HybridZ

The bad news-13.7....The good news 108.49MPH

Guest scottjuly79

Guest scottjuly79

Just got back from the track, you guys were right about the ACT clutch, it is a definate case of "bog or boil". With the MPH I posted I should be in the 12's if I can find a way to hook this thing up. I ran 13.5 PSI, once I install my Greddy E-manage I will pump it up to 15psi. I think my next upgrade will be drag radials.

I am very happy with my MPH. but the E.T. is a bit of an embarrasment (I thought predicting low 13's was playing it safe!) One thing is for sure, if I ever got really serious about drag racing this car I would ran an automatic. I had an Auto. in my 300TT and I ran a very uneventfull 13.043 at 107MPH.

As a side-note I went head to head against my buddies 70 240Z with triple carbs/2.8/E31 and the usual n/a mods. He spanked me running 13.5 at 99.3MPH with a 1.9 60ft. time. He is also running drag radials and 4.38 gears so he rockets out of the hole. I was very impressed with his time, especialy for a n/a car in 30 degree heat (that's celcius).

Well don't be to disappointed. I routinely put it on cars like C4 and C5 corvettes, and my first pass was a 14.1 at 101.

Drag radials help, I like mine. WHat is more important is good track prep, and running on days where the dew point isn't messing up the track.

Your mph are great, you need some traction. NA cars leave hard too. I used to launch mine from 5500 rpms up.

Well, I stayed out of your last post so I could see what would happen. The weight and the suspension setup make it tuff to get off the line. I haven't had much luck in the traction dept. Thats a nice mph and your right 12's shouldn't have been a proublem. I'm in the same boat you're in. Decent mph but, no starting line traction. I've installed a LSD and I'm hoping that will help atleast but, haven't had a chance to get back to the track yet. Keep at it and it will improve.

Yeah, as I posting in your other thread, I got another low 13 with a 110mph, best trap yet, but my clutch is what kept me out of the 12s this time. Instead of nursing it off the line, I gave it some RPMs and with the clutch fully disengaged, it slipped all the way through first and partly through second. 13.3 @ 110. :shock:

Guest bastaad525

To me your speed is definately more important than your time, it gives a much better indicator of how much power you're putting down and what your car is capable of. Time just says 'hey you launch good' or 'not getting enough traction off the line' It's more about how you drive than what the car can do. Very impressive speed and very impressive car dude!

Nice #'s Scott! Like you said, once you get that thing hooked, you'll be crushing into the 12's. Congrats. Any Video? Sleeper - Great #'s as well. 110mph! Sweeeeet. Wish i was where you guys are at with your Z's, performance-wise. Awesome.

Guest scottjuly79

What RPM do you launch at? do you have a posi diff? Those are some awesome 1/4 mile times! Any tips or secrets that you are wanting to share?

I dont really have a set RPM to launch. I rev it up and down while we're both staged, trying to spool the tubro, and try to be on an upward rev when the tree drops. I know, probably not the right way or will never be super consistant but, it works for me right now. It's only test/tune so it only starts the clock when i trip the beam. No posi. I just found out that i DO have a 3.54 rear (thought it was a 3.9 because of rpm-vs-mph) and then double-checked my tire height (215-50-15), which was suppose to be 23 1/2" but, as it turns out, they're only about 22" fully inflated. So when i run at the track at around 20psi, they're even shorter than that! That's why i'm going through the gears so fast and stretching 4th through the trap way behond (~6100rpm) the rpm level i should be at. Now trying to figure out which size tire/drag radial/slick i should get for the track, if i ever get back. I think it should help her spool off the line a little more. No secrets, just driving her as hard as i can, as you guys are. I can't wait to see your time once you hook. Very nice.

OK where is my present for getting the gearing right? :?::-D

I have found I have better success launching at a set rpm, and dumping the clutch. If you have a full weight flywheel, it helps get the car moving before the turbo spools, so you have a rolling start, and a better shot at traction.

All of my really good passes have been that way, when I slow down and run low 13.1's, my mph is still up around 113 so, but I try to slip the clutch to get a little boost, and way more tire spin. Try a 3000 or so clutch drop and see if that helps.

umm....ok Lock. Fly up from AL to NJ and you can have my Z :shock: ummmm..ok, maybe not :D Actually, i haven't 100% confirmed it is a 3.54 because i have yet to pull it but i did the DS counting method and compared it to the KNOWN 3.54 on the garage floor and it does read 3.54 AND...now that the tire height is so short, it all makes sense. Just haven't had the time between work and my damn boat acting up. It's always SOMETHING!!!! Actually, my traction off the line is great, i just dont think i've got enough get up and go without spool. My previous 10:1 N/A L28 loved to pull out of the hole like that with bottom end tourqe, dumpng the clutch, but i'd either spin or bog big with the L28ET. A taller tire is going to help. It would essentially be putting me back in the rartio i need for the T motor. Thanks.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I want to see how that E-manage is going to do on a factory ECM, you keep us in touch on that. I know what you mean with the ET. I got my ACT clutch to grip and lauch a OK short time for 7 inch wide street tires 1.9 but overboosted the car hard on second. It sill coasted a 13.61 at 86mph. But that wasnt the time slip I was looking at for sure. Keep it up man at least its not slow.

Guest scottjuly79

The Greddy E-manage by itself only allows you to adjust injector pulse width +/- 20% at 5 different RPM points. It's the software add-on package that really opens up your options. From my understanding you basically tap it into the ECM for the circuit that you want to manipulate, and voila!

For instance I will be running a 3 bar. MAP sensor instead of the restrictive factory AFM, and ditching the EGR valve, but I will reatain the factory idle system. It allows you to custom tune fuel and ignition curves by plugging the E-manage into a laptop. One really cool feature is that for the baseline settings you can program in your factory injector size and then punch in the size of injectors that you are currently running, and it automatically calulates a baseline setting.

The main selling point for me is that the basic unit sells for only $279 US and the software add-on I have seen for around $100 bucks. It seems almost to good to be true!

I will be converting my car to E-manage in mid-August, at the same time I will upgrade to a 240sx T.B., as well as tuning the car on the dyno. I will let you know how everything works out as soon as I get the conversion underway![/img]

Guest bastaad525

Jersey you're trippin you get out of the hole GREAT man!!! That's why I was thinking you coulda been right about having the 3.9's, that would have seemed to explain how you're just GONE when that light turns green. And you dont even seem to get any tire spin off the line, only the chirping as you shift gears..... that is amazing, I dont know if you could get it to do much better.

I don't know about E-management on factory AFM setup. Because there is no voltage signal. It gives resistance to the ECU unlike the MAF. I think when Greddy said airflow meter, it was talking about MAF rather than AFM. I guess you can convert it to MAP. But keep us updated.

Hey Jersey, money will be fine. :lol:

I haven't had an issue with bogging, but I do have the JWT conversion, so that helps. A full weight flywheel is what really helps launching without bogging, IMO.

I am going to have to swap to an act soon, so I guess I will find out what the deal is there too. Could be interesting. Unless I can con Clark into giving me a deal on something they have.

FWIW, I have 235/60r15 drag radials, and they are pretty tall, which is why I took the 3.54 gears out, and put in 3.90's. They hook up really nice though.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I know what the E-manage does but I have not seen anyone use it on a L6 harness. Just checking around now and I don't see our cars on the application guide, not even for the Z31. Hope it works out man good luck.

Guest bastaad525

So for a turbo you'd rather NOT have a lightened flywheel?? I took a stock flywheel and had it lightened down to about 16-18lbs, should I just swap it back out for a normal one?