HybridZ

Procharged LS1 vs. RB26DETT

Guest GoaTSLonG

Guest GoaTSLonG

What do you guys think is a better choice, A procharged LS1 (like Darius has)with a T-56 six speed or an RB26DETT with a RB25DETT 5 speed? My HP goals are around 500-700 streetable, weekend driver, weekend track car HP. This will be going in a 240z.

Guest Your Car is Slow

reaching the upper HP limit of the LS1 block at those numbers.

Pretty sure Darius has an LT1

Darius runs an LT1 and I HIGHLY doubt its stock bottom, if it is then he is amazingly lucky to have it hold together. You will not be running much boost on a stock LT1 or LS1 without high risk of short rod life, if you dont lose a piston first. 500 HP is not such a big deal, going north of that is where the risk lies - you'd be best to rebuild if you went with an LS1.

Unlike Ford, these engines are built with high compression and should really remain NA unless you open em up.

Not sure that I agree with that, but it is aluminum - if you really want big numbers go with an iron block. If nothing else you at least will avoid some twisting forces, which will cause wear and possible failure.

Guest zfan

LS1's are all forged bottom ends. They can handle a procharger as I know two people with them on their SS/Z28 combo's. 600 ponies. Better to go that way than to spray it.

Mike

Procharger Literature indicates that they have taken the Corvette LS6 - basically a modified LS1 - all the way to 700 HP with excellent performance. Call them and get ready with a check for about $8,000. I'd go the LS1 route every day of the week. There is no replacement for displacement.

well since knowone has said anythig about it yet... the rb26 is good for 600+ with bolt ons. ie turbo , fuel system, ect ect . anything above that pistons, rods, cams and a head gasket are in order and will get you in teh 700 range anything above that youll need more extensive bottem end work along with head work but will still be streetable car on pump gas!!!!!

LS1's are all forged bottom ends. They can handle a procharger as I know two people with them on their SS/Z28 combo's. 600 ponies.

We all know how fabulous factory forged rods are :roll: As for the pistons they are hypereutectic, not forged - your thinking Ford. The ringlands are even smaller than the LT1, sorry man but you are smokin some good stuff to think they will suck up 600 HP easily.

my car is very streetable, basically a stock drivetrain with bigger injectors and booste turned up . stock booste is 8 psi i think and i currently have it tuned at 15 psi. so out of booste it drives as any other car. actually gets decent mileage as long as i stay out of the booste. once i upgrade turbos should get over 500rwhp at the same booste levels.

btw i plan driving it daily as soon as i get air filter fitted which should be next week. finally got the blowoff installed along with the pieces that bolt on to the turbos to allow air filters to be clamped on.

No way, its a thinner block. The cap design is what eats power, the front apperantly is the worst. Here is a snippet of info from one of George Baxter's buddies, who has a fairly fast LT1 in his own right.

Just remember... an S/C application imposes greater loads on the block than a turbo for a given net flywheel HP output. The S/C drive HP has to come from power made through the crankshaft. When George was netting 1,125HP at the flywheel, he was probably taking 150-175HP off the front of the crank... meaning the combustion chambers were making closer to 1,300HP. When the issue of LT1 block limits has been discussed before, Madman claimed to be making 1,200HP with his ATI setup. Neither George or Madman suffered a catastrophic failure, but they had the benefit of seeing the condition of the block when they tore things down. They both came to the same conclusion... don't push it any farther.

If I can jog my memory on how to search for other comments of his on friction I'll post up.

Guest GoaTSLonG

the rb26 is starting to grow on me and i know how bulletproof nissan engines are considering i have a sr20det in my 240sx and i love it. Im not looking for insane HP (1300!) Im looking for 600-700 streetable HP (pump gas), i have no problem at all building a built motor before i stick it in the car. The only thing holding me back from the RB26 is that i'm in love with prochargers and darius's procharged LT1 haha.

Guest Your Car is Slow

Is cost a factor?

Itll cost you alot more to get an LS1 to that kinda power range than it will an LT1.

No lie, LS1s are nice but they are GENIII goodies and are too new for me to play with, buy in is too expensivo. LT1 is a GENII SBC so parts are readily available at reasonable costs since they follow old school design.