HybridZ

Ran a 13.333 in my 240ZT - Thanks

Jersey

Hey all. Just wanted to say thanks for all the tech info i read here on doing the T swap into my 240. Worked out well and brought it to the track a week or so ago. Best run was a 13.333@101.49. No I.C. yet so i kept the boost around 9-10psi. Here's two vids. I think the onboard is the 13.33 and the external/supra video was a 13.46. Time for I.C, RRFPR and a stronger fuel pump. Hopefully i'll break into the 12's next time! Thanks again.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shootme/3-SupraTurbo.avi - external

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shootme/12-OnBoard4.avi - onboard

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice runs. Tell us a little more about your setup. I am interested in what I have to do to get my car in the low 13's high 12's. Are you running drag radials or... Those were some really nice launches. If your doing that on street tires than you are the man! :D

Thanks all. Doug71zt - i do find that i can humiliate just about everything i come up against on the street - and EVERYONE wants to run me. Here in NJ, it's pretty rare seeing a 240Z on the road. Most have no idea what the car is. I know there's plenty out there that are MUCH quicker and faster, but, it sure is fun wasting some of those 8 bangers :) I wish i had a camera and recorder everytime i get asked what i'm running and i tell them a straight 6. Some of the looks and responses are priceless! On my 13.33, i pulled a 1.8 60ft time. I was running on street tires and pump 93 octane gas.

'73 240Z

Stock internals/gaskets on the '82 L28ET

Stock T3

Stock '82 ZXT ECCS

Stock '82 ZXT injectors

Stock '82 ZXT fuel pump

240mm 2+2 flywheel/PP/clutch

electric fan

BW-T5 - stang shifter

3.54 w/CV's

1G DSM BOV

Modified wastegate actuator - threaded to adjust to 9-10psi

2 1/2" mandreal bent exhaust with dynomax turbo

3/8" fuel feed line

'75 gas tank

215/50/15 dunlop SP5000's

Eibachs with KYB's

Thats about it. Nothing major...yet :) I was pulling on everyone right off the line but i think she started to lean out a little on top which is why only 101mph. I'm going back to the track in two weeks and by then, i should have a NPR I.C. in her and a downpipe with two 45degree bends instead of the 90deg stocker. After i get the I.C. in and turn up the boost a little, i'll find out if i'll need a bigger pump and new RRFPR. I ran 14 times that night and taped just about every one of them, either external shot or onboard. As soon as i get a sight together, i'll post them along with all the info and pics i took during the turbo swap. I documented a lot of the swap with hopes to help others out. Anyone know where i can throw some 2-3meg videos up on the web for free, for now? The most fun i had that night was running against a 350Z. Wasn't my best run but was definetly fun to go side by side with a new Z. I think i ran a 13.5 against his 14.2 :) Maybe i'll send that one to nissan....haha. Thanks again.

- Jersey

Wow, that is really excellent, especially your launching. I've not been able to get a 1.8 60' on drag radials yet. Maybe I'll do better when I switch back to the 3.54 (I've got a T5 with 3.90). Your car just gets up and goes. :2thumbs:

Thanks Sleeper. I think the light weight of the 240 is helping my 60ft time out a lot, compared to the little bit of extra weight of your 280. Sweet car BTW and nice times. I couldn't imagine what first gear must be like with the T5 and 3.90's. Even with the 3.54, i'm in and out of 1st so quickly. I saw the I.C. on your setup and wondered if you where able to crank the boost up to like, say 13-14psi without having lean issues? Or do you have an aftermarket high press pump? Thanks again.

Sleeper I have gotten a couple of 1.8xx 60 foots with my drag radials, but the track has to be prepped right.

I got the 3.90's and I am thru 1st and 2nd in a big hurry.

The intercooler will help you a lot, and going to a bigger pump, and wiring it up with a heavy gauge wire on a relay with a good ground will help.

YOu should be able to run 12 or so psi on the stock set-up, and I bet that bumps your trap speed up some.

Let us know what you run.

Thanks Sleeper. I think the light weight of the 240 is helping my 60ft time out a lot, compared to the little bit of extra weight of your 280. Sweet car BTW and nice times. I couldn't imagine what first gear must be like with the T5 and 3.90's. Even with the 3.54, i'm in and out of 1st so quickly. I saw the I.C. on your setup and wondered if you where able to crank the boost up to like, say 13-14psi without having lean issues? Or do you have an aftermarket high press pump? Thanks again.

I ran last season with stock injectors and a high pressure pump into the low 13's like you (but I bet I do have a couple hundred more pounds ;)) I was starting to run lean at the top end with 1600F EGTs. I was running 14 psi with the intercooler, but that is about equivalent to 12 psi down low (I'm in Denver, 5800' elevation). The intercooler will allow you to make the same power with your stock fuel, with less boost.

I did run a 12Ga wire directly from the pump relay to the pump and the ground is also thick and short. Voltage drop shouldn' be a problem, just wondering if it's not going to be able to supply enough at WOT. I probablt should get an adjustable RRFPR also. Guess i'll find out soon enough if i get this NPR I.C. I tried bumping up the boost to 11-12 psi while i was at the track but she started to ping just as i was crossing the line. Only did that twice then i kicked it back down to 9-10psi. Stock head gasket and no o-ring so i'd rather not blow her up with detonation...yet :) Joe - yes, Island. That was on a Wednesday night and i could have run 40 times if i wanted to! I've been to Englishtown once and was there for 5 hours and got 3 runs. Granted, Island isn't as glorified as Englishtown but, I enjoyed running back to back as many times as the L28ET would stay "kinda" cool. I'm from Morris County, you? I should HOPEFULLY be back at Island in about 2 weeks. Either on a Wednesday or Friday night. We should hook up.

I must have good luck because a always get both wheels grabbing, even when i'm heating 'em up. Thanks. Your Z is sweet also. RB26? That must be nice. Nice work. Hey Joe - nice to hear of another 240T in the area! Send me some pics and info! If i get this NPR I.C., i might be contacting you about that plumbing! ha. Have you ran it?

These are my cars.

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=70

If the link doesn't work the picture is on page 11 of the album. The red one is a V8 early 260 with a 327, Super T10 and Datsun Comp Posi. The yellow on is a 71 240 with a l28t, BW T-5, R200, T3/T40e hybrid, TEC II, spearco intercooler core with custom tanks, yada yada yada. I have run the 260 (12.8 @ 109) but haven't run the 240 yet.

Joe