HybridZ

Need Help from 1 Ford lover and 1 Chevy lover! PLEASE HELP!

80LS1T

Ok I need one Ford biased person to answer these questions and one Chevy biased person to answer them. I am doing a paper on the Camaro SS Vs. the Mustang GT. If you do answer them give me your full name(Frist/Last). Thanks Guys!

1. What makes the Mustang GT a better car than the Camaro SS?

2. Which car has a better appearance?

3. Which car do you think is faster?

4. When you were a kid what was the car that you always wanted?

5. If you had to buy one of these which one would it be and why?

6. Is there anything that you would change about the Camaro SS?

7. Is there anything that you would change about the Mustang GT?

8. Are you a Chevy fan or a Ford fan?

9. Which car do you think started the “muscle car†era and why?

10. What makes the Camaro SS a better car than the Mustang GT

Thanks!

Guy

Guest Your Car is Slow

Yea so umm..you are going to need to specify years there.

the Mustang GT and Camaro SS moniker went on alot of cars....and a very very wide range of performance differences.

The muscle car era started before these two cars, and when the Camaro came on the scene it was about to die. From old T buckets to the 283 powered Shoeboxes, the Mustang/Camaro were in the middle of the heyday, but they sure didn't start it.

Ok well can someone please just answer my questions? I really need some help here fast! I have to turn this in to my teacher in 2 hours! :shock: I forgot until now that I have to have these, WHOOPS!

Thanks,

Guy

Guest Your Car is Slow

Nothing in the 2002 model year.

Matter of opinion...I happen to like the way the mustang looks better than the camaro in 02

an 02 camaro will destroy an 02 GT any day of the week and twice on sunday. Mid 13s stock in the SS....probalby high 14s for the GT

Both :)

the SS...alot more power...alot more potential. The 4.6 in the GT just blows compared to an LS1

The fact that it isnt made anymore?

Needs the Supercharged motor the 03 cobra has :)

Neither..I own a dodge

Neither....the muscle car era was not started by the camaro or mustang.

Its alot faster..what else matters? :)

it the (RUSTANG) isn,t BETTER but if I had to guess, its cheaper to buy

PERSONAL OPINION :wink:

YOUR KIDDING RIGHT! THE LS1 CAMARO IS AT LEAST 3/4 OF A SECOND FASTER :shock:

WHEN I WAS A KID THE 1964 GTOs and IMPALA 409s and 413 DODGES WERE THE FAST CARS 8)

CAMARO, at least every jerk with $2000 not driving one under the mistaken opinion its fast! :shock:

YEAH IT HAS WAY TO MANY LUXURY OPTIONs, WEIGHS TO MUCH, COSTS TO MUCH, AND SHOULD HAVE A 6 SPEED MANUAL TRANS and 427-454 DISPLACEMENT, or maybe a 502 bbc/4L80E trans option :D

NO I LIKE EASY TO BEAT LOOSER CARS AS COMPETITION :D

FORDS ARE FOR GUYS THAT DON,T KNOW ANY BETTER :D

the 1964 GTO NO QUESTION, IT WAS THE FIRST BIG ENGINE LIGHT CAR COMBO (MUSCLE CAR)

POWER <COMFORT, BETTER HIGH SPEED STABILITY,BETTER TECH SUPPORT,MORE SPEED PARTS,LARGER DISPLACEMENT, BETTER FLOWING CYLINDER HEADS,STRONGER CRANKSHAFT, MANY CORVETTE ENGINE PARTS SWAP,AND ITS A CHEVY, so you know the aftermarket parts will still be available in ten-30 years, you can still buy 427 corvette parts from the 1960s, try finding reasonable amounts of ford, 427 cammer parts ,boss 429 or boss 302 ford engine parts that are new manufactured, youll pay twice to five times the comparable chevy parts price when and if you do find them

I can buy a ZL1 chevy NOW for under $20,000,from chevy a BOSS 429 will cost $45,000 plus to built from all new parts

PAUL LANGEVIN

Guest Anonymous

Well, you should probably be comparing the Z28 to the GT, or the SS to the Cobra.

I’ll exclude the 2003 Supercharged Cobra because it opens a whole new can of worms. It’s price and power almost puts it in a class closer to the Corvette than the Camaro (Corvette guys would kill me for saying that:))

When comparing the SS to the GT, the SS wins in just about every category. It handles better and has a shit load more power. However the SS is significantly more expensive then the GT.

The GT is a better daily driver than the SS. It’s suspension is more forgiving, it’s rear seats are bigger, it’s interior is better, and it’s cargo space is more usable. But car enthusiasts don’t really care about that crap.

