HybridZ

PLEASE HELP!!! MOUSTACHE BAR BROKEN... Wont come off!

Guest 1320the260

Guest 1320the260

261933_23_full.jpg

261933_24_full.jpg

ok i pulled off the moustache bar on my 2+2 to use on my 2 seater. well after i got all the bolts off on the 2 seater i realised some things... for one, the 2+2 moustache bar was IN FRONT of those big metal pieces... and the 2 seater's is behind them, and second how do i take this one off since that bar is in front??? my car is on jackstands right now and i need help ASAP. joe came and helped me earlier today. thank you! now i need help taking this one off, i don't even know if the new bar will fit... well any help will be GREATLY appreciated. thanks in advance

justin

you are going to have to drop the front of the diff. to do this remove the 4 14mm bolts holding the front member in place, you may also have to remove the driveshaft to do this. once the front member bolts are removed you should be able to move the diff down and fwd off the mustache bar. as ffor is it supposed to be that way im not sure but it dosnt look right.

Guest 1320the260

oh really?! it IS a R200? remember both of my cars are 74 260Z's my 2 seater is a early model 260, and i'm not sure of the build date on the 2+2 because the plate was removed. this is actually good news because now i have an excuse to bolt up the R200. what do i need to remove to use this diff? will my stock driveshaft bolt up? also will the 5 speed thats in my 2+2 work with the 2 seater's 4 speed driveshaft? your help is GREATLY appreciated! i was planning to swap the diff and tranny anyways... now i gotta go check to see which gear ratio the R200 is. heheh

Guest 1320the260

do i need to take the axles off the diff too??

please esplain which parts i NEED from the R200 to bolt onto my car, and which parts from the R180 i can reuse....

to swap to an r-200 you will need the diff the mustache bar and the axles that are on the r-200 now. They will bolt up to the stub shafts currently installed in your car. to make it real easy to remove and install i would removed the rear control arm mount too. this way the diff will go striaght up and down

I just ran outside and snaped these pics, so I hope it helps...

One is showing both, the R200 with matching halfshaft on top of it.

Another shows the R180 with matching halfshaft with the bolt through the center to fasten it in the diff.

The last one is a comparision of the two side by side....

I hope you can see the differncea.gif

LinkPhoto?GUID=5f9f1fc9-df4f-4e90-7ceb-7e8c183f575f&size=lg

LinkPhoto?GUID=611649b5-16e4-515a-2f3b-3b4c688a6991&size=lg

LinkPhoto?GUID=5de01277-e9fd-792f-694c-6f2c5a7d19f0&size=lg

Guest 1320the260

hey thanks! do you guys think i should change the transmissions while i'm under there? my 2+2 has a 5 speed in it... my 2 seater only has a 4 speed. i figure, while the driveshaft is out why not remove the tranny? haha. but then again i don't feel like droppin the exaust just yet. stupid rain, if it wasn't raining right now i'd be out there swapping my diffs