HybridZ

Turbo L28ET setup....

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Hey guys...

im getting worried because im leaving soon and really nothing is done to my car yet.

The Motor i found is a L28ET with a bad turbo, and no spark.

I have my tranny and driveshaft.

So im gonna need really everthing to get it built up.

its gotta be at low prices and etc.

So if you guys have links, ideas, etc for me that would be great.

so im asking about.

pistons, rods, cam, electronics, turbo, etc etc etc.

i know ppl are gonna say search but maybe ppl have links or ideas that there doing to there L28's right now.

Thanks

Guest ON3GO

No im lost on what to buy because of money.

Alex is helping me out and he is doing a great job also.

I know what turbo i ant but im not sure that would be good to run right now because i might not have enough money on a great EMS, etc etc etc.

I heard Wiseco pistons are great but im still not sure.

i really just want enough power to make it run mid 12's...for now atleast.

There are many cheap options you can go with, like somebodys old Z31 converted L28et system. You dont need to worry about spark or any of that until you get the engine managment system in there. The rods and pistons probably dont have to be replaced. You do not have to worry if the engine is running or if it has spark if you are changing the management system or rebuilding the engine.

Guest ON3GO

Well i wanted to rebuild the motor enough to make it hold all the power i ant to throw at it, for the 11's i want and 400rwhp i want to have also.

It sounds to me like you have to pace yourself. Do not expect to run 12's right away - it takes time even with a perfectly installed, perfectly tuned car. If you are running into budget problems (who doesn't hav those?), take a look at what you have, and work from there. It will cost you plenty of nickels and dimes just to install what you have.

If your motor is not broken, there is no need to build it now. It will cost you PLENTY to build it up, especially with new pistons. I've run 13s on a tired engine, and Shane has run 12s on tired engines.

If you can't afford engine management right now, you can stil run a big turbo of your choice, since you need to get one anyway. The car will run BETTER with an efficient turbo, not worse. You don't have to run 15-20 psi on it, just run a modest boost until you can upgrade the fuel and EMU.

Good luck.

Guest ON3GO

well ill buy a fuel rail, and injectors and a bigger fuel pump.

i was going to get Alex on here to do some port work to the motor.

so i figured then ill put new pistons and prep the rods.

also metal headgasket, and other simple stuff.

i have my boost controller already.

so where can i get the Z31 harness and ecu already setup for a L28?

anybody no whats real good injectors for a good price? like im guessing 55lb or bigger right....

thanks

I built my 240ZT on a budget of 4500. including the price of the car.

what I managed to get was:

1972 240Z

L28T engine with 70K miles

GC coilovers

KYB struts

16 BBS RXs

4 used tires 80% tread left

sparco racing seat

ST sway bars

MS auto struts bars

three inch exhuast

Turbonetics Deltagate

Huge intercooler 30x14x3

Mandrel bent IC pipes

GFB Hybrid BOV

VDO gauges

Sabelt harness

complete FI harness (not Z31)

Toyota brakes

and a full clean interior

+ lost of little things that add up.

lots of paint

a chop saw

and a welder.

I did it on a budget, to get a start. Its really difficult to go all out and get something to work on a tight budget, and schedual, as a matter of fact its almost impossible.

You have alot of great parts already, Now if you go to school in the fall, you have 60+ days to get everything assembled. Do you really think you can count on anyone but yourself to get things done on time? Engine builders, just like painters, Take thier sweet ass time. And no matter how hard you push them, they will do it thier way, your screwed because they already have your engine, what are you going to do about it? also, Custom pistons? geez, how many guys here can chime in with stories about how long that takes!

I found my engine through a local club member, he sold it to me dirt cheap, and its in great shape. You can find a used ZXT engine with harness for around 600$ on average. There is not reason that a decent running engine can get you around for a good long time while you slowly build your dream engine.

Spend the money you saved on machine work and parts, on a good standalone EFI. and fiddle with the tuning, while keeping the boost at a moderate level. It will be plenty fun, and plenty fast. Then, when your engine is all finished, drive the car back home, and you and your father can install it during the christmas break or spring break.

When you build a car like your doing, time is in no way on your side. Things will crop up, parts will get lost in transit, and things will be back ordered. its part of the game.

Speed costs money, Zs cost even more, Building both at the same time takes TIME.

Im not saying it cannot be done, I rebuilt mine from a shell in eight months, while working two jobs and trying to keep my selfish EX girlfriend happy/content.

just realize what your getting into, and dont try to hard to make your dream car in two months, you will end up getting frustrated and disenchanted with the entire project.

anywho, its a bit of a ramble, But ive been there/done that. and im doing it right now again. I have to finish my NA 1k budget 240Z in 63 days. inlcuding paint/body/interior/engine. Im strugling as we speak, Its still a pair shell, it still needs rust repair, and im STILL waiting on some parts so I can move on. tough little hobby we got going on here.

Guest ON3GO

thanks man,

any pics of your FMIC? and any info on it at all?

i just bought my master cyl, and etc just now.

gotta find info on the exhaust, and intake now.

i cant wait for my tranny to get here so i can clean it up and paint it.

mike

Guest ON3GO

yeah im thinking about a EMS... i just really dont have the money for it..

im just not sure if i can install it, like if its hard, and etc.

and im not sure on what one, but i want to use a laptop.

trying to find out whats needed and not needed for my goal right now.

Mike,

I sold my last one about two months ago. keep a eye on ebay for some intercoolers, Just be aware of what your bidding on. Most factory ICs (such as starion/probe/volvo etc) dont really flow that well on high boost apps as they are meant for 7-10 PSI. also check out ebay for used EFI. I almost bought a used accel DFI for 600$ already set up for a L6T. while not top of the line, its still programable, and is widely used by alot of people.

but of course, when dealing with other people (IE ebay) you never really know what your going to get. same with that link i sent you about the turbo engine. be sure to take a good look at it, and get a compression/leak down test performed.

-S

I have a parts car that has a complete turbo engine in it. The car was running a couple months ago, Before I pulled the gas tank, fuel pump, battery. Now this engine did have rod knock, so it will need to be rebuilt. Anyway, I have a local guy that was interested in it and wanted to pull the engine during the 4th holiday, If he doesn't then Im pulling the engine out anyway and I'll let you know its available.

I would use the stock engine as a test platform and get your set-up dialed in before rebuilding the motor. I should have done that with my set-up since I subjected my motor to all the gremlins that plague an installation like this.

The stock engine is plenty stout for handling what you want to do just make every mod with growing in mind. Don't think it will be good enough, you will always want more power.

Good luck.