HybridZ

a BMW throttle body?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i was reading colin shipway's book "the essential DATSUN Z 240-280z and on page 75 there is a picture of a 280zx turbo engine intercooled with a throttle body from a BMW!

how could this work? is there anyone out there familiar with this set-up and will it yield more power than the 240sx throttle body?

pls folks shed some light on this intresting set-up.

What I'd like to know is would it be an easier install than the 240sx throttle body...
I doubt it. The BMW tb I pulled from the scrapyard will not bolt up without serious hole slottage, and the linkage would be another challenge altogether.

The 240SX tb can be a bolt-on deal. I am using the Weber big throat, and that is even less work.

Guest POKINATCHA

Sleeper

What are the dimensions on the throttlebody you're using? I've heard a couple of people refer to the "Big Throat".

Sleeper

What are the dimensions on the throttlebody you're using? I've heard a couple of people refer to the "Big Throat".

It's the same size as the 240SX, 60mm. Plus it's bolt-on with all the proper linkage to connect to the factory throttle linkage, no spacers. I picked mine up brand new on eBay - it had a "buy it now" for $85, and I caught it within 30 minutes of the initial listing.

why not cable linkage for our cars? I know scottieGNZ did it on his when it was a L28ET. He told me what I needed and i just have to go and get the cable out of the junk yard and I'm all set I re did the mounts, peddle, and body hole. I can't wait no more slow crappy hard linkage. And yes I did fully clean and lubercate my hard linkage as well.

tbs

• 3 years later...

The Big Throat was made by Weber as in Weber carborators for the the 280Z. It imported into the US by Redline Inc. [interco Kit No. TB280]. I have one on my Z. The improvement is marginal if the whole intake and exhaust system is not enlarged. The stock throttle body was incredibly small, it was a wonder any air got through.

The following changes were made:

1. The air box was replace by a K&N cone filter

Sorry, must have pressed a wrong key!

2. The air flow meter was replaced by one from a 600 series BMW. [Don't remember the exact series number, but I can look it up in my notes.] This AFM looks like it's on steroids.

3. Bore out and match the manifold intake to the larger throttle body. I think the "Big Throat" was 70 mm in diameter [could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time. I can check my notes if need be.].

4. Headers [Ceramic coat - optional but worth every penny for longevity and heat reduction, at least in theory] for better flow 6-2 from Motor sports.

5. 2.5" diameter exhaust pipe with a twin pipe resonator + free flow muffler[great serious sound without the volume intensity].

The AFM was the last item I replaced, and it moved my shiftpoint from 3000 RPM to 4000 RPMs without breaking a sweat. That engine winds out so nicely, I never thought it was possible. Gas mileage was greatly improved 21-22 mpg in the city, about 27-28 mpg on the freeway.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Guys - I am going to run the BMW 735i635i535i TB. It is actually 67mm in diameter. It looks like this:

180217898.jpg

180217896.jpg

180217891.jpg

180217889.jpg

Compared to the lovely 50mm OEM L28ET TB

180217891.jpg

This TB has no taper so its 67mm all the way through...look at the TPS same Bosch Style set-up as our L28EL28ET cars - bonus!!!! Will require new holes drilled in the intake or an aluminum adapter and of course some messing with the linkage, but heck worth it!!! Not quite as huge as the 70mm Mustang units, but will flow more than enough air for in excess of 500whp.

Yasin

Guest dan4011

the guy who helped me with my turbo uses bmw 80mm tb's on his cars, he just converts the linkage i think, i dont know what model or year bmw there from but i could find out.

I had the 60mm throttle body on my car with no other mods done to enlarge the intake. I drove that for several years. I put the stock throttle back on and the car was noticable faster.

First of all, you have to enlarge every aspect of the intake tract to even think about getting more air in there. That includes a larger AFM or no AFM with different electronics. And larger throttle bodies do not just add power. 60 or 67 will make no difference with a stock cam.