HybridZ

problems turning up the boost

HELP!!!! I am stuck at 12 psi. I have a 76 280z, with a 81zxt engine. I am running the stock ECU and wire harness. I have Volvo IC. When i turned up the boost to 15 lbs once in a while in second gear the car would shake and backfire out the intake. it will do this like 1 out of 3 times accelerating. My a/f guage goes all the way into the lean. But why only sometimes.. and the other gears i can hold it out fine. I also have a turbo xs rlf bov... could that be leaking?? I have 2 washers shiming it. What could it be?? any ideas??

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Under wide open throttle the ECM does not respond to the 02. You do have a good hi pressure fuel pump in this car right? Add a fuel pressure guage and make sure your not loosing fuel pressure. If you have the SVO injectors it should go way rich all around. Sounds like your out flowing the pump. Let us what you find.

You were right. I believe Its you stock pop off valve. Mine did the same thing. You hit too much boost in 2nd gear at high rpm.

I went ahead and installed a pipe plug where the pop off valve was. Also some of the ZXT's have a rev limiter at around 6000 rpm. Shuts everything down at that rpm. But sounds like you might just put another washer if not take the pop off valve off altogether. That is only if you feel secure with your boost adjuster not giving an overboost situation.

my 2 cents. My disclamer is I am not responsible for any damage that may be caused following my reccomendations (especally after I had a few beers :)

Len

i have the stock zxt fuel pump. And i dont have a pop off valve... i am running my 76 intake. no air regulator, no emmisions what so ever. I turned my boost down to 12 tonight... i am going to try a few things tommarow.

thanx for your thoughts!!! keep em coming :-D

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Forget trying anything else, replace that fuel pump. It was only designed to produce 180hp on a 25lb injector. It should have been the first thing you replaced.

True. But Before you do that run a liquid filled fuel guage into your cab. Do your WOT. See if you lose fuel pressure at max. boost to verfy your fuel pump is not up to job at hand.

Your are pushing the envolope on fuel pump but seem to remember Scotty-miz running 18 psi boost on 370's using stock fuel pump (not sure).

Although fuel pump would be a good upgrade for future.

Is your BOV venting to the atmosphere? That could be a problem showing lean.

It would be RICH if it was venting under boost. And the O2 meter registers lean because it's cold and wet with fuel. Trust me on this if you don't believe me.

It could also be your fuel pump crapping out as well - the stockers really do suck for flow at higher pressure.