HybridZ

280ZX turbo T5 - Unbreakable?

260DET

How strong are these gearboxes? Anyone broken one? What are the ratios? What is good and not so good about them?

My turbo engine is getting a bit much for the Nissan gearbox and we cannot readily get the world class box here in Ozland. So is the Z T5 a big step up from the Nissan Z box?

In my experience the T5 is alot stronger than the Nissan tranny. I broke 3 Nissan transmissions in the first few thousand miles I owned my z. I only broke one T5 in the next few thousand miles. :) The t5 I broke looks pretty bad off. Half the teeth on a couple of the gears are sheered off. I picked up 2 t5's for $300 including shipping so it's not a big loss. Bout to go automatic real soon....tired of breaking shit with the 5 spd.

JT

In my experience the T5 is alot stronger than the Nissan tranny. I broke 3 Nissan transmissions in the first few thousand miles I owned my z. I only broke one T5 in the next few thousand miles. :) The t5 I broke looks pretty bad off. Half the teeth on a couple of the gears are sheered off. I picked up 2 t5's for $300 including shipping so it's not a big loss. Bout to go automatic real soon....tired of breaking dodo with the 5 spd.

JT

How did you break one :?:

I've driven the dog out of mine and it's not the perfect shifting trans anymore but, it's not broke? Just curious. I'm I lucky?

WIth the T5 I was riding around street racing and it started making some noise. Kept running it and the noise got louder. The next day I took a friend for a ride down the road. On either the 3rd or 4th gear shift it broke. I almost didn't make it back home......the teeth from the gears were getting lodged in the tranny and locking it up. I am rough on drivetrain parts. :)

JT

260det: I was making about 340rwhp at the time. Probably put 3000 miles on it maybe which to me is a while.

Cody: CLutch is a 240mm Pro-grip clutch from TEP. Disc is a 6-puck. Tires are 245-40-18 Sumitomo HTRZ II and occasionaly 245-50-16 Nitto drag radials. BFG is now making 245-40-18 drag radials so I'm about to be all over that as soon as the car is on the road.

JT

JT,

DId you use an after market shifter that has positive shift stops? I think alot of the problems come from aggressively shifting a shifter without stops. Also, I'm curious, what auto trans are you going to use? I thought about using an auto but I won't use one that doesn't have an overdrive.

Joe

I had a hurst shifter in it for a while and now have a pro-5.0. I have a feeling the first T5 had a hard life. The bearings always made a little noise and the synchros were a little worn when I got it. The new one feels perfect and is quiet so maybe I won't break it before I get the auto. I will be putting a 3spd auto in the car. May hate it on trips but I think I will like it for some drag racing.

JT

I have had a steeda, hurst, and the pro-5.0 in the z and I like the pro-5.0 the best out of the 3. There isn't going to be alot of difference b/w any of the aftermarket shifters but I just like this one the best for some reason. You can usually pick up an aftermarket shifter for around 100-120. I will be selling mine in a couple of months when the auto goes in.

JT