HybridZ

Oops -caught by the Texas Emmissions Nazi's

Turns out that all the "stock" cars that are 24 years old or older in Texas are exempt from emissions testing. Unfortunately the V-8 conversion puts me into the "reconstructed" division which means I have to meet emissions requirements of the year reconstructed. Car passed with flying colors in all categories except it has no cats. I've got 15 days to get that fixed and then I'm on my way again.

Guest benjlv

guess you'll have to sell the car to me now LOL.

so how do you like the setup with the T56? whats your opinion on the ratios?

In Texas any engine that was originally equipped with catalytic converters will have to have them - especially since the law really refers to the year of 'conversion' not to the year of the body or engine.

My Z was a California version so it originally had a cat but that is no help with a V-8. This baby will either be heat shielded or insulated out the wazoo. Whatever it takes to pass, It'll get done - even if it's a "bolt in".

T56 - 1st gear too low - 2.66:1 should be about 2.35:1 - Would keep the ratios closer and not shred the tires quite so badly. Right now my normal cruise technique is to start in 2nd. No effort required to do that. It's as smooth as 1st gear start in an L28. If I am in a big hurry I get it rolling in first and then stomp it and hang on. 2nd gear shift comes in about 2-3 seconds, 3rd gear shift about 4-5 seconds after that.

Car's for sale at $30,000 - any takers?

Doh! At least that's ALL it is! Dynomax makes some excellent hi-flow cats reasonably inexpensive.

Personally, my Camaro has a 2.62 first geared Super T-10 and 4.10 gears, and I LOVE it. Can't believe you don't like the 2.66/3.70 combo. May not need it for stop and start, but should reallly get you going at the track. More gear does make it easier to spin the tires, but also makes it easier to modulate that wheel spin with your right foot. We'll see if you perspective changes more as you drive it!

Mike,

I'm running 225/50-16 Yokohamas and I don't think they hook up quite as well as some tires. I can't go wider with the wheels I have without flaring the fenders and I'm not willing to do that. I do agree - 1st gear launch is a rush! Definitely impresses folks along for the ride and keeps me on my toes staying in a straight line and off the rev limiter.

Also - one more thing - the Z is probably 700 lbs lighter than the Camaro? That makes a significant difference in hook-up.

Bill,

I think you might want to get a second opinion on the necessity of putting cats on your ride. Two things seem fishy to me: I have never heard of the "reconstructed" aspect of an engine swap. ALL I have ever heard is that you need to maintain the emissions requirements that were in place when the car rolled off the assembly line.

Secondly, my understanding of the law (fractured though it may be) is that they don't require cats on vehicles not designed for them specifically because of the very real safety issues that this can cause.

You're a pretty well thought out guy, and you may have already done this. I just thought I'd put it out for you to consider.

Scott

Hey, one more thing. WHEN DO I GET MY RIDE???? I've been waiting for a year for this!!! :-)

Congrats on getting it running!

I am confused about year of conversion and emissions.

I have a '77 280 originally from CA (had a cat convert) with a recently installed 350 (from a "77 Monte Carlo)....just got it running 2 weeks ago. Have not had it inspected yet....

Are you saying since I "converted" in 2003, I have to comply with emission requirements as if it was a new car in 2003?

I know in California they go on the newest of the car or the engine for emission requirements.

Please help me understand.

Thanks!!!

At this point I'm as confused as anyone. I'm getting a lot of conflicting information. I'm beginning to think that the "reconstruction" rule may be for vehicles less than 25 years old. I'm trying to very carefully verify that now. It will take a few days. In the meantime, I'd suggest you have your car inspected at a place that knows you, don't say anything about the V-8, keep the hood down, and get a SAFETY inspection. If they ask about the exhaust note it's just a new exhaust system.

Guest dbass

Here is what I found. Sounds like you are getting a bunch of bunk! TXDPS clearly states that the car must have all emissions components that were present when it was manufactured, read more about it here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/engine.html

There is no grey area about this. I havn't yet done my swap, but this was a deciding factor that helped in my decision to do a swap on my 73 Z after I get some body work done.

Looked at the web site and it supports what you say and what I thought. The problem is the inspection station is sticking by the "reconstructed" vehicle rule and trying to say that "year of manufacture" is year that it was rebuilt. I told him I thought he was wrong so now I'll have to contact the DPS to get a ruling.

Guest the_dj
Looked at the web site and it supports what you say and what I thought. The problem is the inspection station is sticking by the "reconstructed" vehicle rule and trying to say that "year of manufacture" is year that it was rebuilt. I told him I thought he was wrong so now I'll have to contact the DPS to get a ruling.

I took mine to a different shop w/ no hassles. :)

I guess I'm just a hard head. Went to the TXDOT inspection people and had a really nice conversation with one of their "experts" He talked to the inspection station folks and told them to put a sticker on the car.

1) Over 24 years old so inspection only - no emissions, and

2) Only '84 & newer require cats - if they were original equipment.

This particular inspection station - Hamiltons Car Care at 3028 E. Abrams, Arlington, TX was just flat being a royal pain. Basically I think they are so paranoid about getting nailed by the Federalies that they wouldn't go potty without chapter and verse out of the manual.

I think the state has the right idea on their approach but regs are a little too open to mis-interpretation. According ot the TXDOT guy a "reconstructed" vehicle is a like a dune buggy or a hot rod. I know mine is probably now skirting with that definition but it is still "mostly" Datsun. Like I said before - know the inspection station. the less they actually know about cars the easier it will probably be - they'll just go off the insurance paper that gives the year of manufacture and do a safety only inspection.

Glad to hear you got your sticker. When it comes to an inspection station Phantom is right by going to someone who knows you and not someone who is paranoid. Usually go to a semi dingy place who wants the quick buck and honks the horn and voila! sticker ready! Usually places with the name EZ stickers or Just plain state inspections or places who are not too technical looking are the places to go. You know, people named like Bubba III Jr. and Habib. :D Happy driving.