HybridZ

Honda Facts or Fiction???

PETEW

Call me dumb, but I owned my 92 Honda Prelude for 7 years before I realized that the guy who owned it before me put a high performance Cam set, and high compression pistons in it. I naturally just thought that car was super fast from the factory and never thought twice about it. It's got 11.9:1 compression (measured). Has non-stock chip and the exhause is cat-back different than original. I bought this thing without knowing anything about hondas but it just drove better than the others I looked at and I thought it was because it had the B23 engine in it. Well, by Looking at it it doesn't look much different than a stock Honda. I guess that's why I could smoke Mustang GT and Camero RS's (street raceing only). I got beat once by a ricer with a turbo Eclipse, but just barely.

It's fun to drive but won't pass SMOG anymore since they added the NOX sniffer and lowered the max to sub 900ppm. I got 950ppm NOX, but my CO is 0 and my HC is like 10! Too late to fix it, I guess I'll be donating it to charity for a tax break, can't sell it without passing the smog, put $1500 into a new cat and the entire series of sensors before I realized my compression seemed too high, and then checked the computer. I knew about the exhoust cause it sounds pretty nice when you acceerate. but 7 years and over 130k and that engine just keeps hoing, I guess even 11.9:1 on these type engines won't detonate on pump gas, then why does a V8 have so much trouble above 10:1?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest goldeh2
Hey guys' date='

I think the funniest thing about the whole "ricer"(or should I say sun compact) thing is that the kids driving these cars dont seem to do any research about what they ar talking about... I guess a movie is all they need to watch to get all the "facts" that they need.... [/quote']

I agree with the 'ricer' sense of it... lets face it, every car group has those guys that are just in it to talk crap as a lame attempt to fit in. the sport compact scene just has ALOT more of them now thanks to that stupid movie.

I've had someone tell me my car was 'hella fast' because it has a somewhat nice exahust, it's lowered and the paintjob isn't stock(it's gold, hence the user name ;) ). now, my civic is bone stock with the exception of that exhaust(which was on teh car when I bought it) and I've had these 'ricer' types telling me my car is fast, and telling others I can take out v8's(I don't race. I *know* my car is slow.. and don't need to endanger others to prove it). Imagine having an army of idiots running around talking crap to other putting words in your mouth saying how you'll demolish a corvette.. and you've never said so much as a word to these people. :roll:

brandonengineer, B23? you mean H23 or H22, right?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 275Performance

I have delt with honda's for years. You can have a 10sec full interior with A/C hatch if you want, with traction. Simplest way to eliminate wheels is with full-race or Jimfab traction bars, and stiffer springs in the rear, on slicks.

Also the d16z6 motor, (stock in 92-95 EX & Si) can make a shitload of power turbo'd. Most can do 345whp on new internals and block guard. ZEX's turbo4 car runs 10.3 on SOHC z6,but the cost to build the motor is as much as a swap, and then is can hold whatever power to through at it. Also the K series motor is whats the next generation of honda power, coming stock with 220 to the crank. One K20 went 10's N/A on stock bottom end in Clutchmaster's Drag Insight.

Of course my aspect is strictly race, I don't really do much with street cars. Never took my honda to the track on radials. :wink:

Guest 275Performance

I've seen a few honda's run that on 93oct. Only on fully tunable engine managment though (Hondata, AEM EMS) but thats pushing the limit right there. Wouldn't go higher on 93.

Guest skittyscott

well... since i am a honda owner myself and a huge fan of z's.. i figure i might chime in here...

i have 2 honda crx's which are the lightest model out there and the best to build up for racing. if i were to swap in a jdm h22a vtec motor in there (which is a TON of work.) i would prolly see 13 sec 1/4 mile times. the transmissions that come with the h-series motors pretty much suck, so one would have to go with an adapter plate and mount a b-series tranny onto the h series motor for faster times. with this motor/tranny combo and a shot of juice, a decent suspension setup, and some drag radials, a crx would be able to hit 10's in the 1/4. right now i am building a crx with a 1.6l SOHC motor that will be capable of over 400 hp to the wheels and around 11 sec in the 1/4 while retaining ac and a full interior.

go ahead.... ask me how....

scott

I like imports but I don't understand the obsession with hondas. My 95 mx-6 with a klze swap (same as the standard 2.5 v6 but with higher compression and different I-manifold) cost me a grand total of 1500 canadian. I paid 900 for the motor and jpec lsd 5-spd. 400 dollars in bolt ons and misc junk . I ran a 14.3 on street tires and perfect shifts. Its by no means amazingly fast but it behaves exactly like a stock car, gets 30mpg and corners great.

IT would cost way more to get the same performance out of a honda. I just don't get hipe, except for the fact that hondas in general are easy to work on. There are better import platforms if you just want performance for your dollar. At least if you have modest goals like myself and the car still needs to serve as a primary vehicle.

