HybridZ

handling capabilities of a 240z?

Guest Anonymous

Any Idea how your Z would run against a porche cup car John.

Given equal drivers (how would that ever happen) I think a Porsche GT3R would easily beat my 240Z. I think my car (again with equal drivers) would beat a Porsche Cup car.

The performance of my car on a road race track (with slicks) would be comparable to a SCCA GT2 class car. In your neck of the woods it would probably be 2 to 4 seconds per lap slower then a Holden or Monaro V8 Supercar (that's assuming their performance is equal to our Trans Am cars). That's a wild guess on my part based on the races I've watched late at night on Speed.

There is an Aussie V8 Supercar race coming up shortly at Queensland Raceway. Turn one on that track is a fast righthander which the Supercars reputedly take at around 160kph. I know of one 240Z (not mine, yet) that can go through there at that speed on 'street legal' Dunlop RA-1 tyres, 15x7 or 8 wheels.

Well My track project will be heavy due to my getting carried away with the roll cage. I'm also on a budget for now until the house projects are done, and I'm about 9 months away from being completely done with those... SOOOO Maybe an aluminum shortblock would be the ticket!

John, I'm not ready to step up to your challenge since I'm on the right coast and you are on the wrong coast, and driving a truck with a car trailer ALL THE WAY to Cali doesn't sound "FUN" right now... However, The car will see track time, and I'll report on it when We go. I still contend that a race prepped V8Z will bas AS LIGHT as an L6 prepped Z. But you are right. No one has built one and raced it at local events... YET.

Now, If I could just convince Steve and Ian to drop a small block into the ZF Racing Left Coast Project car.... :D

Mike

Bugger, Didnt get the times. A trans am (we have a class that is basicly the same here) is way faster then the holden supertouring cars. Mostly due to tires and balance. Power to weight is similar. I will see if i can find out more about this car next time i am in Auckland.

Cheers

Douglas

Gonna take a lot of work to complete (few years probably)

It is an old car with old suspension design

Of course the car is an old design but how much does that limit it's capabilities? Can it be modified within a reasonable budget to do over 1g on a skidpad and 70mph in a slalom?

I have a '71 240Z, somewhat modified in the suspension and motor departments. I also have a '95 Z28 convertible. I can say that the 240Z's "old" suspension design is about 1,000 times better than the Z28's. Not a whole lot has changed in basic suspension design over the past 30 or so years, geometry is geometry. The 240Z's McPherson strut/Chapman strut arrangement is pretty good, not perfect. It is (IMO) far better than most semi-trailing arm IRS arrangements (BMWs and 911s up to the 90s). And it's light-years better than the F-body's live axle arrangement. Stock vs. stock and mod vs. mod, a 240Z would handily outhandle (har har) a 3rd gen F-body, maybe even laden down with 1000 lb. of ballast to eliminate the weight advantage. With the 1000 lb. weight advantage of the 240Z, it shouldn't even be a contest.

All that said, it was a hoot to watch an LS1 Camaro hold off a Boxster S at the SCCA races a couple of weeks ago at NHIS. The Boxster could keep up, but never could pass. Of course it goes without saying where each of them was faster than the other.

Now, If I could just convince Steve and Ian to drop a small block into the ZF Racing Left Coast Project car

Steve's looking for a new motor after the MSA event. With a V8 he'll have to run EM which he can probably win locally but he'll get his butt handed to him at the nationals from any number of 13B rotary powered, 1,200lb creations. But then agin, 500hp in 1,900 lbs vs. 300 hp in 1,200 lbs might be an even match. He'll need huge brakes and tires - 12" wide rims all around at least.

Well, again while I like the 240Z better I will not partake in flaming the Camaros handling abilities. Stock 3rd gen Camaros (HP levels), weighing in at 3200 pounds and Toyo R1 (crappy race tires), with the right driver will turn a 2:04-2:10 at Thunderhill. They are allowed some spring/shock mods, no coil overs, no brake mods other than pads, no big sway bars, everything has had to be OEM at one point other than pads/springs/shocks and of course a roll cage. There is also a ride height minimum which is a little higher than my street 94 Z28.

Not many cars can dip under th 2:04 mark period, even on better tires. If you can't make your Camaro go fast around the track then you suck or something is wrong with your setup. My Z28 in stock form right off the bat handled better than my 97 Cobra, a much more expensive car. Thats my 12 cents.

He siad it floats even with the suspension mods he has to it.

Sounds like crappy shocks to me. I've taken mine to no more than 150 MPH and its dead solid, not a hint of float or front end displacement from the wind. For alot of people with "suspension mods" its usually mismatched spring/shock combos, that is thier own doing.

Guest vegeta

Just so you guys know, the 3rd gen camaro is 1982-1992

I think you meant the 4th gen? (1993-2003)

And as far as my stats go (hot rod mag, car and driver, etc.), the first generation SBC (the most common of all chevy V8s) with iron block and heads weighs about 650 lbs, take off 75 for aluminum heads. The gen II SBC (that's an LT1) has aluminum heads stock.

As for the gen III SBC (the LS1), while it is all aluminum, weighs in at 520 lbs fully dressed. Of course fully dressed means with emissions controls and accessories. I'd say about 480 lbs in its lightest form (remember it has a complex FI setup).

Anyone have the weights for the different Nissan L6 motors? All I know is for a ballpark figure, the new GM 4.2 liter l6 weighs about 425 lbs, fully dressed-remember that this new GM engine is all aluminum, DOHC, with variable valve timing on the exhaust cam, and FI, and smog. So I don't think a carbed, non-smog SOHC non-vtec Nissan L6 weighs more than 400 lbs.

That means that the lightest production chevy V8 (ford 302s are lighter) is going to be AT LEAST 80 lbs heavier than the L6. And when you add the bigger radiator, dual exhaust, etc, that's more weight than the L6 Z will have (assuming all other non-engine weight saving can be done to both cars).

Maybe you guys making the V8 conversions should try the new Cadillac Northstar V8. It's all aluminum, with a hollow block/cylinder sleeve construction, helping it to weigh in at only 380 lbs, fully dressed. It's 4.6 liters and has DOHC (wake up and join the new millenium you pushrod dinosaurs!). There's a guy here in CA that hot rods them for street rods or customs or whatever you want. He builds 460 horsepower versions that rev to 8000 and get 25 mpg, he even makes a custom intake for carbs!