HybridZ

LS1 OBD II "Rough Road" Super tough question!!!!

Super tough question!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

In order to make my 2001 LS1 OBD II Legal in my Z I need to make the computer and wheel sensors decern between miss firing and a "Rough Road". Can any one tell me :

Do I need the abs unit up front.

Which wheels are used to determine Rough road contions

Any more info on the system

I wonder why they use wheel sensors to detect motion rather than the speedo signal?

I know the question doesn't help you much but it would seem like an obvious thing to do. If someone could figure out how to plumb in the speedo signal it would save having to install wheel sensors.

This sounds very fishy. Very. The wheel sensors are part of the emissions system? No way. Is your car throwing a P1380 code?

If I were you, I would go to the conversions board over at http://ls1tech.com. Lots of people there from Cali who've swapped LS1s into their cars. I have never heard of anyone having to hook up abs sensors. You would need the entire ABS system. You would need the BCM too.

I really think someone is giving you bogus info. This is an extremely esoteric situation. Here's a quote from my manual:

The PCM detects engine misfire by detecting variations in crankshaft deceleration between firing strokes. For accurate detection of engine misfire the PCM must distinguish between crankshaft deceleration caused by actual misfire and deceleration caused by rough road conditions. The ABS Brake System can detect if the vehicle is on a rough road based on wheel acceleration/deceleration data supplied by the wheel speed sensors. If the ABS system detects rough road above a predetermined threshold, this information is sent to the PCM via serial data. The PCM can then take the rough road into account when calculating misfire. Even if the ABS is malfunctioning and cannot detect rough roads, the misfire diagnostic will continue to run. However, if a misfire DTC sets, this additional DTC also sets indicating that rough road data was not available during the misfire calculation due to an ABS System malfunction.

Conditions for Running the DTC

* DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0335, P0336, P0742 not set.

* The vehicle speed is greater than 10.0 mph.

* The engine load is less than 60%.

* The engine misfire is detected (DTC P0300 set).

* The engine speed is less than 3200 RPM.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

An ABS system malfunction exists preventing the PCM from receiving rough road detection data.

I to believe what Jeromio is saying....if i were you i would find a diffrent referee...last thing they want to here is your wrong!!! I dont like repeating but what i did what cut and paste out of your previous inquire.

I know what your going through i am also doing a LS1 swap but with a 78 280z. When i talked to the referee he explained to me that all smog equipment and anything that would create the check engine light would have to be installed in the car. Even if the wheel sensors were OBDII specific. This doen't mean smog equipment only ergo fuel level sensor...if the computer doent notice a variance in resistance over time it will cause the MIL light to turn on-not emission but still OBDII- go figure?

I got a GM service manual and traced what systems were OBDII specific. What i found was this.

All Camero Equipment

Air pump

Air Silinoid

OBDII Cats (new)

All O2 sensors (4)

Gas tank -including everything that came with it

Original fuel level float. If not hooked up to the computer will throw a code

Evap Canister

Evap Canister control valve

Computer fan control-(3 fan)will throw code if not connected

VSS Signal

Fuel tank pressure signal

Pretty much every wire should be connected from your PCM or you will have your malfunction indicator light turn on. Exeption of the HVAC system. Wheel sensors are not required they are for your traction control and are NOT apart of the OBDII system!!!

I pretty much printed out all the pages with the wire systems and are going to be submitted when i go to BAR registration.

This is directly out of the manual

just more info for you. I am just about done with my swap.

*=important information.

Circuit Description

The speed sensors used on the front of this vehicle are multiple pole and the rear uses a single pole magnetic pickup. This sensor produces an AC signal that the EBTCM uses the frequency from to calculate the wheel speed.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The EBTCM detects a deviation between the left and right rear wheel speeds of greater than 6km/h (3.75 mph) at a vehicle speed of less than 100Km/h (62 mph) on vehicles equipped with TCS.

The EBCM/EBTCM detects a deviation between the left and right front wheel speeds of greater than 10Km/h (6.25 mph) at a vehicle speed of less than 100Km/h (62 mph).

The EBTCM detects a deviation between the left and right rear wheel speeds of greater than 6 % of the vehicle speed at greater than 100 km/h (62 mph) on vehicles equipped with TCS.

The EBCM/EBTCM detects a deviation between the left and right front wheel speeds of greater than 4 km/h plus 6 % of the vehicle speed at greater than 100 km/h (62 mph).

This DTC will set when the EBCM/EBTCM cannot specifically identify which wheel speed sensor is causing the malfunction. If the EBCM/EBTCM can identify the specific wheel speed sensor causing the malfunction, DTC C0245 will become a history DTC, and the DTC associated with the sensor (DTC C0036, DTC C0041, DTC C0046, DTC C0051, or DTC C0056) will be set concurrent with DTC C0245.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

A malfunction DTC stores.

The ABS/TCS disables.

The amber ABS/TCS indicator(s) turn on. *****

The Red BRAKE Warning indicator turn on. *****

This does NOT turn on the MIL Light so not OBDII i found this out before i started the swap so i think we are ok. I got tons of this stuff. If you want the service manual let me know i can make it avalible to you. or get it on ebay.