HybridZ

Tire size... and wobble

Just installed Ross C.'s honda adapters with some 17's up front. i have 205/40/17 on the front. First question... there is a wobble that is at it's worst about 45-50 mph... normall i would think the rims not balanced.. but they came balanced from the shop and you can see whe weights on the inside... at about 70mph.. the wobble is gone and is very smooth... so did i not clean my OEM hub good enough? Thus causing the spacer to be off center? or should i take the rims back to get re-balanced.

Second ?

has anybody put a 235/40/17 on before? if so.. does the tire bulge? or fit nicely?

-Ed

I doubt the wheels are out of balance if they're recently mounted. You might try tightening the steering rack at the bushings. I've seen trouble shooting threads for this, but can't remember if it was here or another z site. It's common on 1st gen Z's.

How tight did you bolt the spacers down, they may be vibrating a tad bit.

40 Series tires usually vibrate a lot due to the short sidewall, you can hear a lot more road and they will exagerate any loose or worn suspension components, especially in the front.

When you say the wheels are balanced because you can see the weights on the inside, are they tape weight or just the hammmered on type on the edge of the rim?

If they are only outside balanced with weights thats the worst way to balance, you don't obviously want weights on the outside but they can be balanced and tape weights can be used in the inner inside side of rim.

I had wheels that were supposed to be balanced and my car shook bad. I took the car to NTB and they rebalanced with tape weight and my shaking went away.

By the way I am no expert on balancing that's just what the NTB rep told me.

Mike

Vibration that is linked to vehicle speed is almost always dynamic imbalance of the wheel. Try swapping front to back, or just take the wheels in to be rebalanced. Have them spin the wheels before removing the weights to confirm imbalance so that you know. (Usually they will strip off all the weights prior to putting the wheel on the machine).

Tim

I guess i'll just go down to Discount Tire Co. or NTB and pay for a life time balance.

I can't "switch" sides because i have bigger tires in the rear... and the treads are directional.

Well if it IS suspension it should go away when i get my new control arms and TC rods.

The only decent way to balance a tire is with a dynamic balancer IMO. When you balance dynamically, you have weights on the inside and outside of the rim (when they are needed). Sometimes on rims with no lip on the outside they will use stick on weights as opposed to hammer on weights. I prefer the hammer on style, but I don't think that there is really too much of a difference in practical terms, as long as the double sided tape is strong enough to hold on the stick on kind.

If you don't have weights on the inside and outside, take them back to the tire store and have them do it again.

Weights on one side of the rim only is a static balance. I had a guy who OWNED a tire shop argue with me that since his machine was a "Dynamic Balancer 4000" or whatever that the tires were dynamically balanced even though he only put weights on the inside of the rim. Of course I was there because of a vibration. A little shouting later and he rebalanced the wheels, and surprise, no more vibration.

BTW-I had a set of 1/4 wheel spacers (not the bolt on kind like you have) where the center hole was about .010 too small, so even though it looked like the spacers sat flat against the hub, they didn't. They were just barely off the hub, sitting on the cone shaped pilot. I dealt with the vibration for a long time, until finally one of the spacers cracked and I replaced it. When I put the new smaller diameter one on, it lined up really close to the edge of the hub and I was able to see that it was not flush, and then was able to figure out what the heck was going on.

Jon