HybridZ

Advice on heads needed

Brought my heads to the shop to be rebuilt and I find out one of them is cracked. Should I do the core exchange for another head or does it make more sense to just go buy a new set of heads.

What are the best flowing cast iron heads? Besides weight are there any other advantages going with aluminum heads? The heads will be going on a 327.

Another option is to just buy a crate motor. What do you think?

If you want to stay cheap and cast iron the chevy Vortec heads are the best 'bang for the buck'.

Just do yourself a fovour and get the uprated valve springs when you order them otherwise you will be limited on cam selection. Still less than $600 for the pair.

Tim

http://www.midwestmotorsportsinc.com/

Cylinder Head Dart Iron Eagle Completely Assembled Info WRL 0530301 849.99 Pair

the 215cc size works well for high performance useage.

now heres the vortecs

http://Parts@sallee-chevrolet.com/Cylinder_Heads/Vortec.html

which will also work but keep in mind they also require new valve covers,rockers,intake manifold and machine work which will put the cost at or higher than the iron eagles which are true bolt-on and go heads

now aluminum heads are lighter, much easier to repair,less prone to detonation problems andallow you to run slightly more compression, overall they tend to be a slightly better deal but of course the tend to cost slightly more too.

SUMMIT RACING has these heads available

TFS-30410001 Cylinder Head (1) 23 Degree 1.25`` Spring Pre-1987 327 / 350 / 400 $450.00 X2=$900 for a set

which will also work but keep in mind they also require new valve covers,rockers,intake manifold and machine work which will put the cost at or higher than the iron eagles which are true bolt-on and go heads

Good point Grump. I always forget about the inlet manifold because I had to buy a new one anyway when I did my truck motor, so I don't associate it with the heads as a package purchase. If you aren't in need of the manifold. then the iron eagles are definitely the way to go.

BTW. My machine shop gave me a set of valve covers for the centerbolt Vortecs for 10 bucks, they were brand new.

Tim

Before purchasing any cyl.head; you need to keep in mind what your goals are for both your engine and your car.

Is this your daily driver or will it be a weekend warrior: or somewhere in between? As the Grumpster said, those 215's are for a true performance engine and are border line "almost too big for the street SBC"; unless you really like a "peaky" engine. 215's would definately have an effect on Dynamic Compression and would require a Cam and Static Comp. to compliment them.

So, we know your engine is a 327; what Static Comp. were you thinking about and what kind of cam were you wanting? Are you using Stock Pistons? Once you've answered the [Purpose] of your car question as well as the [static Comp.] question; then you can decide on a pair of cyl.heads.

BTW: Alluminum heads will usually allow you to bump the compression up one full notch over a cast iron cyl.head. In other words; if a pair of iron heads suggested no more than 9.5:1 then a pair of Alluminum Heads will usually alow you to run 10.5:1 (but that is pushing the detonation limit in reference to pump gas & noticed I said USUALLY).

Depending on the budget, its definately something to think about.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

I need the car to be streetable since I will be driving it daily. I didn't want to mess with any of the internals since I need the car to be running soon. I have no idea what cam or pistons I have since I bought the car as is and the previous owner bought it from a tow company. Would there be any noticable power difference if I went from my camel hump heads to dart iron eagles? Do I have to change my pushrods also?

As far as pushrods, you shouldn't, but it should be checked. If you have a stock motor, you probably won't gain any power or lose any, really. One of the mag rags did a test and their conclusion was, gee, it's not the ports and valves that really kill low speed throttl response, but the monster cam that usually goes with them. I think the 215s would be fine and is what I would spend my $ on as far as iron heads go.

Guest jwelch

Dale;

I have a good set of SMB chevy heads. Casting number 462624 which are 62cc/1.94/1.50. I bought a new set of Vortec heads so I won't need these. I had them pressure checked and magnafluxed 3 months ago while I was down sizing the cam in my Z. I'll take 100.00 for both plus shipping from AZ 85032. 2thumbs.gif

Regards,