HybridZ

Mega Squirt'n Spark L28et

mobythevan

Ok, so some of the spinoff MegaSquirt(MS) guys now have merged code to support EFI and spark control on the same MS board. It looks like you have to give up fast idle control to free up an output, but then you can use that output to control an MSD box. This looks like it will work good for the L28et engine swaps and subsequent upgrades to larger injectors, turbos, etc. Is anyone else thinking about using the Mega Squirt'n Spark code for their turbo car? Now that Mudge and Tim240z have sold their turbo cars, it doesn't seem like anyone else is interested in the MS stuff. At first with the old MegaSpark it seemed like you had to build two MS boards, one for EFI, the other for spark. Doubling the price didn't thrill me much, but the newer merged code looks good keeping the price to one board, at the exspense of losing fast idle control(I can deal with that).

The "real" MS guys are also working on a new version of the hardware to support spark control, wideband O2, and EFI control. This one is termed the Ultra Mega Squirt. It doesn't look like that one will be available until the end of the year or possibly next year. And then it will be new hardware so will go through some length of debugging by the first users. I think I'll stick with the older MS that has been used by many people until the new one is pounded out better.

I have intended to MS my turbo 240 since early summer, but wanted to wait until it was running correctly in stock form and all of my other functional upgrades were complete. That time is rapidly approaching. My plan today is that I will drive the car in stock condition until the weather starts to get bad, then start the switch over the MS'nS. Right now the car runs great, so I will atleast have a baseline before the switch.

I believe the first stage of the switch will just get the car running on MS'nS with stock pump, injectors, fpr. Then if I have success to actually upgrade all of those components. More updates to follow.

Hey, I'm still interested in the MS'N'S. There are some problems that I've been kind off half heartedly been trying to figure out.

1. You need a signal 50 deg btdc to go high and then go low 5 degrees btdc. I have not checked yet to see when the signal from the cas changes. I have some scope shots of the signal if you're interested I can send them over.

2. You'll have to use some type of ignition module as the MS'N'S code doesn't provide for dwell. A few of the guys have been using gm hei modules to achieve this. I don't know enough about these units to know how they will fit into our systems.

I believe one of the guys on the list has a version 1 board working. This is the board I have. I'm growing weary of fooling around with the z31 ecu after blowing one headgasket I'm beginning to appreciate the job JWT does a lot more. (Picture moi eating crow). :oops: Perhaps I can put my test bench to some use.......

Bernard

Hey,

I am building my MS, right now, and I've done everything except the output circuit. I have been reading through the MSS stuff, and will definitely be up for trying it out when I have my turbo motor built. Until then my plans were to run MS on my NA L28 engine. Looking forward to your updates, are you going to use MSD?

I plan to use an MSD 6AL box so I won't worry about the GM HEI. I am not worried about the CAS signal either, because I can design some interface logic to condition the signal or add my own encoder wheel to pick up a signal that is timed correctly. I'll let you guys know what is happening, like I said I won't start into this until the weather starts getting bad. The car is running good right now so I want to drive it a little before winter. I'm glad to see there are a few people still interested in doing this, always helps to bounce ideas off someone else.

Guest bastaad525

After talking with Tim240z I'm also very interested in building one of these for my car. It's always been the plan to go with an aftermarket programmable unit, and you can't beat the price on the MS :)

And for reference to anyone looking into MegaSquirt

MegaSquirt main website

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

MegaSquirt FAQ, a must read

http://members.shaw.ca/megasquirt/MS%20FAQ.htm

What is Ultra MegaSquirt?

http://members.shaw.ca/megasquirt/UMS.htm

MegaSquirt user group

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/megasquirt/

MegaSquirt'nSpark user group

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/megasquirtnspark/

I'm just finishing off 2 MS Ver 2 boards as well.

One is going into my N/A 240z (with L28 F.I. motor and 280zx dizzy) and the other will go into my uncles 240z (soon to be L28 Turbo motor).

My uncles car currently has the Crane XR3000 ignition box and I wanted to use the MS to control the fuel and the crane box to control spark.

Will the Crane box work on the turbo setup :?:

Guest Want aZ

Ok, Ive got a question for the MS Guru's out there. I was looking at the build sheet, dont see any problems with assembly. Do have a degree in electronics, just havent used it in over 20 years, and they are definately perishable skills. Anyway, Here are my Questions---

1. Where do you obtain the stimulator to test everything with?

2. Is this included in the kit?

3. How difficult is it to set up and program?

4. Where the hell do you purchase the kit and how much is it???

Just some questions.

Damon

Stimulater is a seperate buy, and build item.

http://members.shaw.ca/megasquirt/stimbom.htm

Group buy page..

http://www.bgsoflex.com/mspo1.html

The Megasquirt is fairly easy to build, the instructions on the website is very complete with tests after each stage of the build. I've got no experience in electronics and was able to build it on one saturday.

Look at the links 3 posts up.

You order the two boards and processor from Al Grippo.

Then you order the other parts from DigiKey. There is a java order form that will automatically fill out the DigiKey orderform for you. It ends up being 3 different order forms (unless I did something wrong), so I emailed DigiKey and asked them to combine those orders for shipping.

Be advised that there are a few things that are not included in the DigiKey order (they don't carry certain things). One of the potentiometers, and the screws etc. just read down to the bottom of the order page.

I put mine together and I have had zero experience with this type of stuff. I did have to send it to one of our members (280Zen) to trouble shoot though 'cause it wasn't working right. I think there was a couple of solder spots that were touching or something?

Tim

Yes I did! Thanks! But why did you double box again? I put the smaller box with postage inside to make your life easier....no big deal, just curious.

Also, you didn't include the battery connector....also no big deal, I hijacked one from one of my son's toys! :D:D

Tim

Guest Want aZ

Thanks for the timely reply guys, YOU ROCK, So what is the bottom line price wise. Ive looked at their stuff in yahoo, but was a little leary, I think they asked for cash, instead of money order. Cant remember for sure though. Can any one either confirm or deny this?

Damon