HybridZ

What are the problems with this?

Guest szlash280z

Guest szlash280z

I can't remember what the problems are with using the stock ZXT downpipe in an S30 other than the flow sucks, I can't find it in the archives. also, when everyone says get a "straight through" muffler I have no idea what they are talking about. I know jack about mufflers. can anyone help me with this?

The stock downpipe flow just sucks, that's all there is to it. No other reason - it works fine.

A straight-through muffler would be a non-chambered type, like a Dynomax (at least like the Ultraflow unit I am running). Mufflers that don't seem to work well with turbos (or at least don't flow and make lots of noise) are the flowmaster-types with chambers and no baffling instead of straight pipes with holes and baffling material inside.

Guest szlash280z

I remember someone saying that the stock ZXT exhaust pipe wont connect to the downpipe or something like that. I only have the downpipe and the pipe that connects to the CAT, but I don't have the cat or anything past that. I guess I just want it to connect well enough to do a few test runs and drive to the muffler shop to make a new exhaust system. I haven't put the turbo engine in the car yet.

so dynomax mufflers are good performing mufflers?

how well do 3" exhausts fit under S30 bodies?

Guest z1 performance

How bad could the flow possibly be...it is tremedously short.....

I am still using it on my car, and have yet to actually see the need to change it out

Adam

Guest szlash280z

is making a new downpipe a common type thing at a muffler shop? I don't think it would be, so what type of place could I go to get one made? what type and thickness of steel for the pipe? I could probably have one of our welders here at the hanger make it if I had some specs as they don't really have much time to do home project stuff like that.

Didn't one of you guys weld your own using the stock DP flange? How well did that hold up?

Sorry but, I don't have a real answer with Dyno quotes and all. I will tell you that I could tell a huge differnce in how long it took to spool the turbo and the pull of the car was much better. :shock: I use the same road each time to test the car so I know how the car should feel when I take it out to test parts. Very much worth the time, effort and money involved. I would recommend this for anyone and even more for someone with a modded car. :-D

On zcar I had seen a post that said someone dyno'd their car before and after Stock downpipe to madrel bent downpipe with 3 inch exhaust and showed 25hp gain. Don't ask me, thats just what the post said. And I re-read the post today so I know that was the number they claimed for the swap.

I need to get a t3 flange also so I can make my new downpipe. BTW, whats the downfalls of using mild steel for the downpipe and NOT having it ceramic coated? Since I saw that it should be coated in the new sticky turbo conversion post. I realize corrosion is probably the biggy.

I built my system and I was trying to market it through MSA but they said it was to expensive and they would not have the demand for the system.

I did before and after data on the car, it was stock and ran good. I dynoed the stock system, then I installed my system and it gained 20-25hp and 20-25 foot pounds of torque. I did list the dyno sheets on my web page at http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt.

I really wanted to sell the system because I knew it would sell, but I could not get any shop to buy a quantity of the complete system. The bender I used, and they are for the most part exclusive, would not one or two system at a time for me.

But in answer to your question, yes just changing out the stock system on a stock car will gain you a seat ofthe pants change no question about it. That should clear up your questions. :D

Are you talking a flange for the nissan housing, or just any T3? I can get a mild steel nissan one done in town, and it is not to expensive, they usually cut me two, and have my info on cad. You may have to tweek it a little with a grinder.

I started with a 3 inch mandrel system under my 1st turbo Z, and it made a huge difference. Every time I have added more 3 inch mandrel pipe, it has always been a worth while mod.

I have said this before and I will say it again, a 3 inch mandrel system is the best bang for the buck mod on a turbo datsun, in my opinion.

I would like to try 3 inch and transition into 3.5 just to see what happens.

Guest bastaad525

heheh so it's the best bang for the buck but man is it a lot of bucks!!! for people like me who dont have welders themselves.... Jeff you wanted like $300 for you're DP right? I dont see this type of thing being something you could get made at a muffler shop.... but then again now that I know that you can get just mandrel bent sections for reasonable price (someone mentioned $22 a pop for one short bent section) you could just bring your bends, flanges, and straight pipes to a shop to weld I guess... still would be pretty costly but not too bad I guess??

Guest z1 performance

If I get to the point where I change the turbo again, I'll get rid of it, but honestly, the stock unit has worked just fine for me to this point.

I have said this before and I will say it again, a 3 inch mandrel system is the best bang for the buck mod on a turbo datsun, in my opinion.

I agree wholeheartedly, especially if you running a lot of boost.

Here is my assessment from my L28ET webpage made back in late '99.

"The 3†exhaust, combined with the custom downpipe, gave me one of the biggest performance boost to date. If you do nothing else to your turboZ, this is the one to consider. "

I don't know what you consider expensive, but it is not that bad to build one, but it is time consuming.

The thing to consider though is this, no matter what else you do, the 3 inch exhaust is the foundation for building more power. Save your money, collect cans whatever, but you won't be disappointed with the results.

Also, find someone who has a welder, and suck up a little. I mean offer to cut their grass whatever. I just went and bought a $200 mig from HD, and I haven't welded anything since 8th grade shop, and I am 36 now, so you can do it.

Stainless might be pretty, but a rusty outside 3 inch pipe flows the same as a polished 3 inch stainless one. :lol:

Guest szlash280z

how much straight pipe do you need? can you just buy "X" feet of 3" pipe from a muffler shop? what's the cost of that? probably something I should just ask the muffler shop huh?

I noticed that every online mandrel bent pipe seller has bent pipes that are around 8" or more after the bend, so if I bought 2 45* bends would that be all I need other than the flange to make a downpipe (ie not have to weld an extra piece of pipe in between each bend)? are you guys using clamps to hold the downpipes to the exhaust pipe? or are you welding together a bolt flange for that?