HybridZ

The most frustrating thing about a HybridZ project...

JoeinCA

...is getting the parts you want/need!

GRRR

The Budget thing is out the window. Last week my bank account balance dropped below the point i promised myself that it wouldnt... and i still need to buy a transmission!...

:evil:

Ah the Joys of owning what seems like the most demanding money pit in the history of the universe. :twisted:

I still need to get the wiring done... I've got the fuel pump installed, The tunnel has been "prepared" (My ears are still ringing gotta love air hammers). Ive been at it one week, with a 3 week completion goal, and ten million things to do.

The good news is though, i really like to work on the car. Because every turn of the wrench is one closer to me turning the engine over for the first time.....

:shock:

AHHH i almost forgot... I need to get an exaust system too! %#@%*

No worries... I'm only going insane! :D

Anyways, that turned into more of a rant, but I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thought was the most annoying thing about thier hybrid project... 'cuz i'm really bored. and have nothing better to do with my saturday night that sit at home looking for a transmission and posting messages.

I never really know what to write here (ie. seeya later?)

Joe.

I know your frustration Joe. I've been working on mine for over two years. I've never really had a budget, well, maybe before I started. I just try to do all I can to save on everything I buy for the car. Now that it's in the bodyshop (#2 :roll: ) all I can do is visit on Saturdays and watch the progress.

Stick with it bro. I want to see that car at next years Rio Vista meet. :2thumbs:

Rookies! :lol: ,

I've been at it for 4 years now, don't even want to know what I've spent....could stand to count anymore after I hit $5000.

But at least the bodywork part is 98% done. Taking my homemade Tri-Y full length header to Rewarder on Monday for high temp coating. I figure 2-3 more months.

Hell, Pete spent what, 14 years on his :shock:

Tim

I hope that i will be able to get it there. I am moving to Wyoming for school (wyotech baby! I'm stoked.) in February. So i need to get this running so that i have a vehicle to drive.

I really like your car Dan. It has alot of character, sorta like my car, though yours pulled the "multi colored look" off alot better than my car.

Is it in the body shop getting painted?

Heh... I have been trying as hard as possible to not think about body work...(because i have to do it all myself!)

I try to remember to always have fun...

It's too bad i also have trouble with my memory :-)

It's only a matter of time and money...

Joe

We need to give Pete an award. Like a trophy or something. it is amazing that he stuck with a project car for that long... most marriages dont even last that long :-).

:D

I couldn't even drive legally 4 years ago!

This car is never going to be completely done. I need to get it driveable though.

Tim, do you have a picture of your exaust? (I'll check your site in a minute..)

Joe.

I Can see why your car has taken such a long time...

That rear suspension/diff setup is slick! that woudl make it alot easier to swap the diff out! (ive done it 3 times now! the crossmember is always in the way.)

I wish i had time/money to do all of that stuff right now...

Tomorrow i think i will start working on patching up holes and prepping my engine bay. i hate doing bodywork outside...

anyhow.. maybe i should get some sleep soon...

Joe.

For me its wiring right now. I have about 5 things to be done before i can insure the car. Horn not working. Brake lights not working. Hazard lights not working. Oil pressure gauge leaking. Crack in windshield.

I have spent 2 days trying to track down the horn and brake/hazard problems. As far as I can see my hazard relay is unplugged, which should kill both the hazzards and the brake lights the way things are wired. However, under no circumstances can I find the wires that need to be plugged into it. Its driving my batty.

I got so upset at my car today I cracked the windshield with my fist. :P It allready needed replacing, but now my fist does too. :roll: It sure felt good at the time though.

Guest ON3GO

im with you guys.. hell im a real rookie... only a few months doing this but already spent close to 6k on parts alone!

and my Z still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cant beat a geo metro!

and im 19 going to college!

Yah know I have been feeling the same way lately! I am so close to having my car driveable I can taste it! However I just dont have the motivation to finish up the few things that need to be done before I get my computer back from Street & Performance(I will get it back later this week, I hope!), so that I can just put the computer back in and go for my first drive(farther than the 1/4 mile that I have driven it 2 or 3 times :roll: ). I just cant seem to get my a$$ in the garage to do the things that need to be done.

Everytime I go out there I think..."man why didnt I do this when the engine was out?" or "I should have done it this way instead(like my tranny mount, yeah I'm on my 3 version of a tranny mount!)". I think next winter I will pull the engine and do somethings that I should have done in the first place and do them!! :D Oh well live and learn I guess!

Guy

Oh and dont give up man just wait till you line up next to Camaro SS at a stop light and you smoke him like he was a Honda ! Thats what I'm looking forward too! :twisted::twisted:

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
For me its wiring right now.

If anyone in or near Sac, CA needs any help with wiring give me a holler. I had to do ALL the wiring in my classic truck myself so I'm pretty good with all that stuff :wink:

Took me 6 years from getting the car to being driveable.

Note that I didn't say, "finished". which hasn't happened yet.

I stopped keeping track of money spent when the total got past the ridiculous level.

Stay on it - You know you'd just waste your time and money if you didn't have the Z - And the result is worth all the money/ effort.

Guest ON3GO

hey rick, my advistor for UTI told me he knows you. he came to my house and saw my Z and told me i would love to meet his friend and he told me it was you :)

Hey, good news, i managed to pick up a 700r4 from an 85 camaro (i know, they arent the strongest ones.) for $150 with the TC and flywheel!

So, now all i have to do is service it and slap it on my 327... then test fit, driveshaft, wiring, exaust, heater, rad. support, fuel reg, put the front suspension back together... eh. :roll:

ok so i still got alot to do, but now i think i have ALMOST all the parts...

except the starter...

Hey Rebel... i may have to try to take you up on that offer , I can do wiring but it always looks (and is) kinda haphazard :oops: . Do you know where to find those nice weatherproof connectors? (GM style, late model camaro) I've been wanting to use good connectors, but i can't find them anywhere locally. If i could find good connectors i would go through and change every single connector in my car, and color code each and every one of them!

All i can say is Z cars are cool. very cool, very very very very very cool, and when mine's done it will be the coolest... (because it is MINE!)...

staying motivated,

Joe

Are you talking about the weather packed connectors found on the wiring harness of most late model cars?

If so your best bet is to get a wiring harness from a junk yard. I tried to just get a few connectos but the local junk yard said I would have to buy the whole harness! I was like %$%# that! So since I work at a DODGE dealer and get all my parts at cost I went and checked them out to see how much they were...Yeah a knock sensor connector for a LT1 350 is $62.xx for me to buy from GM...at the my work at cost for me was $9.xx!!! :D I also needed a TPS sensor $72.xx at a GM dealer...for me at cost from a GM dealer to the DODGE dealer...$38.xx!!! :D It's a benefit working at a dealer I guess!

I understand the frrustration. I started out a bit starry-eyed thinking my project could be done in 8-12 weeks. If I had been thinking months I would have been a bit more realistic. The car ws in the shop just a few days short of 11 months and it will have to go back in for another 4-6 weeks next month to have some "adjustments" done. Hang in there. Oh yes - cost? Take what you originally thought you could do it for and multiply it by 2 1/2 and you'll be close to the reality of the situation.

Hell' date=' Pete spent what, 14 years on his :shock:

Tim[/quote']

Now, now - my car is becoming a fish story. :roll: It was 11 years, and 1 of those was while it was in storage. And MANY months where I didn't do a thing to it, off and on, over those 11 years.

But the nice thing about it taking that long is the money outlay is stretched out as well :).