HybridZ

What distributors work on F54 block?

Mudge

I notice the older distributor has the old timer plastic gear that runs off the cam, where the ZXT (which I currently have) has no such thing.

So my question is to go to an NA setup (the head was shaved so it has more compression than stock), can I use any old distributor and figure out how to get it to work or do I need to camp out until I can find a 280ZX distributor?

The dizzy and oil pump are driven off the crank, via long shaft that sits diagonally inside the timing cover. Use a 280ZX dizzy and you'll get EI with the 6 trigger stator and reluctor wheels, which is more accurate than the earlier EI from what I've been told. You can use the stock module that sits on the side of the distributor itself, or you can run it with MSD.

If you get one from a JY, take a look at this:

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~jrdemers/280ZX/distributor/distributor.html

Great info there!

Jon

Dropping the oil pump giving my laziness these days would suck, but it could be done I spose, and it would mean trying to find one from a regular Z which may not be fun/easy, plus time consuming.

I will try to find a ZX one on the boards, eBay is dry right now.

Did you check it to make sure it is a turbo shaft? Seems like that is your issue right?

If I understand correctly, the f54 block was used in both turbo and non turbo, anyone disagree?

You also need to be aware to swap the dizzy mounting deal, it is different from ZX to a Z, and your timing will stump you if you don't.

Correct, correct and correct...the F54 block was used from '80-'83 in both turbo and non-turbo Z cars. The turbo had dished pistons and a P90 or P90a head whereas the non-turbo had flat-top pistons and a P79 head. Both the turbo and non-turbos were FI but can be converted to NA.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you check it to make sure it is a turbo shaft? Seems like that is your issue right?

This was a turbo engine, so yep - I see the point about the shaft now because the 280Z distributor shaft is much longer than the ZXT.

Does the ZX distributor plug right in? I am having a beach of a time finding one without spending $75 though.

there are some differents between A 81 to 82 280zx distributor shaft,

from 82 to 83 the distributor shaft in the 280zxt had A torx like setup

with thes lot in it , verse the 81 And down in yr had the shaft like the

regular regular z distributors that had only A lot in the shaft,

so make it is not the later distributor with the torx like input,

or else you will have to find A distributor shaft with this torx like input

on it, this was in the 280zxt that had the crank trigger dial right inside

the distributor its self, on the earlier model turbo cars the crank

trigger was on the outside by the crankshaft.

Just look in the bottom of the distributor. You will either see a slot or what looks like a star shape. If you look at the dizzy/oilpump shaft through the distributor mount and the end of the shaft matches what you see in the bottom of the distributor you want to install then it's a bolt on. 82/83 has the star, anything older has the slot. Also, if your going from an older distributor to a newer one, your going to have to remove the bolted on extender housing from the front cover as the newer distributors are physically longer than the old ones.

Joe

The idea is to put an NA ZX distributor on, if and when I can find one for under a million bucks.

the newer distributors are physically longer than the old ones.

Is this correct? The older distributors I have seen are SIGNIFICANTLY longer in the shaft than my 82 turbo dis was.