HybridZ

Differential Mount

EvilRufusKay

Hi Guys,

I need to replace my Diff mount and was wondering if anyone has used the solid MSA mount for street use. Also when I looked underneath I saw what seems to be a rubber strap looped thru two bolts right above the Diff. I was wondering if this was stock or some sort of Quick Fix someone might have tried instead of replacing the mount. Thanks!

no, that strap is origional. i haven't use the solid diff mount but i think it would be too harsh for me. the route i am currently going is this one http://240z.jeromio.com/diffmount.html

i like this approach because it not only gets rid of the stock diff mount and strap but it also retains some isolation between the diff and frame.

I see lots of guys doing different things to keep the mount working. I was wondering why more guys just don't do the cable wrap like the JTR manual suggests. You get to keep the stock mount that dampens the vibrations, but the strength to keep it from ripping from the steel cable. Doesn't that work. :?: I am trying that for my car, but it is still on stands right now. :roll:

Most find that the cable loosens and then the mount rips.

I am using a Ron Tyler designed and built mount. He no longer makes them, but full plans for this easy, over the diff mount with isolation are on his site. The pics on his site are actually the unit installed in my Z.

This mount lowers the front of the diff to less than 1/2" off the stock crossmember (without the lower stock mount installed) and helps with driveline U-joint angles. Since the mount is in compression, it won't tear, except on decelleration. The stock GM tranny mount as shown on Ron's site tore quickly, so I replaced it with a Urethane aftermarket GM tranny mount.

Ron's Site:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~rontyler/diffmount.html

Mine:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pparaska/drivelinemods.htm#Differential_Front_Mount

Consider the effect of having a solid front diff mount in combination with a flexible rear mount. :twisted:

That is why I dont recommend them for any street car, unless its like Terry Oxandale where he has no bushings. I went solid rear with new bushings in the mustache bar, and proceeded to crack the sucker in two, and rip the xmember, and shear driveshaft bolts in the process.