HybridZ

240SX (60mm) ThrottleBody into 280ZX n/a?

Guest EnthuZiast

Guest EnthuZiast

Hi, I saw a 240SX TB on Ebay converted for use in the L28 and it sparked my interest.... All the stuff I read about when I did the search pointed to the fact that this is a mod only for turbos. I'm slighty out of my element, so give me the lowdown guys. Is it something I should consider doing? Also, I saw that Tim240Z had a supplier for spacers. Do you still, Tim?

Thanks Guys,

EnthuZiast

'79 280ZX n/a

The 240SX throttle body is good for any "modified" L28. It allows a less restricted flow, whether Turbo or naturally aspirated. You won't see much of an improvement, unless you combine it with a K&N style airfilter and header with low restriction exhaust at a minimum. The throttle body is just a part of the intake side restriction on the fuel injected L28s. You still have the to deal with the AFM as well.

I'm working on one now with a shaved p-79 head, Cam, dual exhaust with header, and a 280ZXT AFM.

Ed

Not hard. You need the spacer (JSK/Juan) if you are going to maintain the cold start valve. You need to change the cable connections on the throttle body to an arm with the ball linkage, like is the original for the 280Z. Look closely at some of the TBs advertised on ebay and you will get a good idea of the changes. As to improvement, unless you open up your intake starting with a low restriction filter and improve your exhaust, I doubt if there would be any significant improvement. All changes must be looked at as a total effort with regard to flow in and out of the engine. Think of it as a pump. Whatever you improve to allow more flow in has to be balance by the improvement in flow out. One must balance the other and the stock '78 280Z tail pipe to manifold header on my car is much more restrictive than the '75 or earlier Zs. Then again, the Weber Bigthroat was advertised for years as improving the L28 all by itself.

Good luck.