HybridZ

Flowmaster?

Guest yTTyTee

Guest yTTyTee

I'm new to exhaust so I have a question that may or may not be stupid. I've been trying to figure out if a 40 series Flowmaster will fit a 76 280z, and if it have a similar sound compared to a flowmaster installed on say an old Chevy muscle car. This is the sound I'm trying to get, I recently went to a muscle car show and after hearing the sounds coming from those beautiful Chevy v8s, I wanted Z sound like that too. Its that nice deep throaty poppy sound at low rpms that I like. I don't necessarily like it to be too loud when I'm driving on the freeway but don't mind the resonation too much. If it is possible, is it an easy job to do, can I do it myself or will I need to get a professional to do it? Also is it gunna kill my wallet to get it installed professionaly?

Guest yTTyTee

Well it sounds like I won't get that muscle car sound that I want, but I do want the performance of the flowmaster. However the sound I don't want to get is that coffee can sound you hear from a lot of imports today. I would rather not have the performance from the flowmaster if thats the sound I'm going to get. It's that high pitched whine at high rpms that I hate. Will I get this anoying sound with a 40 series flowmaster on a 280z stock engine?

it wont sound like a honda....1800-2100 rpm range resonates a bit and that can be annoying.....when you accelerate....it sounds like one pissed off sports car. Another thing....its loud....crazy loud....its cool at first but driving at night i usually drive slow just so i dont wake up the neighbors.

Sean

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

If you are looking for a similar sound and similar performance without the volume I would recommend FloTech. It's the brand that Kragen's etc. sell. I prefer the sound from them so much more. (I have a 350 in my 65 GMC truck and the sound is perfect). The biggest thing you are looking for to avoid sounding like newer cars is the mufflers such as flowmaster which are designed to produce a certain sound from any engine (they basically cancel out any sound that is not in the range that they are trying to produce). The FloTech's are a great hi-flow muffler without the sound-sculpting crap.

Guest cbrunberg

I have a Raptor or Terminator or something like that. I bought it from Kragen and it's located at the back of the car. I have dual 3 inch into a single 3 inch (just before the diff.) and I get comments that my SBC sounds like a six cyl. I need to finish it as a dual exhuast to get the sound and performance I want. I wonder if dual exhuast on your six would give you a better result?

Carl

I had a 2-1/2" in 2-1/2" out Flowtech Afterburner. I know, cool name, eh? It sounded sort of mean at idle, but it just wouldn't flow up top. And it resonated badly around 2500 rpm. But I have a turbo car that puts down a fair amount of hp, so no surprise that it dind't flow. Personally I got real tired of the chambered muffler - I prefer the Dynomax, sounds just as mean without the resonance, and flows much better.

Guest yTTyTee

I can't seem to find where to get info on Kragen anywhere online? Anyone know where to look? Also would anyone not recomend dynomax over Kragen or visa versa? I'm really new to exhaust so its hard for me to tell what is good and what isn't by just looking at specs.

Guest yTTyTee

Ok, I found the sound that I really like on a performace muffler. Its nice and deep, yet not very loud. Here is the sound byte.

Ultra Flo Stainless Kit #19311

http://www.dynomax.com/audio/track03.wav :D

This is on a V8 Mustang but sounds similar on a honda 4 banger, so I doubt the Z will be much different.

Do you think this muffler would be a good choice for the Z? Also can this be installed on a Z with out much trouble?

Guest yTTyTee

I really like the sound of that muffler. If I decide to go with it, do I need anything else to install the muffler on the Z, or does it just bolt right on? :?: Like I said, I'm really new to exhaust. :-D

The newer cars have "bolt-on" exhaust systems. On a Z, there are so many variables you can't buy a bolt-on system. That muffler is 3" in, 3" out. You have to mess with exhaust hangers to locate in the right spot, as well as get 3" piping from the turbo back.

I built my system myself, with 1 custom welded piece. Everything else "bolted" on after many cuttings and trial fittings. I used band style clamps to hold the pieces together, and it dis-assembles fairly well.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
and I get comments that my SBC sounds like a six cyl.

Carl

I have heard that this type of result would most likely be dependent upon your header/exhaust manifold setup.

• 2 months later...
Guest midnitz

I have a 6 into 1 header, glasspack resonator, into 40 series 2 chamber flowmaster @ 2.5 inch exhaust.

Rumbles but it too loud... reduce the diamter before transition under rear end....to 2.25 inches and run 2.25 inch 2 chamber for decreased resonance.....

THis is what plan on

i have the midpriced flowmaster muffler on my car. when we got the car started before we changed the headgasket it sounded GOOD. nice and deep but not loud or buzzing like those ricey exhausts. i have had a chance to hear what its like at full throttle but it sounds good to me.