HybridZ

Almost about ready to drop a 2JZ in my 77.....

tyson

Well fairly soon here I'll have my 5 speed 2jZ motor ready to be dropped into place on my 280z.

Just wondering if anyone here knows anything about the swap....I know I'm going to have a bunch of custom work ahead of me...Custom header is going to be almost a definate along with all kinds of other fabrication.

Does anyone know of any other clearance problems related to the 2JZ swap, like if I will have to hammer out the tranny tunnel at all, or grind parts of the tranny down....

Nothing should interfere with the steering system right?

Heh....You guys dont even know what kind of money pit I got myself into...Ok, well a lot of you do know!

Also, does anyone know of any pictures in existance of a 2jZ Z?

Thanks....I'll get pics when my engine bay has a Toyota motor in it instead of no motor at all =)

Oh dont worry, there will be pictures.

Originally this was going to be a SBC project, but my fabricator owns a 9.5 second 2jZ truck (Completely stock junkyard motor...stock headgasket even!!!) with over 650 WHP.....The only real mods he has is a header, a huge turbo, SDS & a NPR intercooler.

I listed to him preach and said "WTF....I can spend $5k on a 450 horse v8, where if it blows I'm out $5k.....If I get a 2jz out of a junkyard for $500, all my add ons are external, so when engine failure happens, it will not destroy the major $ parts of the car".

Current 2jz record on a stock bottom end is over 930 horsepower....Its very common to have a reliable daily driver 2jz with 600 horsepower.

Right now i'm shooting for around 450-500 flywheel.....I need to see how bad i'm going to rip up the rear end with the 5 speed, and if I want to tub it out and go full drag, or make it so I can do roadraces also.

Guest Zachb55

wow, sounds like an awesome project, and one that i am very interested in doing once im through college maybe, and i have an automotive engineering degree on my wall. Then i should be able to handle something like this, but im glad that by then ther will be at least one person who has done this, i sure cant wait to check out the pics and read the write-ups, we'll have to get in contact some time so we can chat about the swap. i am very serious about doing it and all the info i can get at the beggining the better, just like your trying to do right now... i know there was a Z car on ebay about a year ago that was tagged the "Zupra" and it had a 2JZ swapped into it. now i cannot remember if it was turboed or not, and what tranny it was running, but i would suspect the 5 speed or the auto... well good luck to you on your search, ill see if i can find those pics of that Z, you should go out and buy a nice notebook to start writing everything you do from now until you fire that engine up, because it would be godly to some people on this board, like me :wink:

-Zach

The NA lower end is just as bullet proof as the turbo lower end.

My friend has run 9s on the N/A lower end, and yet for some reason people still pay out the ass for the turbo one.

He got his current engine for $350

Tyson, that sounds awesome. The 2JZ is my fantasy swap, so get used to me living vicariously through you. ;):twisted:

The only other 2JZ swap in a Z I've heard of was a car that sold on eBay last year sometime. Looked like it fit OK, especially since the intake is on the steering side of a LHD car; you just might have to play with exhaust manifolds. I believe the eBay car had a single turbo.

Sorry to ask the stupid question' date=' but what is a 2JZ?[/quote']

I think thats the MK4 Supra 3.0 I6.

Correct....a 3 litre straight 6 from a Toyota Supra..

The motor in stock form is so built up, you could bring it to an engine expert and they would think you brought them a $10,000 custom race crate motor

MKIII guys swap 1JZ's and 2JZ's 's in place of there 7M's so I would think the are about the same as size and mounting locations go. I know the N/A 2JZ uses a W58 trans, I don't if you plan to use this or the R154. I just put a 7M in my 73' with the R154 and it is TIGHT in the trans tunnel, I should have cut out the stock mounts that run up the tunnel comletely but didn't. I had to weld plate to the body further back to hang the new mounts. I know this is a 7m but the trans mount location will probably be about the same, just a heads up. Also when you get you get your D shaft made they have serviceable rear flanges for the later R200's like the LSD. You might want to spend the extra $40 if you are planning big HP.

Guest 240Zduz10s

clifton..

do you have any pics of your 7m swap? Would you share any knowledge you have about swapping a supra motor in a Z .. i would be very greatful..