Saying the SS has a bigger after market than the Mustang is just plain wrong. The Mustang has always had a bigger aftermarket than the Camaro, and its parts have always been cheaper.

That being said, the SS responds much better to modifications. A heads and cam package will put the SS well over 400hp while the same modifications to a GT would yield 300hp if you are lucky.

Comparing the SS to the Cobra is a different story. The Cobra’s IRS (compared to the SS’s solid rear axle) gives the cobra better road manners. Overall the Cobras suspension is tuned better, which is why a Cobra will easily outrun an SS on a tight course. As I once read in a Motortrend magazine “The SS is better at making power and the Cobra is better at handling it.â€

The Cobra’s 32V DOHC V8 (not found in the GT) also has better volumetric efficiency than the LS1. In street form the LS1 makes up for it with displacement, but in race trim, the DOHC can be made faster than the LS1. But that requires a lot of aftermarket parts and high revs.

The F-body (SS/Z28/Firebird/TransAm) LS1 does NOT have a lot of parts that are swappable with Corvette parts. Simply because of the fact that they are THE SAME ENGINE! The main reason the Corvette LS1 is rated higher than that of the F-body’s is because GM wanted the numbers that way (read: the f-body LS1 is severely underrated). Most of the actual differences in HP are due to intake and exhaust systems (not swappable between the Corvettes and F-bodies). The only parts worth getting from a Corvette are the LS6 intake, headers, rods, etc. (which actually aren’t even worth it because you can get aftermarket parts that due the same job for half the price).

This is a good time to bring up the fact that I do not like the SS. It is nothing more than a Z28 with different shocks and springs and an inflated price tag due to exclusivity. The real performance deal form Chevy is the Z28. Buy a base model with no power windows and cloth seats; change the shocks and spring, and you have yourself a performance deal like no other.

I’m done rambling.:)

-Jason Riesbeck

for late model years, nothing. for 2004, non-existance of camaro.

subjective to owner

depends on the year

a datsun

a datsun, cause I favor datsuns

Bring it back into production?

Live rear axle and supportive bucket seats

no, because brand loyalty is stupid

Neither, muscle car era was dying out when both entered the scene. It was officially over around '73-4 due to gas crisis.

the LS1, the 275 size stock tires, the 320 rwhp, the 6 speed, the LS1 brakes

Quote:

its a CHEVY. :D ttops and a six speeded, all alloy engine, more cubes,

the mustange interior looks better, the mustang also is a little sleeker, i hate to admit.

SS, its got like 90 cubes over the 4.6, six gears, and a flat nasty revving powerband.

SS/RS with hideaways, any of em...

SS, cause i like to win!

the interior is crappy, the doors are hella long and low, the passenger side has this crazy bump on it by passengers knee, the console looks like a rental car, and the ttops are sometimes a pain in the butt to take on and off, even though i love em. i hate skip shift, and i would permenantly do away with the traction control.

trade it in for a supercharged new MUSTANG with the sc and the t56

CHEVY all day long, but i do like the 87-93 5.0s as long as its a convertible. 87-93 5.0 aftermarket is pretty cheap, but not as cheap as the dealership parts from ford motorsports, we have a guy at the dealership that gives us incredible pricing to boot.

1964 GTO hands down. i wasnt around but my boss, and people from his era always talk about how much they wanted a GTO 64 when they were teens.

ITS a CHEVY, and yes im biased.

Price, but definitely not performance. Oh, might I mention that Ford still produces theirs.

By far, the Mustang. Prettier doesn't always mean better performance.

Of course, the SS. Now, if you want to talk the Ford's top of the line Mustang which would better equate to the SS, then you know what will win.

The road course is where the cars should be compared, not solely at the dragstrip.

4. When you were a kid what was the car that you always wanted

Ford 1969 Mach 1 Mustang or a Boss 302

The GT. Put a quad cam, 32 valve, 5.0L cammer crate motor from Ford in it. Put that together with 03 IRS and Kenny Brown front K-member, and you have something that will take care of just about any Camaro on the road course.

It needs an IRS, fewer luxury items, smaller pricetag, and a much better looking exterior.

Needs an IRS, 32 valve heads, and a little weight reduction.

At the moment Ford. They are still building their Mustang with the new Cobra having performance possiblities that the SS can't even come close to for the price.

I don't believe either of them did, but the Mustang came first. The Mustang allowed everyone to own a "muscle-car" even if it didn't exactly have muscle-car performance. This popularity did big things for the era.

More power, better brakes. Still not a fair comparision. Put the Cobra or the new Mach 1 up against it and see how the Chevy does.

Guest Your Car is Slow

There is very little difference between a Z28 and an SS

Both are in different leagues than the Mustang GT as far as power and speed are concerned.