have had a supra or something that is faster then his car, is not about cost it's a love for the zcar. Plus I would like to be able to market them to everyone.

tbs

I doubt that a heavier car with less hp would be faster than Jeffp's car:) If you would like to be able to market them, then cost is the #1 issue. If you attempt this I certainly wish you success, but there are dozens of more cost-effective ways to bestow your love upon the Z car that would be more effective at making power, and would be less likely drive you to insanity over the course of the next 2-5 years!

Guest zline

Why dont you call Russ Arao from Arao engineering in Chatsworth CA? he makes 32V V8 heads and invented teh 16V Hemi head for the VW...I'd consider him THE go to guy when it comes to custom cylinder heads for cars.

He'd answer any question you'd have, and he'd tell you where you can get your custom head cast.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

An Italian philosipher once said "The end justifies the means." That's what this project is about, me thinks...

Everyone seems to want to critisize this idea or offer advise on alternative motor swaps or mods instead of contributing thier knowledge to the project! Every single one of you guys are on an endless quest for parts and/or mods to boost the performance of your car, more to the point, your motor--since this IS the L6 performance board... But when someone comes forward and pitches an idea--that doesn't sound farfetched at all--for for a mod that's sure to boost the perfomance of your motor, he gets shunned.

The fact is, if performance shops sold twin cam, 24 valve heads for the L28, half of you guys would have it on your car, probably reguardless of price. Right now there's a guy trying to make that a reallity; let's show a little support, eah...

Sorry if I come off a little harsh; I'm not trying to step on anybody...

It's just that sometimes these discutions start turning into arguments when we're supposed to be trading tech tips and advice...

So let's get back into the groove here, comrads :wink:

Ok Dan I don't think I was clear about my supra story A done up supra would eat his car up.

When have you been shotgun in his car? He took me around for about an hour at a bbq. I dont think so dude. Good luck on the research.

First of all, the end justifies the means for tyrants. Not calling anyone HERE a tyrant, just pointing out that that philosophical viewpoint deserves a bit of analysis. i.e., how do people end up behaving when their perhaps well-intended ends justify any and all of their actions?

From reading the posts through, the "end" intended is simply to have a DOHC head on an L-series motor. All I want to know is "why"? The object seems to be to have an aftermarket head or highly modified head from another car to sell to the L6 Z community as a performance upgrade. This IS a farfetched idea. Sure, I'd love to see it done, but i haven't seen anything in this thread that leads me to believe that it's gonna happen any time soon. Automakers have TONS of experience designing and building cylinder heads. And they have VAST economies of scale on their side. Not to mention armies of engineers and designers. We (If I may use the editorial "we" here) don't. I keep hearing things like "cost is no object" practically in the same breath as "RB26 cylinder heads are too expensive". Making a bolt-on DOHC cylinder head for an extremely limited market is going to be a fricking expensive and time-consuming proposition. Those of us who want to go fast have WAY too many better options.

The idea is a helluva lot easier than the execution. This is art. This is science. This is engineering. This is certainly a worthwhile endeavor in terms of an educational experience. This is NOT the path to a practical and reasonably priced performance upgrade to the L-series engine, I don't think.

Believe it or not, I AM trying to help. Really.

An Italian philosipher once said "The end justifies the means." That's what this project is about' date=' me thinks...

Everyone seems to want to critisize this idea or offer advise on alternative motor swaps or mods instead of contributing thier knowledge to the project!

<snip>

But when someone comes forward and pitches an idea--that doesn't sound farfetched at all--for for a mod that's sure to boost the perfomance of your motor, he gets shunned.

The fact is, if performance shops sold twin cam, 24 valve heads for the L28, half of you guys would have it on your car, probably reguardless of price. Right now there's a guy trying to make that a reallity; let's show a little support, eah...

Sorry if I come off a little harsh; I'm not trying to step on anybody...

It's just that sometimes these discutions start turning into arguments when we're supposed to be trading tech tips and advice...

So let's get back into the groove here, comrads :wink[/quote']