HybridZ

Pipelayer and David K's score!

David K

I got a call 2 nights ago from a guy who found my # on a Z site. He told me his roomate moved out 4 months ago and left her 1972 240z in his garage, he now owns it, and he needs it gone by the next day because his landlord will junk it. So i call Jim (pipelayer on this site) and tell him the scenario. Needless to say, we were there that next morning to pick up the lady.

Well it was a nice score! Jim (pipelayer) came from San Bernardino with a 1996 Ford Explorer and a trailer, more on the Ford in a bit. We met up at 10am in Long Beach where the free Z was. When we got there, we were shocked at the condition of this 240z. The interior is in very good condition. The seats are perfect and the door panels are perfect, and the dash has has 2 hairline cracks in it, also very nice. The exterior has some primered panels. The engine was in excellent condition. I took the valve cover off and the cam lobes have 0 marks on them and they were as smooth as a new cam, and the timing chain was very tight. There are new parts galore in this Z! So we hook it up on the trailer, and head towards the 405 fwy. We stop and to get gas and lemonade, and we notice the Ford Explorer was leaking tranny fluid, and it was leaking pretty bad. In the 10 minutes we stopped at the gas station, it left a puddle about the size of a coffee cup spill. So we put some tranny fluid in, and hit the fwy. We decide to take the 91 east because my friend says the 60 is packed. We take the 405-605-91 east. We pull off in Cerritos, because the shitty ford is smoking bad. Fluid spraying out from the front tranny seal, on to the exhaust. We put some more tranny fluid in, and talk on our cell phones as we hit the freeway again, and decide to go all the way to Corona before pulling off again. Stupid fords. I had a hood and windshield full of Type F tranny fluid. We pull off in corona, i get out of the Z, step into 100*f weather.......damn. Take care of biz, then hit the fwy again, pull off in Riverside, take care of biz again, try to hit the fwy again. Bad idea, so we get off the fwy in East Riverside, and take the streets all the way to San Bernardino. We end at his house at 4pm.......Worth it? Yes it was. I gave the Z to Jim for working so hard throughout the day....he earned it, plus i dont have the space and the time to get it on the road.

Check out my site for pics. http://socalz.org/bigjim

I also added some pics of Jim's 1970 Nova, if anyone cares to view. Its a nice Nova, and i want one.

I consumed 2 gallons of water in the course of the trip. It was supposed to be 1 hour to his house, and ive driven it many many times since ive lived out there before. 6 hours.......#%#%#

dk

Guest bigjim240z

ya..that pos ford really pissed me off...my buddy just paid 3500 to replace that trans now its leaking...i would do the trip again tomarrow if we got another call for a free 240z..lol..so it was worth it!

Awww come on guys, Fords are not sooo bad! Just depends on your point of view. Many Ford drivers are watching you from their rearview mirror :D

The Explorer may have crapped out on you, but there are a ton of them still on the road doing just fine.

We DON'T need to start a Chevy vs Ford flaming war here--leave that to the pathetic sites for juveniles (sp?) and their ilk (got that right), ok?

Say, "Yes, Davy." :D

Alright. That said, I have to finish this Chevy conversion on my Z....

Davy

Haha Davy, but i honestly do think this is a reoccuring problem, lol. I posted my story on the SoCal SE-R website, and a nice young woman, one who our fellow hybrid member Auxilary knows (middy), replied with this:

Funny you should mention that about the Explorer. I got royally sprayed

with tranny fluid by one on my way up the Grapevine. He was going fast and

I tried to accelerate to get by it, but in the process I had to get too

close behind it which only added to the amount of fluid on my car. It was

so bad, I couldn't see. So I ran the wipers... even worse. Luckily I was

right at Gorman so I frantically tried to get over, but I missed the exit

since I couldn't see a damn thing. It was dusk too, even worse again! I

ended up pulling over at the end of the onramp, and backing up all the way

down it when there was no traffic coming up it. (My backup lights don't

work - doh!) Naturally the gas station didn't have soap in the windshield

washer bins. That AT fluid is water-resistant sheeit, yo.

this affirms that I will never ever buy an Explorer

Hmmm, same problem, different Exploder. :lol:

Guest bigjim240z

well..this explorer has had a ton of trouble the last year or so..right now the # cyl has low compression..i traced it down to being a valve problem..and 6 months ago it had 3500 worth of trans work done..now its leaking like a pig from what looks to be a front trans seal ...im just glad it was able to drag the z home..lol..i really pushed that thing to the limit..and it kept going so i cant bad mouth it...lol..not starting no chevy ford wars here..i like em both..but i like datsuns better...!

Alright. That said' date=' I have to finish this Chevy conversion on my Z....

Davy[/quote']

Correction, that should read "I have to START this chevy conversion"

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D