HybridZ

What do you thnk of these headlights

Boobala

High Wattage 130/110W light output with only 85/80W current draw.

Ahem. Someone needs to learn some basic electrical theory.

Does not require any modification. Quick 15 min installation.

This guy has never installed headlights in an early Z before.

Updated High Tech Euro Look!

Last few times I was in europe, I don't recall seeing any HID beams... I barely remember seeing any BMW or Mercedes at all.

OK, just had to pick the auction apart. The headlights are sorta ricey if you ask me, with the "halo glow" option, and seem rather cheap for what they claim. Regardless, make sure you use a relay or two when wiring these up! You wouldn't want the 85/80W of current to melt your wires. :roll:

Guest ON3GO

well i dunno i stayed in germany for a few months, last year and the year before.

there was alot of cars like bmw's and benz's that had HID.. hell even some of the FIAT's, and all teh porsches had them,

well i dunno i stayed in germany for a few months' date=' last year and the year before.

there was alot of cars like bmw's and benz's that had HID.. hell even some of the FIAT's, and all teh porsches had them,[/quote']

Those are stock. Converting to HID costs $$$ and is near impossible for the average do it yourself mechanic.

Yes REAL HID costs Big $$$. but I don't think it's nearly impossible to do on an early Z especially considering the kind of swaps that are talked about on this website.

True, the auction mentioned on this thread does NOT supply a true HID conversion. But for the price, that kit would be a decent upgrage from the old halogen lights originally on our cars. I did a similar H4 ( hella ) swap on my 240 and it made a big difference in visibilty at night. You should definitley upgrade the wiring harness though. I noticed my headlight switch got VERY HOT ( near the steering column ) before I upgraded the wiring with the H4 conv.

I know Pete's website has good info on this method. I know because I pretty much copied what he did and it made the H4s even brighter. If you're unsure about wiring I've got an APC wiring upgrade kit from Jeg's brand new in the package that I would be willing to get rid of. It's specially designed for this appliaction to be used with an H4 conv. I never used it because I ended up using Pete's method, but it is perfect for someone who doesn't want to get too involved with wiring, etc. The relays are already wired in with the kit. It's as close to plug and play as you can get with this.

Also, I noticed the kit on ebay has TINTED blue bulbs. Sometime people think these bulbs look like HID with that pure blueish/purpleish light emitted from high end luxury cars. Well the "tinted" bulbs won't look quite the same as a true HID kit. So if cops in your area are looking out for anything illegal on your car, ( and in Cal. they usually are ) your blue headlights will stck out like a sore thumb at night.

As for true HID kits. I've noticed alot of these kits on ebay as well and many of them seem poorly designed. Beware of these if you're looking to buy. I would stick with brand names only ie HELLA or Philips. Alot of these kits use universla bulbs with glued on adapters so they "fit" your car. These usually suck because they change the way the bulb is positioned in the housing, thus giving off the wrong beam pattern, thus not giving you the full amount of light reflection from your lamps. This could mean dim HIDs or very bright ones, blinding oncoming traffic ( and cops).

And yes I am planning on doing HIDs on my 240 someday. I'll be sure to documant and post!

Rebel those aren't the same at all. Those are a quality Hella conversion kit away from sealed beams. That would give you a lot more lighting power with a relay wired in as well, and is much more worth the money IMHO.

As for europe, I agree in Germany there were a few HID cars, but in my time in Italy, France, England and to some extent Denmark they were quite rare! I am just commenting on the buzz phrases "european design" "euro look" etc, which seem to get thrown around a lot as if they mean something special.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Hceline17

As someone who has been to Europe a half dozen times in the last 4 years I would have to say the frequency of seeing HID lamps on the highway is about the same there as in the US. The main difference being that I didn't see them on a lot of modified cars... on the other hand, I didn't see a lot of modified cars, or weren't sure if they were modified or not when I saw them because of unfamiliarity of car types, that aside, HID lamps were mostly on BMW's and Mercedes'... Didn't get to Germany btw.

k, great, my 2 cents...

Ok, so i stoped by wal-mart yesterday and what did they have... 7" sealed beam "sylvania Cool-Blue" halogen headlights.. plug right into the Z for 11 bucks a pop. notable clearer than my other halogens and "whiter" Just food for thought.

Also.. a while back when having headlight problems I rewired the whole headlight system from the plugs to the switch inside the car and the fusebox. I put in about an 8 gauge wire for power and removed the fusible links and installed proper fuses on a block. After doing all this my lights were MUCH brighter.

You guys mentioned installing a relay in the light circuit? How would this make my lights brighter? Would i still benefit from this modification?

Sorry for the lenghty post,

ED