HybridZ

The Damper is in!

jeffp

I received the finished product today from BHJ. The Damper looks sooooooo sweeeeeeeet! This part will put an end to the damper issue associated with the high RPM L series engines. I am taking pictures of the part for the NEXT SportZ issue, so if you want a picture of the part and the specifications of the part you will find them in SportZ magazine.

I will tell you one thing tho the part is sweeeeeeeeeeet! :D

Mine is shipping on Friday - there was a delay due to the incorporation of the 60-2 tooth trigger wheel for the TEC. Don't have pics yet.

Mine is a two groove pulley, btw. I don't know if they have assigned a part number yet.

Don't have the part yet! I had called and left told them to call me when they were ready for shipping. I've got to wait till the end of August till I can get mine. My 5th year Anniversery is in 3 weeks. Can't be spending all my cash on the car this month :lol: The wife would kill me!

Mine is shipping on Friday - there was a delay due to the incorporation of the 60-2 tooth trigger wheel for the TEC. Don't have pics yet.

Mine is a two groove pulley' date=' btw. I don't know if they have assigned a part number yet.[/quote']

Great Tim! I'll let you get yours all installed and working, then you can send me pics and all your notes so I don't have to do any thinking...icon_crazyjump.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest torynich

The "damper" is the pulley on the front of the crankshaft. In simple terms, it has rubber in it and it absorbs (dampens) the harmonics in the crankshaft.

Tory

Give Brian a call at (510) 797-6780 He has the pricing on the part and can tell you all of the options you can get. You will want the part with three pulleys, the third pulley is bolt on for the power steering. :D

Hi everyone, I called Brian today and got a cost breakdown on the damper and the various bolt on options for the part.

1) two belt damper(with front face plate) 362.44 plus tax and shipping.

2) damper with third pulley (for power steering) 487.44 plus tax and shipping.

3) Damper trigger wheel (only the wheel) 124.94 plus tax and shipping. They make the trigger wheel to the specs of the management system.

Now the damper can be configured for three pullies (for power steering on the ZX cars) and the trigger wheel that the various after market fuel management systems require. Note however, that because of the added 1/8" thickness of the trigger wheel, you will have to slot the power steering pump mounting holes so that you can move the pump 1/8" forward. Not to hard to do. Also you will have to shim the idler pulley out 1/8" as well so that it is aligned correctly. REMEMBER, This is ONLY for the cars that want a trigger wheel and the power steering pump pulley. All other cases need not be concerned.

Now, Nissan in their infinate wisdom made two size belts for the A/C compressor. The cars 71-79(yes the first year ZX) came with a 22360 belt, its like 11/16 wide. 80-83 cars have a 17360 belt or 1/2" wide. So there will be an additional part number for the smaller belt for the later 80-83 ZX cars.

When Brian and I were discussing the damper, I did not know they did two different belt sizes, he built the wider belt configuration on the damper. When I installed the Damper the belt would not work for my A/C pump. So we have been on the phone sorting out the best way to handle the situation, and it was decided to come up with an additional part number.

Myself, I got a 79 compressor which is a hitachi MJ-167 compressor with the wider pulley, the idler pulley. The compressor on my car stock also has a Hitachi MJ-167 compressor. So what I did is swap out the idler pulley(and you need the shaft it mounts to as well, as it is longer then the stock one for the car because the idler pulley is wider) and I was able to swap out the compressor clutch and magnet (both are required as an assembly) installed the older pulley and everything is just great, a direct replacement with NO modifications required, even to the A/C clutch wire is correct for my harness. Not the easiest way to fix the problem, but I was not going to take the damper off the car. I waited to long for the thing.

The older pulley has a bigger pulley diameter then the one I took off the car, so the pump is going to spin slower then it did. I dont think it will be much of a problem, but it may make the A/C less cool at idle, but that is a remote chance. But what that has done for me is enable me to spin the engine at a higher rpm with the A/C on and not worry about munching the compressor because it is spinning at 7K rpm. No big deal, just thought I would mention it.

Anyway, that is about it for this upgrade, and believe me it is worth every penny to stop the damper elastimer seperation that happens to the stock parts. You will be able to get a very good picture of the damper in the next issue of SportZ as I have sent in the pictures and information on the part so that it could get the best visability for the market place.

anyway. :D