-Justin

clifton..

do you have any pics of your 7m swap? Would you share any knowledge you have about swapping a supra motor in a Z .. i would be very greatful..

-Justin

I'm almost done with it. Just started it last night for the first time, but still need to finish alot of little things. I will start a new topic in a couple days when it's complete.

• 2 weeks later...
I listed to him preach and said "WTF....I can spend $5k on a 450 horse v8, where if it blows I'm out $5k.....If I get a 2jz out of a junkyard for $500, all my add ons are external, so when[/i'] engine failure happens, it will not destroy the major $ parts of the car".

$500 for a 2jz? Not a chance. More like $2-3000 or more. There were not that many TT supra's made and not that many engines are in the JY and they are a high demand item. The short block is just under $2000 from toyota. That doesn't include all the manifolds, etc..

If a 2jz blows in your car, you will likely be out a few thousand dollars.

Please don't kid yourself on the cost of a project like this......

I have preached it many, many times. What applies to the RB26 swap also applies to the 2jz swap in many ways. The cost is just slightly less than the RB swap do to more availability of the 2jz in the US.

-Bob

I listed to him preach and said "WTF....I can spend $5k on a 450 horse v8' date=' where if it blows I'm out $5k.....If I get a 2jz out of a junkyard for $500, all my add ons are external, so [i']when[/i'] engine failure happens, it will not destroy the major $ parts of the car".

$500 for a 2jz? Not a chance. More like $2-3000 or more. There were not that many TT supra's made and not that many engines are in the JY and they are a high demand item. The short block is just under $2000 from toyota. That doesn't include all the manifolds, etc..

If a 2jz blows in your car, you will likely be out a few thousand dollars.

Please don't kid yourself on the cost of a project like this......

I have preached it many, many times. What applies to the RB26 swap also applies to the 2jz swap in many ways. The cost is just slightly less than the RB swap do to more availability of the 2jz in the US.

-Bob

sorry to burst your bubble, but the N/A blocks are just as strong as the TT blocks. My fabricator is currently running a NA block which he purchased complete for $500, ran a 10 second pass this year on a low boost setting.

http://www.supertmotorsports.com/dave.html

There are so many myths about the supra engine floating around that its a joke, people go and spend $2000 for a motor that can be had for $1500 less. Its just like in the 70-83 Z community how people are so quick to diagnose their problem as the ECU or the AFM when a little bit of research would provide a much much cheaper fix.

Your not bursting any bubble, just clarifying. I missed that you were using the NA block,(Missed your second post).

And while I am sure the NA block is extremely strong, I wouldn't put it in the same category as the TT block. I would be very surprised if the NA short block is identical,(meaning every part is the exact same and no parts are missing). My comments stand for the TT block and accessories.

However, good on you for identifying the NA block as a possible substitute. However, it would help others if you outline what is modified to make it a turbo motor and to help it support that power as it may mislead people into how much money is required. I would gather a custom exhaust manifold of some kind, turbo, not to mention intercooler, upgraded radiator, etc... are all part of the "cheap" swap.

More power to you for making it work, just don't expect it to be a cake walk with respect to how much you will eventually spend.

-Bob

oh his website he says he is using a 2JZ-GTE motor not the non-turbo motor.. unless he made a mistake. Im very big into supras and i know they can make CRAZY power and so can the n/a's but there internals arent as strong as the TT's, theres alot of little things that makes the TT a much more reliable motor and strong motor.

i wish you the best of luck as its gonna be a crazy swap! im sure its gonna be a tight fit with the exhaust manifold and with a hugh turbo.

mike

oh his website he says he is using a 2JZ-GTE motor not the non-turbo motor.. unless he made a mistake. Im very big into supras and i know they can make CRAZY power and so can the n/a's but there internals arent as strong as the TT's' date=' theres alot of little things that makes the TT a much more reliable motor and strong motor.

i wish you the best of luck as its gonna be a crazy swap! im sure its gonna be a tight fit with the exhaust manifold and with a hugh turbo.

mike[/quote']

His site hasnt been updated in about a year.

Anyone going to Route66 next weekend? He will be there.