HybridZ

G-FORCE T-5

Z-Dreamer

Those are some awesome looking transmissions! All sorts of applications including reverse cut gears for Hondas? Cool. But the prices make a Richmond 6 speed look cheap... I couldn't find the T5 pricing, but it is an amazing looking trans. Actually, it appears that most of their trans are modified Richmond 5 speeds and the 4 speed a modded Super T10.

Yeah I couldn't find a price for their T-5 kit or complete trans either. I guess someone needs to call. But if the kit is reasonable, picking up a used or trashed T-5 is easy and cheap! And rebuilding them is straight-forward when using a rebuild video. A T-5 weighs about 75lbs. DRY! and it has to be one of the smoothest shifting manuals when properly set-up.

Mark

I have 3 T5's already, one WC. 4 if you count the Nissan. But my guess is just the gear sets alone will be well over $1200. Be interesting to see. I wouldn't want a blown up T5 to go through for this is it might have a stretched and damaged case. I really like the T5 and would like to see a cost effective way to upgrade one. An adapter bellhousing and brand new Motorsport Mustang T5 combined with an easy clutch foot seems most $ effective way of overdrive harnessing reasonable power. I think 500# ft would be no problem as long as you stay away from clutch dumps and drag radials/slicks.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking to do something like that about a year and 1/2 ago. I called G force, richmond, Jerico and no one had such a setup. I looked into the T56 also and that was doable, but I did not want to put out the 600.00 to have the bellhousing done.

I finally decided on the TKO2 and am just about to install that unit in my car. I have to get the throw out bearing slider completed, and that will be done this week according to my machinest. I had the clutch modified to run the TKO spline, and I had the stock bell housing welded and two ears installed to accomidate the Ford bolt pattern. That cost me 100.00 then I took the bell housing down to a really cool shop in my area and had it surfaced. I installed the tranny in the bell housing and marked it for the bolts for the tranny and drilled and tapped them, it worked out excellent, except for the fact that the recommended drill for the tap 12mm X 1.75 pitch was the erong drill. I used a .219 drill and it should have been a .206 drill so the threads were not cut deep enough for my taste. So then I am going to install stainless steel helicoils. I ordered some from metrics unlimited and they will be here this week I hope.

I am really wanting to get this bad boy installed this weekend if I am able to. The TKO was modified in the shifter to the same shifter position as the stock T5, and I am running the new 2003 mustang hurst shifter.

All in all, the setup is turning out very well. I am running the stock T5 speedo drive gear, I turned the housing to size on the layth to fit the TKO and it worked out perfectly in the TKO.

The tranny mount is 1/4" further back on the TKO from stock, but I was able to mod the tranny mount to fit in the stock place, so that is good to go. I will have to drill and tap the tail shaft for the stock mount, but mot to hard to do at all. This tranny will be excellent for me and I really dont think I will break it. I figure if there are ford guys doing 9's with it then I should not have to many problems doing 10's with my car.

The drive line turned out excellent also. I am using a LSD flange off the diff with a 2-2-1899 spicer companion flange and running a 1310 unitversal joint in the front and the rear.

I guess I should have waited a little longer and I would have not had to do so much work and spens as much money to do this mod.

Cool, if you are interested in the TKO2 tranny, give Shefi Keisler at Keisler automotive a call. He has kept the drawings on the mod for the shifter to fit our cars. (865) 609-8187 he can give you the low down and pricing.

I went with the TKO2 because of the gearing, the strength, the ease of the modifications to get it in the car. I will not have to hack my car to death to install it, and I wont have to worry about breaking it, maybe bending my car LOL but not breaking the tranny. After I get all of my new goodies installed then it will be time to bump the fuel management to push 600Hp and I will call it even for the car, finally done with it. Well I think LOL, who knows.

• 1 month later...

For anyone whose interested, one of the Go-Fast Mustang Mag's did a write up...with pictures, on the G-Force 5-speed trans.

I would second guess anyone wanting to use that trans as a daily driver; if you find the magazine I'm talking about, unfortunately I dont remember which Mustang Mag it was, you will see that all the gears in the G-Force Trans are straight cut..this means a whole lot of whining at higher rpm's.

If you like the whining your reverse makes when you're backing up a little faster than usual, then you can imagine what the sound of straight cut gears might sound like when going forward as reverse gears are usually straight cut gears as opposed to helical cut gears which are much quieter yet not as durable as the straight cut gears.

Once you see the pictures of the gears and splines you will see why it would make a perfect a trans for a Drag Strip, Auto-X, or a Sat.Night special type car.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

I haven't read the Mustang write-up but it sounds like they were testing the straight-cut gear set that G-Force offers. But remember, G-Force offers a helical-cut gear set and I spoke with the G-Force tech boys who build them and they said that the helical-cut/synchronized gear set can and does handle 600 hp or 500 ft. tq. in a 3300 lb. vehicle, their test mule runs low 10's with this setup. This should be plenty strong enough for 99% of the hybridZ's here. The straight-cut gears can handle more HP/TQ and allow "speed shifting" but are noisy.

Mark

I took a look at what Gforce is doing with the tranny. Not bad at all, a little late for me, seeing I called them a while back and tried to get them to do a tranny for me and they would not even touch it. The funny thing is that I think is is ONLY because of the ford application that they even decided to go for it. The good thing is that with the Nissan version, their unit is almost identical to our unit, fine spline on the input, they can totally set up a Nissan unit with their gear set and be off and running. I also like the longer 5th gear with a .58 ration rather then the .750 ratio in the Nissan tranny.

So who is going to install one of these bad boys????? I would like to see how they run.

On my tranny, well it is now ready to go in the car. I ordered a special cut reamer for the pilot bushing to make damn sure it was to spec and that took a while to get. I ended up doing the throwout bearing slider myself on the lathe, and I am not unhappy about that at all. You can see the rest of the pics on my web page at http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt/page24.html I have pics of the new throwout bearing, the front of the tranny, the spicer parts and all that jazz. I am excited to get this thing back up in the car, the helicoils turned out excellent so I dont think there will be to many problems to deal with, but who knows LOL :D