HybridZ

Found a nice electric fan control cheap

Just a heads up for anyone interrested in a nice adjustable thermostatic fan switch.

I found it at, of all places, Pep Boys. :roll:

I never shop there. I'm embarrassed just walking in. All that ricer stuff.

But....this is one nice piece. It is made by Hayden, part#3647.

It has a temp probe that mounts in between the fins on the radiator. It has it's own relay built in good to 40 amps, the inline fuse that comes with it is only 25 but that can easily be changed. It can control one or two fans. With two fans it stages them on as needed. It has an A/C override wire to bring on the fan when A/C is on. And you can choose whether you want the fan to stay on after the engine is shut off or shut off with the ignition. It's setpoint is adjustable from 90* to 210*. And it's very compact, about half the size of a pack of cigarttes.

All this for $39.95

I don't have mine completely installed yet (got to go to a wedding soon) but I'll let you all know what I think of it's performance when I get a chance to test it.

Finished installing it today, works great. Take note that if you are using the Taurus 2 speed fan and want this controller to operate both speeds you will need another single pole double throw (SPDT) relay. This is because you don't want to send power to both speeds at the same time or you can burn out the motor.

If anyone is interrested on how to hook it up just post here and I'll explain it. Not difficult at all.

Heya, Dan!

Thanks for the scoop. it sounds like just the ticket for a compact, sanitary installation. I'd be very interested in seeing how you wired the second relay for the Taurus fan, since that's the setup I've got.

Thanks!

Hey, here's the hook-up.

You need one single pole double throw (SPDT) relay with contacts rated for at least 35 amps. The relay has five terminals labled: common ©, normally open (NO), normally closed (NC) and two for the relay coil, ground and +12vdc.

Hook up the Hayden fan control per the instructions except for the two power wires that go to the two fan motors. Connect the wire for fan #1 to the C terminal on the relay. Connect the wire for fan #2 to the +12vdc terminal on the relay. From the Taurus fan you have three wires: ground, low speed, high speed. Different year fans had different wire colors so you have to figure out which is which by testing with a battery or checking with a Ford dealer parts guy. Connect the low speed wire to the NC terminal on the relay. Connect the high speed wire to the NO terminal on the relay. Connect your grounds from the fan and the relay to a good clean spot on the chassis and your ready to go.

When the controller energizes fan #1 power goes throught the relay to the low speed wire on the fan. When the controller energizes fan #2 the relay is energized and switches the power from the low speed to the high.

Connected this way the fan can never get power to both the high and low speeds at the same time burning out the motor.

Hope this helps.

Well, that's a long story. Short version: It ain't working. Likely the relay or triac or whatever type switch is used in the ecu is kaput. Hours of troubleshooting and no results. The ecu will fire the #2 fan relay but not the #1. This controller was a cheap quick fix. Plus, if I want to fool around with water temp for tuning purposes I can do that now very easily.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest deadzoneman

message for dan i bought that fan controler and im getting ready to hook it up i was told the fan controler has one speed so you can hook it up to the high speed wire and the only things you need is the hayden controler,mounting kit,75 amp bosch relaypart #0 332 002 156,free wheeling diode # 1N540 8 but another site said you need the low speed on 75 amp and high speed on a ford starter relay #st40456 is this true ive never hooked one up before can someone get me a diagram my fan came off a 95 ford taurus is a 3 plug wire i need the color wire diagram also for the fan someone please help and tell me what i need

Guest deadzoneman

I have a ? everyone out there to find what wire on my 95 taurus fan is low an high can i ground the ground wire to the battery and touch each of the other 2 wires one by one and check the speed to determine which wire is what

Guest deadzoneman

hi i have a ? on the taurus fan to find out what speed is low and high there are three wires can i just ground the wire straight to the battery and touch each other wire one by one to check the speed will that tell me which wire is which

I grabbed the Taurus relays when I grabbed the fan. That way they have to be the correct amperage.

A starter relay will work, but seems way overkill for what you need.

The fan should have different sized wires coming out of it for the two different speeds. The ground wire is a fat wire that is common to both speeds. The other two wires are the slow and high speed wires (the high speed wire is fatter than the low)

You can just hook them up to your battery to test. Be careful cause the fan will move some air and jump around abit.

I agree, a starter relay is way overkill. GM makes some great relays. They are five wire SPDT. Almost all GM cars after 1990 have at least two mounted to the firewall or fenderwells. Five bucks each or less at any junkyard. Pick the ones with the biggest wires coming off them and you'll be fine.

fbs01r16f18.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing this back because I just bought this unit. When you set the temp of when the fan turns on, when does it turn back off?? After 10 degress, 20? I dont see anything about it in the directions.... Also where did you guys tap the yellow wire into?? 12V constant or Ignition reference?? Thanks..

My fan controller is always powered. The fan will run for about three minutes after I shut the motor down and pull the key out. I thought this would be benificial on a hot shut down but if your cooling system is set up properly it probably doesn't matter.