HybridZ

PROBLEMS WITH CENTERFORCE DF

280z-racer

i bought the 225mm centerforce dual friction clutch and installed it on my nearly stock 280z. now i cannot get the car to go into gear as the clutch will not disengage. the stock clutch had no probs except it was tore up. i have replaced the slave cylinder and bled the system and im still stuck...any advice?? please help!!!

Guest 240hybrid

You might have to adjust the pushrod in the clutch MC. I just recieved my ACT and was reading a few things in the flyer that came with the clutch. It states that the pushrod in the clutch MC may have to be adjusted further out as the clutch requires more force to disengage than the stock unit . The higher required force will make the slave cylinder hose expand more than usual also. A SS braided clutch hose might be a good idea to keep hose expansion to a minimum. Good luck

Chase

• 2 weeks later...

I got the 240mm clutch and it also would not disengauge when I first tried it, but then it started working. I did not think to much about it at the time, but when I took the clutch off the car I found out why it would not disengauge the first times I tried it.

Seems the clutch hub for the springs were hitting the flywheel bolts just on the top about .075 and the hub cleared the bolts by tearing the top step of the bolt off where it was hitting.

I would not recommend a CF clutch to anyone. Not only did I have this problem with the unit, but it wore out very quickly, and in fact it would only hold 380 foot pounds of torque on the dyno.

There are better clutches out there for about the same money, and you will not have the problems the CF part has given you.

Have you watched the slave move while someone stepped on the pedal?

I blew my clutch slave almost instantly after going to the ACT. Who knows how long it was in there before the switch, but it let go after about 30 shifts with the new pressure plate.

I've also seen the throwout fork split where the pin engages it. Could be either of those problems on your car.

Jon