HybridZ

can you beat a harmonic damper back onto a crank

RARELY DO I FEEL LIKE CRYING, but I got a question asked...

"is it ok to use a large hammer and block of wood to beat the damper back onto the crank when doing a cam swap"

that question gets me that frustrated

71061744.jpg

heres the basic installation tool

159413_lg.jpg

look at the picture carefully, the tool is available from several sources

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3324&prmenbr=361

heres how to use it...

the small 7/16 thread ,on the tool threads into the crank, the damper slips over the tool, the large washer style bearing slips over the tool followed by the solid washer followed by the large nut that threads on the tool, the back of the tool is normally a 9/16 or 5/8 hex this is held with a box end wrench to keep the engine from turning, the large nut is usually a 1 1/8" nut and it is tightened with an open end 1 1/8" wrench or a adjustable wrench against the two washers drawing the damper onto the crank snout! lube the threads on the tool, the inside of the damper and crank snout with oil before starting. the damper will normally slide on about 1/4 of the way bye hand then the tool is needed to draw the damper on the last 3/4 of the distance, don,t over tighten the tool the 7/16" thread will snap off in the crank after the damper bottoms out on the lower timing gear if you do!,

NEVER USE A HAMMER AND BLOCK OF WOOD TO DRIVE THE DAMPER ON, YES THOUSANDS OF GUYS THINK THEY DID IT WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS BUT...

IT WILL DAMAGE THE THRUST BEARING CLEARANCES,

IT CAN BREAK THE ELASTOMER TORSION RING ON STOCK DAMPERS

IT CAN CAUSE THE INERTIAL RING ON FLUIDAMPER TO BECOME JAMMED INTERNALLY

IT CAN CAUSE THE DAMPER TO FAIL.

IF THE DAMPER FAILS THE CRANK WILL EVENTUALLY BE DAMMAGED

IT GREATLY STRESSES THE CRANK SHAFT

IT CAN DAMAGE THE CRANKS TRANSMISSION PILOT BEARING

IT CAN DAMAGE THE TRANSMISSION

ALMOST EVERY TYPE OF DAMAGE IS NOT SOMETHING THAT SHOWS UP RIGHT AWAY, BUT IT WILL DAMAGE THE PARTS LISTED AND THERES THOUSANDS OF GUYS THAT ARE WONDERING WHY THOSE PARTS FAILED 6-24 MONTHs LATER WITH NO CLUE AS TO THE CAUSE!

ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTION, IF CRANKSHAFTS THAT ARE A FEW THOUSANDS OUT OF LINE I.E. NOT PERFECTLY STRAIT ARE BENT/STRAITEND WITH A LEAD HAMMER BY CRANK MANUFACTURES (and yes thats how its done) AND CRANKS THAT ARE DROPPED ON A CONCRETE FLoor SOMETIMES BEND SLIGHTLY ,(happends all the time) WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT BEATING ON THEM WITH A HAMMER AND A BLOCK OF WOOD WONT DAMMAGE THEM? AND WHILE WERE AT IT WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO SOME GUY YOU CAUGHT BEATING ON YOUR ENGINE BLOCK WITH A HAMMER? WELL WHAT DO YOU THINK THE CRANKS DOING TO YOUR MAIN CAPS WHEN YOU BEAT ON THE CRANK? PROPERLY USED THAT INSTALLATION TOOL CAN EXCERT OVER 15 TONS OF PRESSURE TO SLIDE THE DAMPER ON, IF IT WONT SLIDE ON, THERES A PROBLEM! FIND IT AND FIX IT .....DON,T BEAT ON THE DAMPER/CRANK ...........if your cranks not threaded GET IT THREADED next time the cranks out, in the mean time pack the crank snout in dry ice and the damper in boiling water.....once both at at the correct temp. spray the inside surface of the damper with LIQUID WRENCH and using pot holders, to prevent burns slide it quickly onto the crank snout before the temp differance equalizes, and yes it may take a few wacks with a plastic hammer but genrally it slides on easily UNTILL the temp differance equalizes

Guest Anonymous

Here, Let me help Grumpy!

Basic tool kit for first car.

TOOLS:

1. Hammer.

2. Pliers.

3. Screwdriver.

4. Tire Tool.

5. Pipe Wrench.

6. Wooden Block.

SPECIAL TOOLS:

1. Cresent Wrench.

2. 9/16 x 1/2 Open End.

3. Chizel.

4. Bigger Hammer.

5. Chain.

6. Oil Can.

7.Bigger Wooden Blocks.

SUPPLY'S:

1. Rags.

2, Oil.

3. Bulldog Tape.

4. Bailing Wire.

5. Band aids.

6. Methiolate.

7. Phone Book.

DID I MISS ANYTHING?.....LOL!

SPIIRIT

you left some tools out of your redneck tool box

how can you get by without....

duct tape

an acetolene torch

PB, blaster spray

and a 6 foot pry bar

a hi-lift jack

and a 45 colt pistol for drilling holes

and old car rims for jack stands

and a milk crate for sitting on!

don,t forget the first aid kit

super glue for sealling cuts on your hands and a qt of wild turkey to take away the pain!

Guest Aaron

Grumpy, I know this from my own two eyes. 1st, you don't need a jack, you just park over a ditch; 2nd, PB Blaster? thats what vice grips, torchs, and chisels are for. :-D

• 3 years later...

Who needs special tools, hammers, or wooden blocks? I always use the big ole' rock I have for a doorstop. It works well, only dings the metal a little, gotta watch the fingers though.

Seriously, most people have used the hammer/block method, but these days the tools are cheap enough to buy. You can also rent the tool at your local Autozone. A friend of mine even made one from a couple of old balancer bolts.

Put the hammer/block down.................lol