Guest 275Performance
I ran a 14.3 on street tires and perfect shifts. IT would cost way more to get the same performance out of a honda.

I ran a 13.8 with on stock civic motor with a 75 shot with minor suspenion upgrade,and exhaust, stock header, and rest. under $1500.

the reason people love honda's is the same reason people love Z cars. They like the performance, the looks (cept honda's DON'T need wings, body kits nor 18's), and effort working on them.

All in all I'd say hybird Z car owner sand hybrid Honda owners a lot more in common then they think. 8)

Guest unknownroadster
Not to hijack the thread or anything but how many Z owners are Honda owners too?

LOL yeah it seems that some of you guys have owne or still own your honda...I once too was a Honda owner, Turbo'ed D16, 15psi, suspension, and a mild system. Wow that car was easy and cheap. Then it got stolen, found about a week later in TJ, raped to SH#T!!! Then got a 03 GTI, fun car still have it and my roadster. Hondas are in my opinion, almost the easiest cars to work on, almost all the parts are interchangeable between most models, with slight differences. Hell you can even take a 95-up Integra dash and put it in a 92-95 H/B, and add the door panels as well and the swap is complete. All hondas are, are Legos for big kids....LOL!!!

But theres just too many of them on the street now a days....take action.....read my SIG...!!! J/K

Guest 275Performance

I ran a 13.8 with on stock civic motor with a 75 shot with minor suspenion upgrade' date='and exhaust, stock header, and rest. under $1500. [/quote']

Sry I should have added all motor. I consider NOS to be cheating, lol.

I didn't use N.O.S. I used ZEX. Why is nitrous oxide cheating? Its a legit power adder as much as a supercharger or turbocharger. Yea the hollywood streetracer BS portrays it as some throw it in, run 10's, crap. But to really use nitrous as a real adder it takes the same careful planning as any other. Yes the box kits are much cheaper, but thats like comparing a prefabbd one stop mass produced turbo to a peiced together kit using better parts. Just getting a nitrous kit out of the box, wiring and plumbing it up isn't going to get you the best gains nor stability as if you were to also adjust the timing, run colder plugs, etc.

Honda's don't need motor swaps. People are finally learning the potenial in the D motor.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

There are plenty of fast Hondas in my area.

I'm not a big fan of them because they don't seem to be too durable, but here's what I know of:

Any Civic with an Integra GSR motor (1.8L 170hp) and basic intake/exhaust will run low 14's around 97mph.

A local guy has a Civic with a 2.2L Prelude motor with a large turbo has 400whp/300wtq and runs low 10's at 136mph.

A friend of mine has a 2.0L motor with a Jackson Racing supercharger w/ a custom intercooler setup, and he has 330whp and runs high 11's at 118mph.

A local guy has a Civic with a GSR motor and some internal work and runs mid 13's at 105mph all-motor.

Integra GSR's with bolt-ons and cams can run high 13's at 100+mph easily.

So they CAN be fast, but 99.9% of them are noisy shitboxes... just like 5.0 Mustangs.

I've had the opportunity to look at two 1.8 NA Integra swaps with some modifications and stand alone aftermarket FI, into a Honda CRX. NOT a drop in. Battery relocated to rear, and very tight. Several locations where the engine or transmission or accessories were only about "2 fingers" from the body or chassis parts. Stripped interior with only aluminum panels on interior and 8 point cage/roll bar. It runs well.

The point is: it can't get around early 220+ hp WRX Subarus .

Now that my Z/LM7 swap is a roller waiting to be rewired, I can dream of trolling quietly for Rice. Geezer driving stock bodied Z with blue tubes under the tub, in the wheel wells, and around the license plate seems to be a good lure for the like minded.

:lol: z

Guest 77vegasz

I make no attempt to hide the fact that my Z sports a V8. It has loud side pipes with that unmistakeable Chevy v8 rumble. I can't tell you how many sport compact cars have seen me up ahead and persued me to a light. I give them a few load revs and 90% back off and never run me.

I am sure that there are highly modified SCs that could give me a run, but it is a safe bet that 90% or more of the ones on the street are mostly show and not much go.

Jon

Nitrous blows chunks. Just a last ditch effort to gain some extra hp that isn't actually there in the first place. Why have temporary nitrous that WILL run out when you can have turbo ALL DAY LONG. 8)

Nitrous blows chunks. Just a last ditch effort to gain some extra hp that isn't actually there in the first place. Why have temporary nitrous that WILL run out when you can have turbo ALL DAY LONG. 8)

well nitrous is a power adder just like a turbo and or a supercharger.

does the same thing, more air, more fuel, more power.

best thing is having both!

mike