HybridZ

TPI

hey, i just bought a 1990 TPI MOTOR.

it's a 305 from a pontiac ecu wiring harness and even alternater for $500

i'm almost 100% sure that 305 tpi and 350 tpi is the same????

cuz i'm hoping this 305 motor i just bought had big valve heads so i can use a 4 bolt 350 block i have.

The only 350 that has smaller valves than a 305 would be from a heavy duty truck. One that uses thicker valve stems in order to better shed heat into the guides. Most "late model" small blocks have 1.95/1.50 valves. And that is all that will fit on a 305s smaller bore. The 305 heads will have 58cc chambers which is worth about 2/3 a point of compression on a 350. As noted, the 305 uses smaller injectors than the 350. The ECM should be the same, but the eprom will be different.

Ive driven a stock 350tpi with 305 harness and inj in a Iroc.

Same thing as far as I could feel. Torque comes at really low Rpm,

then stops pulling at like 4k, geez maybe earlier?? Ive driven 350 tpi before, a roller cam year even, man Same feeling. Its not the engine, its the efi setup-in terms of Cfm it equals and functions like a 2 barrell.

I like these engines for swaps into a Z, the donor IROC or firebirds with tpi always have an OD trans, can run 87 all day long, fuel injection, and OK power in the smaller chassis.

I also dig the salt and pepper sound of a TPI engine.